[FACT] All signs are pointing to a re-release or new material

It's So Easy

The future GnR release will sell more than Libertad. ;)

Not a very lofty goal there mate............If not then NuGuns is doomed

Not a very lofty goal? I never said it was a "lofty" goal, did I.

No. Your obfuscation was well played, but you know what I meant by that post. Oh yes you do. You and I have tangled too many times for you to miss what I snuck in there. Slash done run his mouth for years. Whether consciously or subconsciously, Axl is intending to even the score with Slash. It's personal now. And it ain't over yet. And so... soon, quietly (or maybe not quietly who knows?), Axl will give the world a taste. While Slash has won the court of public opinion, Axl is going to counter parry with something much more meaningful- a kickass album. You wait and see.

Thank you I'll be here all night.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contraband's worldwide sales are at 4 million. 2.9 million in the US. Chinese's are estimated to be somewhere around 3-3.5 million. Even the Axl Drones acknowledge this. And Contraband didn't have over a decade of hype tha GNR name to mooch off of.

Even the Negative Drones can admit that this album didn't have 10 years of hype.

Off of this message board and htgth, the rest of the rock world didn't really care that much about what Axl was doing. And most of the publicity was negative, making fun of Axl for taking so long to make and release an album. As well as negative press for his role in breaking up the old lineup.

Vel revolver got as much hype as any rock band around in that time frame. There was constant stories and publicity around the newest supergroup.

Bobbo, we all know that you have a lot of negative feelings towards Axl and the band. But a lot of your statements are just as off-base as the Axl fan boys. They find positive in every thing he does, you always expand the negative aspect.

Contraband's worldwide sales are at 4 million. 2.9 million in the US. Chinese's are estimated to be somewhere around 3-3.5 million. Even the Axl Drones acknowledge this. And Contraband didn't have over a decade of hype and the GNR name to mooch off of.

Well pardon me, I'm just a silly Axl drone, but would you be so kind as to share your source? Gimme the bibliography, buddy. You can't just post numbers and say "these are real." C'mon now, I want to know the real numbers.

there's no way Velvet had more coverage than Axl did with CD. Sure the casual fans didn't know every ongoing issue (the leaks, Merck, Slash coming to Axl's house, etc.), but EVERYBODY that gave a remote shit about this band post 1996, knew these main points: Slash was gone (so were all the others, but attentions mostly focused on Slash), Axl was continuing on with Guns N Roses, without...ermmm....Guns N Roses, having every guy other than Dizzy replaced, and they were working on an album that was hyped by the media, and filled fans up with curiousity. Oh, and it was taking them forever to finish and release.

Hi there. Guns n Roses performed at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards. Perhaps you didn't know about it. But in the U.S., MTV is a big media entity. That program got good ratings. Then there was buzz afterward on the internet and television. So, a lot of people knew that Guns was reshaped and reimagined.

Also, you talk about "hype." If I'm not mistaken, Slash was in the media a lot during the 2000's. Car commercials, talk shows, mtv videos, interviews aplenty, collaborations, video games. He was everywhere. "Hey look at me! Look at me! I'm Slash!" Oh and Chinese Democracy got plenty of bad press. People have the internet, you know. it went multi-platinum despite media negativity.

So things were a little more even than you're portraying it. Even if you won't admit it.

Just out of curiousity, does anybody know what Libertad sold worldwide?

Don't know worldwide, but the last recorded sales in the US (Oct 2007 when it fell off the charts) was 222,000 copies.

It was certified gold in Canada and New Zealand.

Edited by spirit83

Contraband's worldwide sales are at 4 million. 2.9 million in the US. Chinese's are estimated to be somewhere around 3-3.5 million. Even the Axl Drones acknowledge this. And Contraband didn't have over a decade of hype and the GNR name to mooch off of.

contraband came when people were still buying cds. at least a looooot more than in 2008.

next gnr cd as well as next velvet cd will both be lower sells. doent mean people dont like it

Well pardon me, I'm just a silly Axl drone, but would you be so kind as to share your source? Gimme the bibliography, buddy. You can't just post numbers and say "these are real." C'mon now, I want to know the real numbers.

There's never been any real numbers. The album was at 2.6 million in February 2009. And that's when CD was at the peak of it's game. After that, you really didn't hear people talk much about it anymore. But somehow it quietly sold another 2.5 million copies? If users like volcano don't even believe that, that's saying something. LMAO. Show me just one source other than that Chillie article that says the album sold 5 million, and we'll talk. Better yet, try to post it on wikipedia, and see if it's not removed within the next day or two. Funny how they don't have trouble with people posting that Contraband sold 4 million. One thing we know for absolute sure is that Contraband sold much more than CD in the US alone.

"There's never been any real numbers." Then you post numbers. Classic.

So, aside from you making up premises I never actually said, what was your source again? Again forgive me, it must be the pro-Axl bias in me that's making it hard for me to see what your source is. Could you just list it for me? Much appreciated, chief.

On the other side of the coin CD had no tour near the time of the release, no videos, no interviews by Axl, and was only sold at Best Buy. Axl didn't play the game so sales suffered.

On the other side of the coin CD had no tour near the time of the release, no videos, no interviews by Axl, and was only sold at Best Buy. Axl didn't play the game so sales suffered.

Funny how that works.

In one post, the negative nannies will say cd was a failure because it was the most hyped album of all time and only sold x amount of copies. Then three posts later they will bash Axl for no interviews, no videos, and for doing no press.

It is easy to win a debate when you use BOTH sides of issue to support your claim. Clowns.

Well seeing as how Contraband sold more than Chinese Democracy...

Yeah? By how much? Since you went there...

Not that it matters but, as of August 2005 Contraband sold 1,783,565 copies: http://vhnd.com/old/articles/050809-03.shtml

As of April 2011 Chinese Democracy has sold 614,00 copies: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/guns_n_roses_chinese_democracy_re-enters_us_charts.html

contraband came when people were still buying cds. at least a looooot more than in 2008.

Interesting thing about that is, Chinese Democracy actually had higher 1st week sales than Contraband did. Contraband sold 256,000 its 1st week out and took the top spot (#1) on the Billboard charts: http://www.rockdetector.com/artist/united+states/california/los+angeles/velvet+revolver

Chinese Democracy sold 261,200 its 1st week out and landed at #3 on the charts: http://newsroom.mtv.com/2008/12/03/chinese-democracys-sluggish-sales-what-happened-to-guns-n-roses-long-awaited-release/

Now, pertaining to the topic of this thread, I thought the same thing nearly a month ago when I brought it to everyone's attention that Best Buy was no longer carrying CD. However, now with the tour quickly approaching, and nobody has said anything to even remotely hint that a re-release is imminent, and knowing that things with this band tend to not make sense and sometimes end up in a clusterfuck I'm doubtful that a re-release will be happening in the near future. I hope I'm proven wrong....

Oh, and to whoever it was that said Axl is probably abusing painkillers: 1st) That's a pretty bold statement/assumption to make and 2nd) This is one time I think it would be great if Axl, Fernando, or Beta came on here and verbally assaulted you, for that comment.

Edited by tat2d1

Hilarious. "Probably just a deluxe edition at a show." "Maybe a DVD release." Talk about delusional. When has this band (or Axl) EVER given us something special like that? Answer: Never. So I'm not really sure why you'd expect anything now.

They'll play the same songs at all of the dates, and for some reason people will come on here and say "Great setlist tonight!" Even though it's the same songs they've played the last 10 nights, in almost the exact same order.

Funny how that works.

In one post, the negative nannies will say cd was a failure because it was the most hyped album of all time and only sold x amount of copies. Then three posts later they will bash Axl for no interviews, no videos, and for doing no press.

It is easy to win a debate when you use BOTH sides of issue to support your claim. Clowns.

I believe the album was promoted very well by outside sources, the media, and best buy. I personally don't think a music video would've made much of a difference. I can't remember the last time I've had or heard anybody have a conversation about a music video since trl went off the air. Like a music video being played at 3AM on MTV would've made a significant difference. The no tour thing is spot on, but then again, the record had enough hype on it's own and had been toured since 2001. As for the interview, axl DID do an interview, granted a month after the album was released, and did the forum chats which were publicized in the press. Yes it probably would've made a difference had he done an interview with rolling stone or something, but again, I don't personally believe it would've made a signficant change of impact.

As for the best exclusive deal in the US, it's not best buys fault they couldn't move the record. Idk about how they were around you, but my best buy had a big banner hanging outside the parking lot saying "chinese democracy avaliable 11/23/08", they had posters on the door, they had the stands, and a ton of media publicity. What more did you want them to do on their end? Have a life sized blow up doll of axl for you to french?

I just think the whole "lack of promotion" thing is, for the most part, not all, a cop out.

Well, first off videos are still watched...they're just watched on Youtube...not for Mtv. And if videos, touring at the time of a record being released, and giving interviews to big media weren't important, why does every other big band do it? For their own vanity?

As far as Best Buy is a factor for the simple reason that CD wasn't in such high traffic stores like WalMart and Target. To think this didn't have an effect is crazy.

Like I said, Axl refused to play the game, sales suffered for it. Its his fault, but don't act like none of those things wouldn't have helped sales.

Releasing another record without massive marketing would be career suicide, not touring. All fans will buy tickets with or without new material on set list. But releasing new album or something like that without any media bombing would result as big pile of crap. I don't think anything new is coming out this year. Maybe I'm wrong...who knows...Axl knows for sure, ask him, but wait, he can not use twitter to tell something to fans. :)

Hilarious. "Probably just a deluxe edition at a show." "Maybe a DVD release." Talk about delusional. When has this band (or Axl) EVER given us something special like that? Answer: Never. So I'm not really sure why you'd expect anything now.

They'll play the same songs at all of the dates, and for some reason people will come on here and say "Great setlist tonight!" Even though it's the same songs they've played the last 10 nights, in almost the exact same order.

nights=years