Duff Mckagan: "Maybe I had something to do with that. It's not everybody else's fault. I was an equal part of GnR."

Nosaj Thing

• 3 weeks later...

Great interview and GREAT book by Duff. Was so refreshing to read a 'rock n roll bio' that didnt somehow rehash the same old shit like, "Dude we were drinking whiskey and these chicks like, they were like naked and shit". I actually found the book to be really inspiring.

The "sex life of rock stars" is fine for a Howard Stern interview, but if you're writing a book that's about your entire life... he's been working in music for a really really long time, and just talking about being in Seattle and relocating to LA trying to make it big is a story in itself. Then all about how someone could be so damn successful and self-destructive. Most people would want to enjoy it, not abuse themselves. And the drugs/booze were a presence long before GNR, it just enabled them to have more of it.

Most of the reviews were about how he didn't turn the book into a salacious read. The reason why "Hammer of the Gods" was, was because their road manager was the one indulging in bad behavior with John Bonham. And some people said that he's a big reason why Bonham got out of control. He also admitted to exaggerating to sell copies, and then wrote a second book. John Paul Jones is prob. the only one who could write the real inside story on the band because Plant's too guarded about it, and Jimmy has no intention of discussing his private life. But just like McKagan, Jones was also a busy guy before Led Zep and knew a lot of people, worked on a lot of sessions, and after Zep, produced a bunch of people.