2012 GnR Tour ----

Apollo

Had an interesting discussion with a poster in another topic about this. Felt it deserves it's own thread.

If GnR tours in the summer of 2012 under this banner:

"GnR will be playing all 15 songs from the upcoming (or just released) new album For The Nutters, as well as all 14 songs from Chinese Democracy. No songs created prior to 1994 will be played. You won't get the classics like PC and SCOM, but you will get both of the new band's complete albums played live."

Would you go? Even knowing that no old songs would be played?

And what do you think the attendance would be.

If Gnr is currently getting 15,000 in large cities and 6000 in small markets on this tour. How do you think those numbers look under this new tour?

I personally would love to see the show. I'd go see ANY of my favorite bands if they played their entire new album. But some people think that attendance would be non-existent if they didn't play the Appetite and Illusion classics. I find the topic interesting, as some people have been saying that GnR needs to "stand on its own feet and stop living off the classics." But then somebody else says if they do that, nobody will come!!!

What do you all think?

Axl could easily call it a solo album and have more success with it than with the GNR name, EVEN THEN he would sing a few songs from the GNR because he wrote them. I don't see this happening. The nuGNR doesn't feel like a true RNR band (they like each other, hang out, drink, go out, joke, but that's only human). I can't see them pulling that one off. If it did happen, I would just go to the concert and try to get backstage just to talk to Axl.

Most know the old songs. Most go because of the old songs. Unless they start do some major promotion on new material and highlight the current members for awhile beforehand, all new material at a show would not be a good idea.

Fans that do not follow the band closely or frequent the message boards still dont know the new band really well.

Most know the old songs. Most go because of the old songs. Unless they start do some major promotion on new material and highlight the current members for awhile beforehand, all new material at a show would not be a good idea.

Fans that do not follow the band closely or frequent the message boards still dont know the new band really well.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. We hard core's live in our little GNR bubble, but everyone that I know who isn't a huge fan doesn't know or doesn't really care to know about the new band, and only knows the classics. They would probably decide against seeing the new band perform ONLY new material, unless the new songs got a lot of radio play, music videos, promotion, etc. which, after seeing what they did with Chinese Democracy....

hard to say, because the 'casual fan' might not know that only new material is going to be played, until the show actually happens...so the first few might have similar attendance as previous tours, but as time goes on, and people catch wind that they haven't been play SCOM, WTTJ, PC, etc....then attendance might drop....who knows by how much...I'd guess maybe by about 30%....

It's a terrible idea... people would be pissed in general. This would please only a small group of fans and would destroy GN'R in my opinion. I would go myself but I'm sure that I'd not be entirely happy with a GN'R show that was missing some of the songs I grew up loving. I would be happy to hear new music but at the same time I always love to hear the classics. People go to a GN'R concert and expect to hear certain songs... Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain, Patience, Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone come to mind. You could also add You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen, Knocking on Heavens Door, Live and Let Die, It's So Easy and even Estranged (since they started playing it again) to the mix. I'm not saying they need to play all of them every night but they can't throw them out altogether. A healthy dose of the classics mixed in with a good chunk of the CD stuff and newer material is the best and probably the only way to go.

Edited by mustaine

So what is your estimate then?

If the current tour would draw 10,000 people in your city. If an only CD and new album tour came next summer, how many would show up?

I'd say 9000........you?

I would go in a heartbeat but the overall ticket sales would depend on many different things. If they do advertise it as all newer songs, how well will they promote it? What size venues would they play? And most importantly how good will the new songs be? Cause if the songs don't go over well, the negative reviews might sway some people on top of that

Edited by WhazUp

So what is your estimate then?

If the current tour would draw 10,000 people in your city. If an only CD and new album tour came next summer, how many would show up?

I'd say 9000........you?

Wow! Have to say the ONLY complaints I have read outside these forums about the recent shows have been "too many new songs". And 1 in 50 or so of the reviewers have pointed out a CD song as a highlight of the show. I would honestly say max. 2000 for the first couple of shows. And even that's a stretch.

Well that is sad. That would mean GnR is soley a nostalgic act then.

If new music won't get people excited......that is a bummer.

I'm not proposing they do this.

Just had a discussion about it with somebody. Some people say GnR needs to play more new songs and stand on the new bands feet. But others say attendance would dissapear if they did that.

My dream?

I would keep the staples. Nov Rain, Jungle, scom, pc, nightrain, rocket, ucbm, patience, don't cry, estranged.

And play 5-6 Cd songs.

And 5-6 new songs.

Then rotate the filler songs. Lald, heavens door, otgm, Mr brownstone, whole lot of rose, etc. Rotate those songs withe

yesterdays, civil war, prostitute, irs, your crazy, perfect crime, etc. Change it up every couple shows and pick 6-7 songs from that group.

Well that is sad. That would mean GnR is soley a nostalgic act then.

If new music won't get people excited......that is a bummer.

I'm not proposing they do this.

Just had a discussion about it with somebody. Some people say GnR needs to play more new songs and stand on the new bands feet. But others say attendance would dissapear if they did that.

My dream?

I would keep the staples. Nov Rain, Jungle, scom, pc, nightrain, rocket, ucbm, patience, don't cry, estranged.

And play 5-6 Cd songs.

And 5-6 new songs.

Then rotate the filler songs. Lald, heavens door, otgm, Mr brownstone, whole lot of rose, etc. Rotate those songs withe

yesterdays, civil war, prostitute, irs, your crazy, perfect crime, etc. Change it up every couple shows and pick 6-7 songs from that group.

New music will still get people excited. Having said that, we're talking about GN'R, the band is built on great songs that are considered classics. You need to play a fair amount of those songs live to keep everyone happy. It's not a question of new music not being great or interesting, it's all about the legacy of the band. You need to celebrate the past as well as embrace the future.

The setlist they are playing right now is great, strikes a good balance. Only tweak I would like to see would be to throw in a different UYI song here & there (get in the ring, back off bitch, etc) or something new that has not been released yet to give us an idea of the direction the new stuff may take.

You are high off of your ass if you think this is a good idea.

They can play all the old songs they want, they just need to cycle the setlist regularly ala The Rolling Stones.

On a similar note, the songs that they do play regularly ala Jungle, Nightrain - you should mix up the way you play them. Bust out an acoustic version.

The players in this band have more than enough talent.

I'd rather take a sloppier show that's trying it's damnedest to please you that a "perfect" safe setlist that doesn't change that often.

Oh, you mean like the old band? But yeah, the "AFD tour" needs to stop and needs more UYI, Lies and CD. Especially UYI if the show is to be made more interesting.

Yeah. If they start playing the new songs and get serious about another record they'll be forced to play more UYI stuff as it fits better together. So we'll see.

You are high off of your ass if you think this is a good idea.

They can play all the old songs they want, they just need to cycle the setlist regularly ala The Rolling Stones.

On a similar note, the songs that they do play regularly ala Jungle, Nightrain - you should mix up the way you play them. Bust out an acoustic version.

The players in this band have more than enough talent.

I'd rather take a sloppier show that's trying it's damnedest to please you that a "perfect" safe setlist that doesn't change that often.

Did u read the original post? I didnt say it would be a good idea.

I would love personally but it would be like when motley Crüe got John corabie ... First shoe would 4 thousand next would be 1200 and the "welcome to the theatre!" which I would love but axl would never do it.. Man likes to get PAID!

Never happens... But we can dream

We are fans of this band, but to the shows not only gone people who wrote in forums, there are a lot of people who want hear some new music with the classics. It's a terrible idea to performance only new songs in a show, most of people don't know it and will be very static.