The Unstoppable Guns N' Roses

sailaway

Shit can't read it at work for some reason? Can you copy and paste please?

How many mavericks are left out there?

When you really think about it, there aren't many modern artists who will genuinely rattle society's cage and push the envelope to the point of changing the rest of us for the better. They're definitely not on YouTube, and they're certainly not being found by major labels. Most of today's "musicians", gatekeepers, and tastemakers are far too concerned with what's working at the moment, what's safe for general consumption, or what has the biggest social media numbers. However, that fear isn't what produces classic records.

It's the fearless ones who write the soundtrack to our lives and give us shows we remember forever. Even after all of these years, there's still no one more fearless than Guns N' Roses mainman Axl Rose.

Ever since Guns N' Roses revolutionized rock 'n' roll with Appetite for Destruction, Rose has rightfully been a legend. However, he gets better with every album, and that's a fact. Appetite ripped a hole right through pop culture with a combination of honest gutter poetry and metallic proficiency as well as the best voice the world had seen since Robert Plant.

Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II saw Rose seamlessly volley between demonic punk thrash on "Right Next Door to Hell" and "Back Off Bitch" to the piano-driven brilliance of "November Rain" and elegant darkness of "Coma". Let's not forget the vicious bitch-slap of "Get in the Ring" and "You Could Be Mine" or the utmost epic "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and "Civil War". The Illusion albums vaulted Rose to a level that most songwriters and singers rarely achieve. We're talking John Lennon, Mick Jagger, and Roger Daltrey territory.

In many ways, 2008's Chinese Democracy genuinely continued that tradition of evolution, further propelling Axl on that upward trajectory as an irrefutable rock divinity. [Jaded industry folk screaming for the importance of online presence also take note: Guns N' Roses has over 12 million Facebook fans too and Axl has over 225k Twitter followers, just saying…]

Let's face it, he already was a legend by the time he recorded the long-awaited Democracy, but the record is a classic in its own right. It delivers on a myriad of levels. The siren swell and neck-breaking riff at the beginning of the title track charge forward with Rose's war cry as he screams, "It don't really matter". Those first words prove extremely prescient. Nothing does matter but the fact that the song pummels and pulverizes poignantly as does all of Rose's best work.

On the band's recent run of 2011 dates, Guns N' Roses has been opening up with the song, and it's the perfect first salvo for them to explode right out of the gate with. Guitarists DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus, and Bumblefoot practically set off an atom bomb of flawless riffs and leads, illuminating that Guns N' Roses is as fortified, fiery, and formidable as ever. Throughout the set, each of those gentlemen receives the spotlight to shred.

"Shackler's Revenge" melds industrial infectiousness to the classic guitar, drum, and bass assault as Rose crescendos between the various vocal personae that have always made him so undeniably intriguing. "Better" follows suit, treading soulful territory over guitar and keyboard effects. The real marvel is that Rose, longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed, bass master Tommy Stinson, keyboardist Chris Pitman, drummer Frank Ferrer, and the three-tiered six-string warriors impeccably bring this to life on stage.

Once Chinese Democracy is alive, it's like Dr. Frankenstein's monster—massive and out for blood. Other recent cuts such as "Madagascar" and "Street Dreams" emanate a soulful swagger a la Elton John with a street grit and gusto that's purely Rose.

These songs also hold up alongside every bit of new material that the band is playing. Rose's piano solo elegantly bleeds right into the pulsating heartbeat of "November Rain" and "You Could Be Mine", "It's so Easy", and "Rocket Queen" all pack the same punch. When Rose and Co. take everyone to "Paradise City," there are few concert moments as magical to this day.

In addition, the press continues to laud those magic moments. About the tour, Rolling Stone wrote, "Rose and the band are really cooking", while Chicago Sun Times professed, "Guns N' Roses is best when they kick hard and keep moving, and amazingly that's what they did for three hours." Loudwire adds, "GN'R sounds tight as hell as they look great rocking out on that massive stage" and "Axl Rose still performs with the stamina of an 18-year-old-kid."

With a recent rare Rose interview under his belt for VH1's That Metal Show, heavy metal guru Eddie Trunk exclaims, "He's still Axl Rose, and he's masterfully found a way to be interesting." One of his peers, Zakk Wylde, puts it best, "As a frontman, nobody's come close to him."

Listen to Chinese Democracy or witness Guns N' Roses on tour this fall right now. Every note rings as true as the first howls from "Welcome to the Jungle".

There's still only one king of the Jungle, and he's the maverick this world needs now more than ever.

— Rick Florino

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/feature-guns-n-roses-and-the-unstoppable-axl-rose-on-tour-in-2011/9801571

Shit can't read it at work for some reason? Can you copy and paste please?

How many mavericks are left out there?

When you really think about it, there aren't many modern artists who will genuinely rattle society's cage and push the envelope to the point of changing the rest of us for the better. They're definitely not on YouTube, and they're certainly not being found by major labels. Most of today's "musicians", gatekeepers, and tastemakers are far too concerned with what's working at the moment, what's safe for general consumption, or what has the biggest social media numbers. However, that fear isn't what produces classic records.

It's the fearless ones who write the soundtrack to our lives and give us shows we remember forever. Even after all of these years, there's still no one more fearless than Guns N' Roses mainman Axl Rose.

Ever since Guns N' Roses revolutionized rock 'n' roll with Appetite for Destruction, Rose has rightfully been a legend. However, he gets better with every album, and that's a fact. Appetite ripped a hole right through pop culture with a combination of honest gutter poetry and metallic proficiency as well as the best voice the world had seen since Robert Plant.

Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II saw Rose seamlessly volley between demonic punk thrash on "Right Next Door to Hell" and "Back Off Bitch" to the piano-driven brilliance of "November Rain" and elegant darkness of "Coma". Let's not forget the vicious bitch-slap of "Get in the Ring" and "You Could Be Mine" or the utmost epic "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and "Civil War". The Illusion albums vaulted Rose to a level that most songwriters and singers rarely achieve. We're talking John Lennon, Mick Jagger, and Roger Daltrey territory.

In many ways, 2008's Chinese Democracy genuinely continued that tradition of evolution, further propelling Axl on that upward trajectory as an irrefutable rock divinity. [Jaded industry folk screaming for the importance of online presence also take note: Guns N' Roses has over 12 million Facebook fans too and Axl has over 225k Twitter followers, just saying…]

Let's face it, he already was a legend by the time he recorded the long-awaited Democracy, but the record is a classic in its own right. It delivers on a myriad of levels. The siren swell and neck-breaking riff at the beginning of the title track charge forward with Rose's war cry as he screams, "It don't really matter". Those first words prove extremely prescient. Nothing does matter but the fact that the song pummels and pulverizes poignantly as does all of Rose's best work.

On the band's recent run of 2011 dates, Guns N' Roses has been opening up with the song, and it's the perfect first salvo for them to explode right out of the gate with. Guitarists DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus, and Bumblefoot practically set off an atom bomb of flawless riffs and leads, illuminating that Guns N' Roses is as fortified, fiery, and formidable as ever. Throughout the set, each of those gentlemen receives the spotlight to shred.

"Shackler's Revenge" melds industrial infectiousness to the classic guitar, drum, and bass assault as Rose crescendos between the various vocal personae that have always made him so undeniably intriguing. "Better" follows suit, treading soulful territory over guitar and keyboard effects. The real marvel is that Rose, longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed, bass master Tommy Stinson, keyboardist Chris Pitman, drummer Frank Ferrer, and the three-tiered six-string warriors impeccably bring this to life on stage.

Once Chinese Democracy is alive, it's like Dr. Frankenstein's monster—massive and out for blood. Other recent cuts such as "Madagascar" and "Street Dreams" emanate a soulful swagger a la Elton John with a street grit and gusto that's purely Rose.

These songs also hold up alongside every bit of new material that the band is playing. Rose's piano solo elegantly bleeds right into the pulsating heartbeat of "November Rain" and "You Could Be Mine", "It's so Easy", and "Rocket Queen" all pack the same punch. When Rose and Co. take everyone to "Paradise City," there are few concert moments as magical to this day.

In addition, the press continues to laud those magic moments. About the tour, Rolling Stone wrote, "Rose and the band are really cooking", while Chicago Sun Times professed, "Guns N' Roses is best when they kick hard and keep moving, and amazingly that's what they did for three hours." Loudwire adds, "GN'R sounds tight as hell as they look great rocking out on that massive stage" and "Axl Rose still performs with the stamina of an 18-year-old-kid."

With a recent rare Rose interview under his belt for VH1's That Metal Show, heavy metal guru Eddie Trunk exclaims, "He's still Axl Rose, and he's masterfully found a way to be interesting." One of his peers, Zakk Wylde, puts it best, "As a frontman, nobody's come close to him."

Listen to Chinese Democracy or witness Guns N' Roses on tour this fall right now. Every note rings as true as the first howls from "Welcome to the Jungle".

There's still only one king of the Jungle, and he's the maverick this world needs now more than ever.

— Rick Florino

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/feature-guns-n-roses-and-the-unstoppable-axl-rose-on-tour-in-2011/9801571

Thanks for posting,I'm on cell at the moment :thumbsup:

Haven't quite got the knack of this New compu-phone.

Looks like this guy was very inspired when he wrote this article :lol:

But, I couldn't agree with him more. Nice to read something with a good vibe about GNR.

Unstoppable? Something obviously stopped him from performing in Albany. Sorry...just bitter.

The venue stopped them. You're not implying it was Axl's fault was it? Because no source ever mentioned fault on his part so that came from someone's ass.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Yes! great to see positivity out there and not trying to spam or anything, but I also wrote a rather positive review on the Hartford show that Gn'R published on their twitter today..u can see it if u scroll down a lil' https://twitter.com/#!/gunsnroses

the review is available here http://ppruks.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-first-concert-review.html give it a read, if you want..

Axl is the last of the larger than life rock frontmen, no doubt about it. That's why I think it's special whenever he tours or is active.

That's why he's been drawing huge crowds around the world. People go just to see him. He is the most interesting man in rock music.

I really wish today's bands would take a lief out of Guns N' Roses book on how to put on a great show. A lot of popular bands today don't even have a shred of personality. They just play and go home.

Axl is the last of the larger than life rock frontmen, no doubt about it. That's why I think it's special whenever he tours or is active.

That's why he's been drawing huge crowds around the world. People go just to see him. He is the most interesting man in rock music.

I really wish today's bands would take a lief out of Guns N' Roses book on how to put on a great show. A lot of popular bands today don't even have a shred of personality. They just play and go home.

The modern rock scene is quite simply boring. Cookie cutter garbage, almost unlistenable.

There's no rock stars in the modern era of rock. Noel and Liam were really the last two rock stars to come along. Rap Stars basically took over for rock stars during the mid 90's.

A lot of the rap stars are more like divas who just annoy the shit out of people. Noel, Liam and Axl are the last because everyone else is either dead or retired.

Unstoppable? Something obviously stopped him from performing in Albany. Sorry...just bitter.

The venue stopped them. You're not implying it was Axl's fault was it? Because no source ever mentioned fault on his part so that came from someone's ass.

"Something obviously stopped him from performing in Albany" is hardly implying that it was Axl's fault. I have always been a fan of Axl's and have defended him through and through whenever anyone said anything bad about him more times than I can count or even remember. But I have to disagree with you when you say the venue stopped them. Here are the quotes from the venue. "We just got word that due to production issues the Guns and Roses show scheduled for tomorrow night has been cancelled. Refunds are available at the original point of purchase." and "Despite what everyone thinks, it was not the arena that cancelled this show. We were looking forward to it just as much as the rest of you!"

I was tracking what tickets were available in Albany for a few weeks as I had a feeling that the ticket sales were low. Stained was also in town and the radio stations were promoting the hell out of the Stained show. As of the day it was cancelled, you could get seats through Ticketmaster in section 104 and 122 as well as GA tickets. As soon as I found out it was cancelled, I went to Ticketmaster for DCU tickets and you could get section 107 and GA. Later that night the best seats you could get was 105 and GA. (You can google seating charts for Times Union Center and DCU if you are not familiar with where these sections are). Also within an hour of the announcement for the Albany cancellation, tickets being sold at ticketliquidator.com, acetickets.com went up by $250 for sec 109 at DCU. They went from $630 to $880. So this makes me think that ticket sales at both venues were low. If low ticket sales was the "production issues" then they probably figured they would try and combine the two shows thinking that the Albany ticket holders would go to Worcester as it is only a few hours drive and they are already excited to go. IF this is what happened, then production did a great job as it worked.

Wow! Finally someone in the press gets it!

Thanks for sharing that awesome article. So glad Axl and the band are getting the respect they deserve.

I totally agree about the GNR records up to CD. That's how I feel too. Axl has progressed and grown with each album and that's how it should be!