The VIP Packages = Sellout?

watchman

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being paid for your work doesn't make you a sell-out. It makes you a professional.

Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out. So until you see Slash on stage with Axl, you do not have the right to call Axl a sell-out. As far as I'm concerned anyways.

Being paid to change your stance on anything makes you a sellout. Gene Simmons always said it was all about the money so at least that is consistent with him whoring out the Kiss name to coffin makers and condom companies. Axl specifically said "I think bands that charge fans to meet them is disgusting" and then he does it. To quote you "Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out.".

I don't have the right to call Axl a sell out?! Where are we man? Are we in a tyrannical country?? I don't have the right to express my harmless opinion that I have backed up with quotes?? Ha!

Gene Simmons was far from a business genius, although he's played a big part in marketing the band and looking into cutting costs when they needed to.

Bill Aucoin is a whole other story. 25 per cent gross commission from tour, recording and merchandising from 1974-1982. KISS then took the makeup off, but there really wasn't much focus on pimping out the name - they just made a lot of videos and toured. It wasn't until the reunion where they started slapping KISS on everything that Gene and Paul could make a dollar off of.

As far as being paid more to do what bands don't want to do - you also get into the area of lackluster shows, and doing the least required of them.

As for KISS, I saw them last summer I think (or was it this summer?). Anyway, I paid $10 to sit in the lawn, pretty much the best price I've ever paid for a show, and the show was fucking top-caliber. I know, I know, it's not the KISS of the 70's and no Peter or Ace. I'm not a hardcore fan, so I didn't really care. The stage was incredible. I didn't even know you could do what they did with that stage at an amphitheater, just from a logistical standpoint. I was so blown away. For $10 bucks and parking was free. It might be that you can buy all kinds of bonus KISS shit to fill your man cave or whatever, but as far as just going to a show and taking it in, Gene and Paul gave me a great fucking value, and I really appreciated it. It made me think about how much all the other bands are taking advantage of me, to not have 10% of the production value at 500% of the cost compared to KISS.

I refuse to pay any money to meet anybody, period. Being charged a fee, and a rather large one at that, is demeaning, and suggests on one hand a superiority of the musicians to the fans, and I will not stand for being less than an equal. On the other hand, it suggests that the members of the band are themselves a product, which I feel dehumanizes them and is demeaning to both parties.

And on a whole other level, I'm not that interested in meeting them even for free. I'm sure they really don't care to meet me. I have nothing interesting to say to them. "Hey man, I really enjoyed the show. Your music is very good." Does that add anything to either of our lives or justify either of us being forced to stand around and make an awkward conversation happen? Not really. I have nothing interesting to say to them and they probably have nothing interesting to say to me. Why bother? I'll just go to the show, enjoy it, and go on my merry way. If ever a band member happens to sit down next to me at a bar and we strike up a conversation, that's different, because that is two humans actually socializing, creating an actual, albeit temporary, relationship.

The whole meet and greet idea, especially for a charge, is kind of creepy to me.

I don't think it demeans the fans at all, or have the impression that any meet and greet has to do with superiority, any more than a band doing an in-store and there's a line going around the block of people waiting for hours.

What I think is ridiculous is party hosting for big money.

Let's compare:

Kim Kardashian is making an appearance.... for 600 THOUSAND dollars. 200 dollars per person. You get an open bar and fingerr foods, but in Vegas, you hit the slots for free drinks, or buy a couple of bottles at the liquor store. Compare that to seeing and hearing a great live band for half that amount. The meet and greet is an optional thing, but you can bet no one's getting near Kim's booty.

As for KISS, I saw them last summer I think (or was it this summer?). Anyway, I paid $10 to sit in the lawn, pretty much the best price I've ever paid for a show, and the show was fucking top-caliber. I know, I know, it's not the KISS of the 70's and no Peter or Ace. I'm not a hardcore fan, so I didn't really care. The stage was incredible. I didn't even know you could do what they did with that stage at an amphitheater, just from a logistical standpoint. I was so blown away. For $10 bucks and parking was free. It might be that you can buy all kinds of bonus KISS shit to fill your man cave or whatever, but as far as just going to a show and taking it in, Gene and Paul gave me a great fucking value, and I really appreciated it. It made me think about how much all the other bands are taking advantage of me, to not have 10% of the production value at 500% of the cost compared to KISS.

Paul and Gene have always been appreciative of the fan support, it's what keeps them playing shows, but I think they both enjoy it now more than ever. Gene and Paul wouldn't do it if they didn't like it - they just don't enjoy the travel part of it at their age. They pretty much know how much a show is going to cost, and in this economy, can figure out ways to get as many people as possible to their shows. And it is true that the cheaper the tickets, the more likely they're going to buy stuff.

And I think when Gene and Paul see kids out there, not little kids but teenagers and guys in their 20s, that keeps them motivated.

Being paid for your work doesn't make you a sell-out. It makes you a professional.

Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out. So until you see Slash on stage with Axl, you do not have the right to call Axl a sell-out. As far as I'm concerned anyways.

Being paid to change your stance on anything makes you a sellout. Gene Simmons always said it was all about the money so at least that is consistent with him whoring out the Kiss name to coffin makers and condom companies. Axl specifically said "I think bands that charge fans to meet them is disgusting" and then he does it. To quote you "Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out.".

I don't have the right to call Axl a sell out?! Where are we man? Are we in a tyrannical country?? I don't have the right to express my harmless opinion that I have backed up with quotes?? Ha!

Axl will not be at the meet and greet. Your point has been invalidated in the simplest way.

Okkkkkkkk there is no getting to you. I'll spell it out for you, not to try convince you, but to show others how illogical your arguments are.

The band "Guns N' Roses" are doing meet and greets.

Axl is the sole owner of the band Guns N' Roses.

Axl sanctioned the meet and greet for his band Guns N' Roses.

It is on the official Guns N' Roses website.

The meet and greets take place after a Guns N' Roses show with members of Guns N' Roses.

The VIP ticket says Guns N' Roses on it.

Here is Axl's exact quote, verbatim:

"But overall, charging fans for it, I think, [is] disgusting of bands. Now if they did it for free to winners of a contest, etc., that would be different. Charging is lame."

Notice he said 'bands'. Even if he is not there, his band is. And he approved the whole thing.

Have a nice day sir :)

Obviously, you have a problem with reading comprehension. Axl never said that always, under all circumstances, throughout all time and history should it be wrong for a band to do a meet and greet. He said "overall" he was against it, which necessarily means he is not against it in any and every case. You posted that quote, not me. So please don't try to back out of it with lawyer-esque double speak.

Personally, I can see why Axl would "overall" be against meet and greets that other bands have done because it can so easily be a rip-off. But as was clearly implied by his qualifying use of "overall," that isn't always the case. Clearly, the band and the band's management have found a way to provide an elevated worthwhile experience for their most dedicated fans. Instead of being grateful for their effort, the same few tired old so-called fans are using it as yet another opportunity to level the same tired old criticisms at Axl.

Here's my solution... don't buy a ticket for a meet and greet if it offends your sensibilities so deeply. Here's another solution... stop following a band if you hate them so much.

BAHAHAHAHAAHAHA ohhh I'm in stitches here. Really, I'm dying. You are good value man!

Funny, you say I'm the one with 'reading comprehension' but you say I hate the band simply because I point out a GLARING contradiction. Being critical of something does not mean you hate it.

Has anyone ever changed their mind about something?

I used to tell everyone and anyone who would listen that none of my kids would have pacifiers. Then I had kids and I wished for some way to attach the damn things to the child so they wouldn't pop out of their mouths.

Axl is allowed to change his mind. Everyone does it eventually.

Has anyone ever changed their mind about something?

I used to tell everyone and anyone who would listen that none of my kids would have pacifiers. Then I had kids and I wished for some way to attach the damn things to the child so they wouldn't pop out of their mouths.

Axl is allowed to change his mind. Everyone does it eventually.

You are a sell out!!! Only kidding :P

Difference is there is monetary compensation involved, which is probably the reason of the change of heart. Like I said before, the music business is in the fucken toilet and bands do meet and greets to help compensate for CD sales diminishing, that's fine. But he did contradict himself in a big big way.

It bothers me that they are charging $250 or whatever it is, to meet 'Guns N' Roses' and you wont meet one member who contributed anything significant to GNR's history. It's pretty crazy you will meet a couple of guys who are basically hired hands. Just seems silly, you are paying for the name GNR. If Axl was there fair enough, but when u have nothing but the new guys it's just crazy. I'd say $250 is expensive not cheap, to meet those particular guys. Just my opinion.

It bothers me that they are charging $250 or whatever it is, to meet 'Guns N' Roses' and you wont meet one member who contributed anything significant to GNR's history. It's pretty crazy you will meet a couple of guys who are basically hired hands. Just seems silly, you are paying for the name GNR. If Axl was there fair enough, but when u have nothing but the new guys it's just crazy. I'd say $250 is expensive not cheap, to meet those particular guys. Just my opinion.

So don't pay it. It's not like they don't sell standalone tickets to the show. You don't even have to buy those if you don't want to.

185px-Batman_derp.png

So don't pay it. It's not like they don't sell standalone tickets to the show. You don't even have to buy those if you don't want to.

185px-Batman_derp.png

I know, and I wouldn't. Not trying to insult anyone who would want to do it, I'm just saying I find it pretty amazing this is being done. Actually, more surprised they can do it...

I know, and I wouldn't. Not trying to insult anyone who would want to do it, I'm just saying I find it pretty amazing this is being done. Actually, more surprised they can do it...

Well regular tickets are what? Let's say $60. Then you get a free shirt which are $40 at least. Then you get this laminate thing that I have no idea what is worth, so we'll say $5 dollars. Then you get an open bar and snacks, and that is priceless. So you're really not paying too much to meet the band.

+1

Well regular tickets are what? Let's say $60. Then you get a free shirt which are $40 at least. Then you get this laminate thing that I have no idea what is worth, so we'll say $5 dollars. Then you get an open bar and snacks, and that is priceless. So you're really not paying too much to meet the band.

That laminate isn't worth the paper its printed on. And I thought you only got a voucher for a drink or two. Im allset. Im a real fan. I don't want to waste my time b4 the show competing with hot girls to get a word in with some of the hired hands. Its not like they ever have anything of real substance to talk about anyways. Now if slash, duff and izzy were there, I wouldn't even give a fuck if axl showed up tbh.

+1

They are GN'R members. I don't know why bothers you.... It's a optional pack. Buy if you want, if you don't want, don't buy.

That laminate isn't worth the paper its printed on. And I thought you only got a voucher for a drink or two. Im allset. Im a real fan. I don't want to waste my time b4 the show competing with hot girls to get a word in with some of the hired hands. Its not like they ever have anything of real substance to talk about anyways. Now if slash, duff and izzy were there, I wouldn't even give a fuck if axl showed up tbh.

Like I give a fuck about Slash, Duff and Izzy, or if you think it's worth it. You can whine about whatever you want to, just don't whine to me. There are obviously people that are more than happy to pay the money, or they wouldn't be doing it. And if you think a single mind is going to be changed because drtydane is crying about there being no classic members there, you need to reevaluate your lack of influence.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

So on the new website, for $ 250,00 you can buy VIP packages for the shows. I've seen pictures of some fans posing with almost the enitire band backstage.

I think it's very nice of the band to offer this to their fans but what I don't really understand....they charge you MONEY for meeting them? Not to be overcomplaining here, I understand the Meet & Greet is kind of a special bonus and can't be made available to just everyone but I think it's a bit unfair to SELL it.

I get the VIP package is more than just the M&G and the extra effort (drinks, merchandise, service) makes it more expensive, that's ok.

But what about the people who have followed and supported the band ever since and can not afford the VIP tickets? What about those who are not friends with the people who can get you backstage? Shouldn't meeting the guys be available to fans regardless their income?

I think a meeting shouldn't be part of a paid package, it should be free for the fans and on a volunteer basis for the band. No one of the band should be forced to do these and no fan should complain if Axl or anyone else won't show up there. It should be an option not an obligation. Unless you understand saying hi and a handshake as something you should be charging/paying money for.

How do you other fans feel about this?

In my oppinion they are not selling out. Like any other band G N' R needs mony and with the lack of attendance on the North American tour every extra dollar is welcome.

Im not crying. Just stating why I wouldn't shell out the dough. And the reason I mentioned the classic members is because they were an equal part of the band. Ive seen axl tour with this rotating cast 11 times now since 2001I so go fuck yourself. I wasn't crying. I was stating my opinion. Sorry the idea of paying to see members who aren't axl seems like whining rather than stating an opinion. Don't you see that as a problem in your logic?

If these guys we're equals to axl there would b reason to hang and talk with them, but nobody should b charged 250 bux to meet the guys who replaced the guys who died in the skynyrd crash without having the opportunity to meet the surviving couple original members.

I just think if axls going to sanction this, he should at least make it his business to b there rather than charging you fools for meeting "the guys who represent the idea of gnr." Seems to me he is just using the name to make an extra buck instead of doing something productive, and truly for the fans. If he can't show up to the meet and greet, and he needs the extra dough, then get off your ass and release a cd or dvd or something.

Edited by drtydane

Im not crying. Just stating why I wouldn't shell out the dough. And the reason I mentioned the classic members is because they were an equal part of the band. Ive seen axl tour with this rotating cast 11 times now since 2001I so go fuck yourself. I wasn't crying. I was stating my opinion. Sorry the idea of paying to see members who aren't axl seems like whining rather than stating an opinion. Don't you see that as a problem in your logic?

If these guys we're equals to axl there would b reason to hang and talk with them, but nobody should b charged 250 bux to meet the guys who replaced the guys the died in the skynyrd crash without having the opportunity to meet the survivor original members.

I just think if axls going to sanction this, he should at least make it his business to b there rather than charging you fools for meeting "the guys who represent the idea of gnr." Seems to me he is just using the name to make an extra buck instead of doing something productive, and truly for the fans. If he can't show up to the meet and greet, and he ne s

Nobody is forcing you to spend the money are they? This band has a fan base that would love to meet them and nobody is foolish for wanting to do that. The only thing foolish is you bitching about it. I have no idea where you were going to end up with that last sentence, so I won't bother replying to it.

Refresh your page. You don't need to get all bent out of shape cuz my opinions different than yours. And if im going to state my opinion im going to at least support my argument by citing examples

Not fighting with or trying to fight with anyone. Read the title of the thread. Obviously other people have similar views or this wouldn't even b a topic worthy of discussion.

And a couple drinks and access to a snack bar hundreds of fans are eating from is hardly priceless ...

Refresh your page. You don't need to get all bent out of shape cuz my opinions different than yours. And if im going to state my opinion im going to at least support my argument by citing examples

Not fighting with or trying to fight with anyone. Read the title of the thread. Obviously other people have similar views or this wouldn't even b a topic worthy of discussion.

And a couple drinks and access to a snack bar hundreds of fans are eating from is hardly priceless ...

Obviously, I haven't been there. I was under the impression that it was an open bar, and that would be priceless to me. And if hundreds of fans are there, they must be doing something right.

Yup. Appealing to those that are easy to please and making money off the brand. If axl isn't there, that's exactly how I see it. And its def only a drink or two. Im not saying its the worst thing they could b doing, but its s tad childish to tweak on me because I disagree with you on this minute detail. Really not something to get worked up about. I swear to god I think some of you would take a bullet for the guy, and that really sucks when he couldn't give a fuck enough about you to show up to his own bands meet and greet that you just shelled out 250.00 for. Don't agree with me, that's fine. That's wat these forums are for. But I have a legit argument. And I really don't think you can deny all my points either. I've been on these forums forever. I've seen the lack of appreciation from the man to the fans for even longer. He could make the effort to b there is my biggest problem with it I think.

Meet and greets are fine, as long as they're there to meet and greet with you rather than take your dough, not lift a finger, and send the new guy with the eye liner and the monster t shirt to meet me. Cuz that's really worth 250.00.

Edited by drtydane