The VIP Packages = Sellout?

watchman

So on the new website, for $ 250,00 you can buy VIP packages for the shows. I've seen pictures of some fans posing with almost the enitire band backstage.

I think it's very nice of the band to offer this to their fans but what I don't really understand....they charge you MONEY for meeting them? Not to be overcomplaining here, I understand the Meet & Greet is kind of a special bonus and can't be made available to just everyone but I think it's a bit unfair to SELL it.

I get the VIP package is more than just the M&G and the extra effort (drinks, merchandise, service) makes it more expensive, that's ok.

But what about the people who have followed and supported the band ever since and can not afford the VIP tickets? What about those who are not friends with the people who can get you backstage? Shouldn't meeting the guys be available to fans regardless their income?

I think a meeting shouldn't be part of a paid package, it should be free for the fans and on a volunteer basis for the band. No one of the band should be forced to do these and no fan should complain if Axl or anyone else won't show up there. It should be an option not an obligation. Unless you understand saying hi and a handshake as something you should be charging/paying money for.

How do you other fans feel about this?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably is selling out. But money talks amigo. Should albums be free because some fans can't afford to pay for them? Should concert tickets be free for those on or below the poverty line? You cannot possibly expect the band to voluntarily do meet and greats for fans who do not have a means of paying for it. For one, how would they gauge who is eligible? They can't meet 10,000 people a night or even 1,000. Would you rather they charge $250 for a VIP ticket for no meet and greet? Bands need to make money, especially in an era where CD sales sell about 1/3 of what they used to. Touring is not cheap. People forget about the overheads. You have 8 band members, not to mention Axl's entourage(management, tour manager, trainers etc), roadcrew, logistics for the heavy and expensive musical equipment and the band/crew themselves. People also forget that Ticketmaster take the majority of the profits from the tickets sold and that the opening acts get a slice of ticket sales too, it's not all for Guns N' Roses. Charging fans for a meet and greet may be selling out, but perfectly within the realms of morality and business.

Edited by Young_Gun

Not a fan of these but every other band pretty much does them. It was only a matter time before Guns was going to do them I guess. Re meeting the band I met Ron when he did a signing in London shortly after Chinese came out to promote his (then) new solo album Abnormal and Vigier guitars. Would be great if the band could do some other instore appearances.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Axl is not a sellout. You shut your dirty mouth.

Lol dude, he and the old band signed a record deal to a major label a long time ago, some purists say that is selling out. It doesn't help that Axl recently said he thinks bands that charge fans to meet them is disgusting either... I'm not saying he is Gene Simmons or Lars Ulrich(Metallica Monopoly.... Metallica baby lullabies...), but he is not the antithesis of a sell out either...

I think if Axl's not going to be involved they should make that clear when selling the tickets but otherwise I don't have a problem with it.

I would only pony up the cash if it was guaranteed Axl would be there. If the general consensus was that Axl rarely attends the meet and greets I wouldn't bother.

Edited by Young_Gun

Lol dude, he and the old band signed a record deal to a major label a long time ago, some purists say that is selling out. It doesn't help that Axl recently said he thinks bands that charge fans to meet them is disgusting either... I'm not saying he is Gene Simmons or Lars Ulrich(Metallica Monopoly.... Metallica baby lullabies...), but he is not the antithesis of a sell out either...

I think if Axl's not going to be involved they should make that clear when selling the tickets but otherwise I don't have a problem with it.

I would only pony up the cash if it was guaranteed Axl would be there. If the general consensus was that Axl rarely attends the meet and greets I wouldn't bother.

Axl Rose is not a sellout. You agree or you disagree. But I don't want to play any bullshit devil's advocate games.

Axl Rose is not a sellout. You agree or you disagree. But I don't want to play any bullshit devil's advocate games.

I disagree brother, nothing personal but if I must choose.... I have given examples of him selling out. He doesn't do it often or to the extent that others do, but he does do it.

Edited by Young_Gun

I don't see the big deal personally, GN'R's meet & greets are pretty cheap. Would you rather pay $1,200 to meet Steven Tyler and Joe Perry? :shrugs:

As far as the "fairness" aspect, everyone still has the ability to meet any band member for free, it's not impossible. In fact, more people on here have probably met a band member through a chance meeting than an arranged meeting.

Being paid for your work doesn't make you a sell-out. It makes you a professional.

Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out. So until you see Slash on stage with Axl, you do not have the right to call Axl a sell-out. As far as I'm concerned anyways.

Being paid to change your stance on anything makes you a sellout. Gene Simmons always said it was all about the money so at least that is consistent with him whoring out the Kiss name to coffin makers and condom companies. Axl specifically said "I think bands that charge fans to meet them is disgusting" and then he does it. To quote you "Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out.".

I don't have the right to call Axl a sell out?! Where are we man? Are we in a tyrannical country?? I don't have the right to express my harmless opinion that I have backed up with quotes?? Ha!

Edited by Young_Gun

Being paid for your work doesn't make you a sell-out. It makes you a professional.

Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out. So until you see Slash on stage with Axl, you do not have the right to call Axl a sell-out. As far as I'm concerned anyways.

Being paid to change your stance on anything makes you a sellout. Gene Simmons always said it was all about the money so at least that is consistent with him whoring out the Kiss name to coffin makers and condom companies. Axl specifically said "I think bands that charge fans to meet them is disgusting" and then he does it. To quote you "Being paid more money to do things you don't want to do makes you a sell-out.".

I don't have the right to call Axl a sell out?! Where are we man? Are we in a tyrannical country?? I don't have the right to express my harmless opinion that I have backed up with quotes?? Ha!

Axl's not the one doing the meet & greets though :tongue2:

Axl's not the one doing the meet & greets though :tongue2:

No but the band is, which is run by Axl :P So it has his sanction and approval. It's on the Guns N' Roses official site. Him not being at the meet and greet does not negate anything, in fact it would make it worse if he is not there for reasons I mentioned prior(I would only purchase VIP with a guarantee Axl would be there).

Axl specifically said "I think bands that charge fans to meet them is disgusting" and then he does it.

This.

I know that DJ, and Bumble enjoy doing it for free and still do it all the time but...yeah.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having a little chat with Fortus.

I...uh...don't really care to meet Axl...at all to fair.

Axl will not be at the meet and greet. Your point has been invalidated in the simplest way.

Axl will not be at the meet and greet. Your point has been invalidated in the simplest way.

Okkkkkkkk there is no getting to you. I'll spell it out for you, not to try convince you, but to show others how illogical your arguments are.

The band "Guns N' Roses" are doing meet and greets.

Axl is the sole owner of the band Guns N' Roses.

Axl sanctioned the meet and greet for his band Guns N' Roses.

It is on the official Guns N' Roses website.

The meet and greets take place after a Guns N' Roses show with members of Guns N' Roses.

The VIP ticket says Guns N' Roses on it.

Here is Axl's exact quote, verbatim:

"But overall, charging fans for it, I think, [is] disgusting of bands. Now if they did it for free to winners of a contest, etc., that would be different. Charging is lame."

Notice he said 'bands'. Even if he is not there, his band is. And he approved the whole thing.

Have a nice day sir :)

Yeah, either Axl is disgusted with what his bandmates have decided to do on their own with the GnR brand and with the help of whoever is in charge of the GnR website and store ( because Axl doesn't care about that at all, right ? ) or he changed his mind and doesn't find it disgusting anymore. :xmasssanta:

Okkkkkkkk there is no getting to you. I'll spell it out for you, not to try convince you, but to show others how illogical your arguments are.

The meet and greets take place after a Guns N' Roses show with members of Guns N' Roses.

"But overall, charging fans for it, I think, [is] disgusting of bands. Now if they did it for free to winners of a contest, etc., that would be different. Charging is lame."

Notice he said 'bands'. Even if he is not there, his band is. And he approved the whole thing.

Obviously, you have a problem with reading comprehension. Axl never said that always, under all circumstances, throughout all time and history should it be wrong for a band to do a meet and greet. He said "overall" he was against it, which necessarily means he is not against it in any and every case. You posted that quote, not me. So please don't try to back out of it with lawyer-esque double speak.

Personally, I can see why Axl would "overall" be against meet and greets that other bands have done because it can so easily be a rip-off. But as was clearly implied by his qualifying use of "overall," that isn't always the case. Clearly, the band and the band's management have found a way to provide an elevated worthwhile experience for their most dedicated fans. Instead of being grateful for their effort, the same few tired old so-called fans are using it as yet another opportunity to level the same tired old criticisms at Axl.

Here's my solution... don't buy a ticket for a meet and greet if it offends your sensibilities so deeply. Here's another solution... stop following a band if you hate them so much.

Would you rather pay $1,200 to meet Steven Tyler and Joe Perry? :shrugs:

I'd rather meet Guns N' Roses but not when they charge me money for it, as charging/paying for it is just disgraceful and takes away from the experience for both the fan AND the artist. I don't want them to be my personal zoo, I'm no less intresting of a person than they are and my time isn't less valuable either. If they don't feel like having their picture taken with me, they shouldn't be forced to do it just because I pay some extra money. What do they make with these? $3000 maybe $5000 extra per night? If they really need money that bad, there are more graceful ways to go about it. Maybe I'm too critical, I admit that, but for me the whole thing is less about money and all about personal dignity - for everyone involved.

I'd rather meet Guns N' Roses but not when they charge me money for it, as charging/paying for it is just disgraceful and takes away from the experience for both the fan AND the artist. I don't want them to be my personal zoo, I'm no less intresting of a person than they are and my time isn't less valuable either. If they don't feel like having their picture taken with me, they shouldn't be forced to do it just because I pay some extra money. What do they make with these? $3000 maybe $5000 extra per night? If they really need money that bad, there are more graceful ways to go about it. Maybe I'm too critical, I admit that, but for me the whole thing is less about money and all about personal dignity - for everyone involved.

Personally,, I wouldn't consider it an affront to a musician's dignity to have a picture taken with me. But maybe I just have a higher opinion of myself than you have of yourself.

$250 to meet DJ, Frank, Richard, Tommy, Chris, and BBF???

Pfff ... no thanks! To meet the real deal (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff ...) now that would be fair!!

Hey, just goes to show you... different strokes for different folks. I wouldn'cupcake out of bed to meet those guys, but then I was never into the whole 80's hair metal party boy thing.

All there is to it.

Honestly, I don't get the need some people have to defend everything their idol does. Axl clearly contradicted himself regarding this kind of stuff and, to use his words, it's lame.

It probably is selling out. But money talks amigo. Should albums be free because some fans can't afford to pay for them? Should concert tickets be free for those on or below the poverty line? You cannot possibly expect the band to voluntarily do meet and greats for fans who do not have a means of paying for it. For one, how would they gauge who is eligible? They can't meet 10,000 people a night or even 1,000. Would you rather they charge $250 for a VIP ticket for no meet and greet? Bands need to make money, especially in an era where CD sales sell about 1/3 of what they used to. Touring is not cheap. People forget about the overheads. You have 8 band members, not to mention Axl's entourage(management, tour manager, trainers etc), roadcrew, logistics for the heavy and expensive musical equipment and the band/crew themselves. People also forget that Ticketmaster take the majority of the profits from the tickets sold and that the opening acts get a slice of ticket sales too, it's not all for Guns N' Roses. Charging fans for a meet and greet may be selling out, but perfectly within the realms of morality and business.

Listen to this guy!

Personally,, I wouldn't consider it an affront to a musician's dignity to have a picture taken with me. But maybe I just have a higher opinion of myself than you have of yourself.

I think it's an affront to both parties dignity to charge/pay for it, not to have the picture taken.

I believe you can take the pictures for free. I sincerely doubt Bumblefoot will be collecting five dollar bills from anyone who wants a picture. If I'm correct, you pay money for access to the room. Handshakes, smiles, autographs and pictures are free.

Unless you're aware of some ala carte menu. If so, please share. If not, then please stop slandering my favorite band with your baseless charges of being sell-outs.