What are your opinions on Vigier guitars?

Never played one myself, but the websites lists the specifications of their guitars so you can get an idea of what kinds of wood they use and the electronics. I think Ron was given one to try one time at a NAMM show years and loved it so that's why he stuck with them. It's all about preference. A high-end Les Paul and a high-end Vigier will both sound amazing no doubt, so the little differences are what counts for the player and really just come down to preference and personal feel. My main guitar is a Peavey Wolfgang because it's the comfiest neck I've ever played on and it sounds killer as well, nice and heavy but clear.

Never played one. Right now, I'm trying to get a custom 8 string baritone guitar by Schecter.

Vigier is quite inovative when it comes to building instruments and are expanding their product catalog with some new guitars (fretless, 7 string).

Buttler Geezer and Mark Knopfler also used Vigiers throughout their carreers.

I think Ron said he started used them when he toured France in the nineties and that was when he was first introduced to the fretless.

I think it is cool how he uses something different. Sets him apart from Rich and DJ who play Gibsons.

. From what I've heard it sounds really cool.

Pretty much. Nothing wrong with Gibsons and Fenders, but introducing new timbres to an oversaturated market is always a good thing.

For some reason people are always resisting changes, always clinging to obvious and safe tones and resorting to the same gear famous people used before them.

In fact, Gibson made an amazing and revolutionary instrument last year, the Firebird X. People gave it a bad reception.

Idiots <_<

I've had an Excalibur Custom for...one week ( had it for 800 euros, a bargain, so I didn't lose any money )

Why did I sell it ?

Well.

The neck was perfect ( best neck I've ever played ), it was playing like a dream, the pickups were beefy...

It's a perfect guitar if you want a versatile and EXTREMELY playable guitar. If you are into shred or fusion for instance, by all means, go for it : it's an absolute dream.

However, it did not have any personality IMO. If you have ever played a very good telecaster, you know what I mean by personality : a guitar that doesn't give you all you want that easily, you try to tame it but you never can't completely and once you get used to that idea, you start discovering how subtle it is as regards tone and dynamics and, suddenly, you are addicted.

Sold it, sold my Les Paul Axcess, and got a Trussart Steelcaster instead. Trussarts are not "perfect" in terms of playability, they do not try to have the perfect neck, they do not have very wide range pickups that allow for very technical playing, however they have that rock n' roll something that makes you love them.

You should try a Vigier, with a good amp, realize how good an instrument it is, how everything if perfect about them, and then ask yourself "Do I want a perfect guitar ? or one that suits me ?"

EDIT : just to be clear, I'm not trying to be negative about Vigier guitars : I think they are perfect, and I mean PERFECT instruments. It's just that I'm more into rusty, dirty, guitars than into perfect guitars.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Haha, Know what you mean. I'm also more into rustic axes, TBH I don't even like those bindings and inlays that, in most cases, have only aesthetical purposes, no functionality at all. Of course, that's just my opinion. I like it simple, but with lotza functions.

Edited by Chewbacca

Glow you sold the Axcess? did you at least get back what you paid for it? And how did it play?

Lost 300 euros in the process...but I mainly sold it because there was a Trussart with a lot of options ( body and head engraving, Seymour Duncan pickups, holey front and back ) at 2000 euros, which was a bargain ( I could have never afforded the 4000 euros that it was worth... ).

The Axcess is a very good guitar. Extremely playable ( it's its purpose, to be a more playable Les Paul ), cool blues sounds ( Burstbucker pickups ), and the coil split was a nice addition on a Les Paul.

That being said, if I ever have the money to buy another Axcess, I'd wait a bit longer, for several months, and buy an Alex Lifeson Les Paul instead. It's an Axcess but with some very cool additions that make it the ultimate Gibson in my book, as least as far as studio is concerned...

Not too fond of the Dusk Tiger, the Dark Fire, or the Firebird because even though they have great electronics and options, I really don't like the idea of them failing on me...Nor do I like their looks.

Back on topic, I've had the chance to compare both the Axcess and the Vigier Excalibur Custom in terms of playability and I'm afraid the Vigier beats it. I still like the Axcess more because of its blues tones but if you want a guitar that can handle massive distortion without losing anything in terms of articulation and dynamics, the Vigier is the best guitar I've ever tried for that. It does more than that, of course, but I think it's a shredder's dream.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

That is awesome! I didn't catch why he has two doublenecks, and I won't look like a fool assuming why. What kind of Gibson does he have? Really cool that henhas a guitar just for IFW.

Different tunings and settings, tuning a floating tremolo is a pain on the ass. CD and Better, for example are in drop Db, while most of the songs are in Eb standard. and there's songs from UYI that are in drop D, like The Garden.

He's got a Gibson Les Paul right there.

That is awesome! I didn't catch why he has two doublenecks, and I won't look like a fool assuming why. What kind of Gibson does he have? Really cool that henhas a guitar just for IFW.

The "If The World" guitar as you call it is specifically for those flamenco-style picking parts. It's got nylon strings, typical of a classical guitar. That's why they keep it on a stand so he can just go to it for those parts as he pleases.

I guess that means Ashba does the solo.

Nope, Ron does the solo too. ;)

He wears his electric guitar (the Vigier one that looks similar to a Les Paul) as normal. The acoustic guitar is on a stand so he can walk up to it to play those flamenco parts and then step away and play the electric parts.

That should be a pretty good example.

That's awesome actually. Didn't Ron misplace a lot of his guitars?

That sounds familiar but I'm not sure offhand. I know for sure he misplaced that Flying V he used in 2007. I remember someone said it was actually Robin's and thus he would have taken it back but I'm pretty sure Ron was asked about it on Facebook or in an interview or something and he replied that he had no idea what happened to it. His old foot guitar got destroyed during the 2006/2007 tour (thank God :lol:) and he did a contest to design a new one but I'm not sure what came of it.

he did a contest to design a new one but I'm not sure what came of it.

The double neck was the result of that contest.

Ah, didn't know that. I've just never heard him refer to the contest in interviews where he talks about the double neck, just that he needed to be able to switch between fretless and fretted over the course of a song. Very happy that it replaced the foot guitar. :lol: