Rollins Band

vaida

You get Danzig,but you don't get Rollins?

I don't rate either all that much. If I had to pick, Danzig is better. I own 1 Dangiz album Danzig IV. The only reason I picked that up, was for the song Can't Speak, as I found really quite good. I think I 1dt watched the video on Headbangers Ball back in the day.

Danzig - Can't Speak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WV6o7-KX_M&ob=av2n

Depressing as hell..

When I check out Herry Rollins, he seems like a cartoon character, all beefcake, with many words to shout. It comes across comical, borderline madness. One minute I'm laughing my ass off, then next thinking, sh-t this guy is loop-de-loop :D

Musically, it all seems average. He has his followers, there's all number of good comments on YouTube.

Guest Len B'stard

Never listened to em actually, despite being a HUGE Black Flag fan...i got the impression that they were very um, Metal-like and i don't really like Metal sooo...

Rollins Band doesn't have as much of a following as he does doing the storytelling shows. I just think he's too busy with the other things to not think about music. Jello Biafra's the same way, people would rather hear him talk than play music, I guess. Some of the Black Flag "jazzier" stuff was prob. because of Rollins being into eclectic stuff like Sun Ra.

I love "Get In The Van" though, there's also an audio book of it, if you like hearing him tell stories. A very different time in punk rock, and was just a DC kid scooping ice cream,took the drive to NYC, auditioned, and his life changed from that point on, and all the people he'd meet along the way, childhood friends like Ian forming his band, or meeting The Damned and becoming friends with them, and just the overall craziness from the fans and other bands at that time. Hardcore punk and extreme sports pretty much happened at the same time. A lot of the backyard parties were full of actors like Sean Penn or Charlie Sheen with what was to be surf and skate legends, (watch Devo's "Freedom of Choice" and you'll see the major skaters from '81) and the town to town rivalries at the beaches were not so "sunny". Santa Monica Pier was falling apart.

Anyway, he's on every Sat night on KCRW.com around 11PM EST, so if you want to hear his "rekkid collection", that's where he'll be. If not, he tapes the shows when he's on the road. And Jonesy's Jukebox on Sundays. Thank God for streaming & long live Indie 103.

His best friend Joe Cole died 20 years ago, and he had a lot of friends in music and acting because of his dad. They never found out who did it.

Rollins Band doesn't have as much of a following as he does doing the storytelling shows. I just think he's too busy with the other things to not think about music. Jello Biafra's the same way, people would rather hear him talk than play music, I guess. Some of the Black Flag "jazzier" stuff was prob. because of Rollins being into eclectic stuff like Sun Ra.

I love "Get In The Van" though, there's also an audio book of it, if you like hearing him tell stories. A very different time in punk rock, and was just a DC kid scooping ice cream,took the drive to NYC, auditioned, and his life changed from that point on, and all the people he'd meet along the way, childhood friends like Ian forming his band, or meeting The Damned and becoming friends with them, and just the overall craziness from the fans and other bands at that time. Hardcore punk and extreme sports pretty much happened at the same time. A lot of the backyard parties were full of actors like Sean Penn or Charlie Sheen with what was to be surf and skate legends, (watch Devo's "Freedom of Choice" and you'll see the major skaters from '81) and the town to town rivalries at the beaches were not so "sunny". Santa Monica Pier was falling apart.

Anyway, he's on every Sat night on KCRW.com around 11PM EST, so if you want to hear his "rekkid collection", that's where he'll be. If not, he tapes the shows when he's on the road. And Jonesy's Jukebox on Sundays. Thank God for streaming & long live Indie 103.

His best friend Joe Cole died 20 years ago, and he had a lot of friends in music and acting because of his dad. They never found out who did it.

I picked up one of his books about 4 years ago, as I wanted to read what he had to say. The book was Solipsist (Henry Rollins). I read as far as about 8% into it, before giving up. It was heavy going. Dark. I got the impression he must just sit in a dakr empty room and pour out his thoughts, abrupt thoughts. Maybe one day I will get back to that book, although I don'y know why.

Guest Len B'stard

Wasn't Jonesys Jukebox cancelled? Rollins had friends in music and acting cuz of his Dad? Or Joe Cole did?

Edited by sugaraylen

Wasn't Jonesys Jukebox cancelled? Rollins had friends in music and acting cuz of his Dad? Or Joe Cole did?

Steve is on KROQ & on Twitter. Info's here. I'm sure his Neurotic bandmates tune in from time to time.

http://kroq.radio.com/shows/steve-jones-jonesys-jukebox/

Joe Cole's dad was famous, meaning recognizable from TV shows, in the 70s. Dave Navarro also did one of these shows, but at least he got closure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9C1tor9Scc

Guest Len B'stard

Never listened to em actually, despite being a HUGE Black Flag fan...i got the impression that they were very um, Metal-like and i don't really like Metal sooo...

Why would you not give him a chance if you're a big Black Flag fan? :kiss:

I dunno, to be honest i really can't answer that question. I've heard all his spoken word too so its kinda odd that i've avoided The Rollins Band. A band or...artist has to strike me and from what i've been led to believe of The Rollins Band nothing really moved me to listen to them. I'm really not sure actually cuz i'm an obsessive Black Flag fan. Maybe thats why...maybe because i'm afraid it might taint the purity of Black Flag :rofl-lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I dunno, to be honest i really can't answer that question. I've heard all his spoken word too so its kinda odd that i've avoided The Rollins Band. A band or...artist has to strike me and from what i've been led to believe of The Rollins Band nothing really moved me to listen to them. I'm really not sure actually cuz i'm an obsessive Black Flag fan. Maybe thats why...maybe because i'm afraid it might taint the purity of Black Flag :rofl-lol:

I can understand that. But if you have given Chinese Democracy a shot, why not give the Rollins Band a listen? :heart:

Cuz Guns n Roses weren't all that to begin with :lol: j/k! I might give em a shot though, any reccomendations? I do that with a lot of bands sometimes, i dunno why, i think it has more to do with the metal aspect, i've never really liked metal. Like, for instance, one of my favorite ever albums of all time is Static Age by The Misfits but as far as my limited understanding takes me they kind of went metal after that so i've never listened to anything of theirs past Static Age which is like, one of the greatest albums i've ever heard. But yeah, i'll give em a shot, any reccomendations? :)

I can understand that. But if you have given Chinese Democracy a shot, why not give the Rollins Band a listen? :heart:

Cuz Guns n Roses weren't all that to begin with :lol: j/k! I might give em a shot though, any reccomendations? I do that with a lot of bands sometimes, i dunno why, i think it has more to do with the metal aspect, i've never really liked metal. Like, for instance, one of my favorite ever albums of all time is Static Age by The Misfits but as far as my limited understanding takes me they kind of went metal after that so i've never listened to anything of theirs past Static Age which is like, one of the greatest albums i've ever heard. But yeah, i'll give em a shot, any reccomendations? :)

Go to youtube and give their Woodstock 94 gig a try..

Steve is on KROQ & on Twitter. Info's here. I'm sure his Neurotic bandmates tune in from time to time.

http://kroq.radio.com/shows/steve-jones-jonesys-jukebox/

Joe Cole's dad was famous, meaning recognizable from TV shows, in the 70s. Dave Navarro also did one of these shows, but at least he got closure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9C1tor9Scc

what an experience. Bad, not good.