How do the side projects affect GnR?

maynard

I've been reading a lot about Guns lately and I've seen interviews from DJ and Tommy whrere they say how their other projects are always alive.

For example, I've read an interview with Tommy from August of 2011 where he spoke about all his projects, about how he and Axl almost never see each other when not touring. Also read DJ talking about his plans with his other bands.

I know Dizzy always tours with his band and Ron is always busy. Richard and Frank are frequently guests on live shows and projects here and there.

Some people hope that this little break from touring could lead to a new record. But, from what I see, as soon as the guys are not on the road, they get back to their solo stuff.

I'm hungry for new music as many people here are. I know that the tour is fun for the concert goers and it's good to have the band active. Though, I agree with the posters who say this is a 10 years tour already. They may change names, add one song here and there. But still, it's the same core, follows the same pattern since House of Blues and RIR 3. I sure would trade another tour for some new songs in a heartbeat. Since recording and touring seems so unlikely. (U2 and NIN did that and released great material: Zooropa and Year Zero).

Anyway. what do you guys think is the level of commitment from the current members of GnR? Do they go solo because they simply have nothing to do concerning GnR besides touring? Are they waiting for Axl to give the first step? That's not what a BAND do.

Maybe they're not allowed to speak about studio work after the tour. But each new interview I read, I get the feeling things are looking worse than with CD. The album doesn't have a name. We don't know what happened to the old material. If they need to be re-worked how would Ashba do that while working with Sixx AM or whatever?

So, considering the guys will be busy with their own stuff after the tour, how does that affect the new album? Will we have yet another tour? And after that? Another city "take over"?

When I call guys like DJ, Tommy and Ron - yes men - many disagree and that's ok. But these guys put no pressure on Axl. They are happy with the situation because they can get money with GnR and be productive by themselves and that doesn't help Axl to finally move on from Chinese Democracy.

PS: This topic concerns about the possible new record. If you want to tell me I should be grateful to have another tour, ok. If you are happy with the situation right now, ok. But, there are some people who don't care about another tour and believe it's time to move on. As always, giving opinions. If you consider that being a "hater" you don't need to post here.

Edited by maynard

Answering the title question without having read the OP's post:

The side projects are, im my humble opinion, vital for the band because it keeps the band members happy and busy in times of low activity, and the normality of being in control of their own side projects presumably helps them to tolerate the dysfunction and chaos that comes from being in GN'R. It's a yin and yang thing.

Edited by SoulMonster

I agree with the posters who say this is a 10 years tour already. They may change names, add one song here and there. But still, it's the same core, follows the same pattern since House of Blues and RIR 3.

Even if GNR released ten more albums, the core songs from Appetite and Illusions are going to be played every show. That doesn't mean it's a ten year long tour. Most major legacy acts have a 8-12 songs they're going to play every tour no matter what.

You say they "add one song here and there," but let's really look at how many songs have been added since House of Blues and RIR 3. Here's some just off the top of my head:

NICE BOYS

MAMA KIN

USED TO LOVE HER

YOU'RE CRAZY

DON'T CRY

ESTRANGED

CIVIL WAR

DOWN ON THE FARM

SHACKLER'S REVENGE

BETTER

IF THE WORLD

THERE WAS A TIME

CATCHER IN THE RYE

SCRAPED

SORRY

I.R.S.

THIS I LOVE

PROSTITUTE

WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE

RIFF RAFF

DEAD FLOWERS

MOTIVATION

MY GENERATION

SONIC REDUCER

You're so right. Even the recent US tour saw Civil War added the. UCAP had civil war you're crazy and use to love her. Not bad if u ask me