Catcher in the Rye

wasted

I guess it gets overlooked cos it hardly ever gets played live. But for it's one of the most epic songs on CD. But it's also really easy to listen to, the transition through all the parts is so smooth. Then you get all that wild Great balls of fire piano at the end. Between this and Estranged I'm not sure which is more epic.

I think it could be the most melodic and beautiful song in the entire Guns canon, except for maybe One in a million.

They both have similar liberal baiting subject matter too. maybe the most misunderstood GNR songs maybe, and true both great musically. Even without the lyrics OIAM would be a badass song. Catcher is beautiful and trippy and a catchy tune. I could see it floating across the airwaves on the radio in the summer. but alas radio sucks. I think Ron's solo sort compliments the song, in terms of it going further out there and more delirious. I don't really remember the solo if I'm honest, it's that piano.

both sound great but for some reason too much is going on. they need to strip out some of the layers and it would be perfect.

The final minute is the worst bit for me, way too much going on. What I love about CD is that I always hear something new, but the end of Catcher is way too muddled and there's too much going on.

One of the most beautiful tunes ever written. Yes, Ron's work on this song seems rather random at parts, but that doesn't take much away from this epic song. When they played the song live, Ron already had improved the solo a bit. I think, if he had the chance to redo his solo parts today, he would love to do so. The face that he improved the solo live clearly shows that he's not satisfied with his work on the recorded version.

Someone who totally nailed the song is the best GN'R drummer ever: Brain!!! Just listen to the final part, listen to Brain go all nuts on the drums!!! Sheer brilliance ...

Edited by A.J.