Catcher in the Rye

wasted

I guess it gets overlooked cos it hardly ever gets played live. But for it's one of the most epic songs on CD. But it's also really easy to listen to, the transition through all the parts is so smooth. Then you get all that wild Great balls of fire piano at the end. Between this and Estranged I'm not sure which is more epic.

I love Catcher In The Rye, it is probably my favorite song off of CD.

I still flip flop between liking the final version or the demo more, it all depends what mood I'm in. Right now I am really digging Brian May's solo, and even though according to Brain and Axl it is heavily edited, the fact that Brian May's signature guitar tone is on it is enough for it to sound amazing

Edited by WhazUp

I listen to it every single day on my way to work (you can check my last.fm if you don't believe me, it syncs it when I sync my iPhone I believe last.fm/hurrikane1200) I can't start my day without it. It just puts me in a good mood, and is one of my favorite songs.

It's an amazing song but funny enough I prefer the leak. When axl sings "you decide " there's him also singing the aaaahhhhhhh aaaaahhhhh in the background its so epic. Shame it got abit silenced in the finl version

love it, but may's solo was perfect, ron did a terrible job. leak > cd version.

I can't even get myself to listen to the CD version anymore since the Brian May version just hits the nail on the head for CITR. Ron's solo is definitely not to my liking.

Right now I am really digging Brian May's solo, and even though according to Brain and Axl it is heavily edited, the fact that Brian May's signature guitar tone is on it is enough for it to sound amazing

Didn't Ron say that Axl and Caram Costanzo did the same thing with his guitar parts as well - pieced his solos together from multiple takes?

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

what is so great about brian may's solo exactly? are you guys just saying that because it was brian may? i never thought it was anything special to be totally honest

For me it is the tone. Brian just has such a distinctive sound and it really fits the mood of the song. I can't tell you why other than it sounds awesome to me (obviously) but I find that I prefer it to the studio version

Like I said, it is well known that the solo is heavily edited and copy/pasted but just the fact that the mere tone is present in that section makes it for me

Edited by WhazUp

what is so great about brian may's solo exactly? are you guys just saying that because it was brian may? i never thought it was anything special to be totally honest

Brian May's solo is more of a natural fit for the song whereas Ron's solo adds a slight bit of shredding that sounds totally out of place.

hmm, I just find this really strange. I love Brian May's guitar playing, LOVE IT, and I couldn't care much less for Bumblefoot, but I prefer his CITR solo :shrugs:

I wouldn't call it shreddy at all, I really dig the bends and the bluesy feel a lot, I think it fits right in with the fun light hearted feel of the song. I can't be the only one who thinks so if it made the final cut

I personally love Ron's solo more. It's one of my favorite solos on the whole album. Brian May's take on it is still great though. I just happen to live the studio version more.

I guess it gets overlooked cos it hardly ever gets played live. But for it's one of the most epic songs on CD. But it's also really easy to listen to, the transition through all the parts is so smooth. Then you get all that wild Great balls of fire piano at the end. Between this and Estranged I'm not sure which is more epic.

I think it could be the most melodic and beautiful song in the entire Guns canon, except for maybe One in a million.

I've just learned on guitar yesterday. Love Bumble's stuff. This song is so fresh, i feel the band worked very hard for this tune (like the interpretation of a institutionalized mind on the bridge). The outro is so emotional, a brillant tribute to Lennon.

Knowing that Catcher was not planned for CD, I think the next album will reserve us huge surprises. (Atlas Shrugged (I'm sure that this song will be very similar with Catcher))

Edited by tranconneuse

I just listened to both versions back to back with headphones. The demo definitely has some cool parts. I like how the funky-ish sound (similar to the sound in If The Workd) before the first "nah nah nah"s is turned up. You can still hear it in the studio version too, just not as loud. While the short outro solo on the demo is great, I agree that Ron's outro solo is just incredible. The main solo too. It's fantastic. I'm really excited to hear some new music.

I think it could be the most melodic and beautiful song in the entire Guns canon, except for maybe One in a million.

They both have similar liberal baiting subject matter too. maybe the most misunderstood GNR songs maybe, and true both great musically. Even without the lyrics OIAM would be a badass song. Catcher is beautiful and trippy and a catchy tune. I could see it floating across the airwaves on the radio in the summer. but alas radio sucks. I think Ron's solo sort compliments the song, in terms of it going further out there and more delirious. I don't really remember the solo if I'm honest, it's that piano.