Guitar question

Okay, so I've had this guitar since I was about 13 or 14: https://www.google.com/search?q=aria+pro+ii+rs+stray+cat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

First of all, any guitar aficionados out there - do you think this is a decent guitar? I couldn't find much info on it and I'm not advanced enough to be able to look at something and be able to tell if it's any good.

The reason I ask is, I've just started playing again for the first time in years (and I was never that great anyway - piano was my talent) but I noticed that when I try to hit strings on higher frets - like maybe around the 15th fret upwards - they don't seem to really make any sound, it's like they're immediately stifled. Especially if I try to bend a note, it just doesn't sound good at all.

Do you think I need new strings, or maybe a specific setting on my amp needs to be changed? I'm just curious because I'm trying to learn some guitar solos and as soon as I get to those higher frets it's like I just get a tinny sort of noise and no matter how hard or lightly I press on the strings it doesn't seem to help.

Total newb question probably but figured I'd ask. I'm also curious to see if anyone recognizes or knows anything about my guitar since it is apparently from the '80s and not exactly a popular model - the only stuff I could find about it is that it's a bit rare.

If you haven't played in a while, there's a good chance the action needs to be adjusted as it's likely too close to the fretboard at the particular frets where you're getting the buzzing/dead notes. New strings and a set-up at your local guitar shop would be ideal to get you going.

If you haven't played in a while, there's a good chance the action needs to be adjusted as it's likely too close to the fretboard at the particular frets where you're getting the buzzing/dead notes. New strings and a set-up at your local guitar shop would be ideal to get you going.

ah okay. thanks guys.

and yeah, it's been left strung for quite a while. i'll probably either take it in and get that done or save up a bit for a new guitar.

Aria Pro 2 Viper Series was my first guitar and, well, no, they do not have the reputation of being good guitars....and I know mine sucked balls haha.

That being said, when you are a beginner ( I don't know if you are one or you just haven't played in a while ) you don't have to care too much about tone as long as the guitar is dynamic enough to properly respond to your playing ( because otherwise it's very frustrating ).

As regards your problem, as said before, the neck needs to be adjusted...and you should use that opportunity to get some decent strings too :thumbsup:

thanks!

one thing i've noticed in doing some research last night is that aria's "pro" line (which is what i have) seems to have a slightly better reputation...in fact the company was sued by fender for stealing some of their design or something... i found an old thread from 2002 on a guitar forum about it.

but yeah i'll definitely be probably putting some new strings on it and all that.

Check your truss rod, too. Bring the strings up to pitch and press on the low E just after the last fret and on the first fret. Is there any space there?

As far as a set up at a guitar shop, I am vehemently opposed to paying people to set up my guitars for me, but if they charge more than like 25 bucks you're getting royally fucked. You could always find a guitar player that knows how to intonate and give them a half rack of beer to set it up for you.

Good old Aria. I don't think fender sued them I think they were part of the Gibson lawsuit. Aria Pro used to have a GORGEOUS carved wood top SG copy that they made that looks amazing.