Why was CD released without a Parental Advisory sticker?

Cruel Intentions

I'm sure this has been touched on before, but I've always been curious why Chinese Democracy was released without a Parental Advisory sticker on it. I mean, don't record companies have to submit final CDs to the appropriate people before it's released so that they can hear if it has explicit language in it and stuff? I'm kinda surprised the FCC and whatever didn't make a bigger deal out of this since they seem to bitch about everything. Was this just a screw up on the record company's part or something?

The FCC controls language (and images in the case of television) during certain hours on broadcast television and terrestrial radio.

They have nothing to do with the sale of recorded music.

Furthermore, the "Parental Advisory" warning is a voluntary program created by the music industry.

With that said, why is it that you feel Chinese Democracy is deserving of that designation?

Why do I feel it's deserving of a PA sticker? Well, CD has songs with words like "shit" and "fuck" in it, so I just always thought if there are songs with any F-bombs in it record companies have to put a warning about explicit language or whatever.

And let me make something clear...I'm not one of those tightly wound people who's pro-censorship or anything like that. I curse more on a daily basis than just about anyone I know. I was just curious what exactly the protocol was since I have a ton of albums that have even less curses on them than CD does and they got stuck with the PA sticker on them.

Do you happen to know how many total there are of each of those words? You can usually get away with one or two of each.

I don't know the exact number...I'd have to look through the lyrics. But just out of the top of my head I know "fuck" was said in Maddy and Riad, "goddamn" in Sorry, "shit" in a few other songs.

A Parental Advisory sticker is the equivalent of an R-rating for language. CD was "PG-13" in terms of the cursing. There was only one fuck on the entire album, not enough to warrant a PA sticker

That would make sense, then. I didn't realize it was like that where you're allowed a certain number of "fuck's" the way you are in movies before they up the rating.

Edited by Cruel Intentions

I'm sure this has been touched on before, but I've always been curious why Chinese Democracy was released without a Parental Advisory sticker on it. I mean, don't record companies have to submit final CDs to the appropriate people before it's released so that they can hear if it has explicit language in it and stuff? I'm kinda surprised the FCC and whatever didn't make a bigger deal out of this since they seem to bitch about everything. Was this just a screw up on the record company's part or something?

for the first time in guns n roses cd history there's little 2 no swears from axl on the chinese democracy record LOL

parents need no be advised from finck brilliance TIL solo. bring on nu-chinese robin!

the truth is robin's TIL solo rivals anything slash has done on a guns n roses cd. before dj ashba and bumblefoot.....robin written and recorded a whole bunch of songs. a whole bunch of songs we've yet to hear. in my opinion, they take priority on the next chinese democracy record

Where is there a "shit" on CD? I can't think of any... :unsure:

axl sings "shit" in irs lol

Uhh...no.

"...I bet you think I'm doing this all for my health

I should've looked again babe at somebody else

Feelin' like I'm done way more than wrong

Feelin' like I'm livin' inside of this song

Feelin' like I'm just too tired to care

Feelin' like I done more than my share

Could it be the way that I carried on

Like a broken record for so long..."

Chinese Democracy sported a PA sticker in Australia. I thought it was very strange that it was even there. Couple of sexual references and I think there are two "Fucks" in there (Riad and Madagascar), but I didn't think it required the Parental Advisory sticker.

Kind of irrelevant, but I kinda think Finck's TIL solo is the most overrated one on the record. It's nothing special, in my opinion.

His Better solo is way... better.

it's relevant because the chinese democracy guy "MSL" brought it up on this topic. but robin's TIL solo isn't overrated. it's like saying slash november rain solo's overrated. isn't either. robin's TIL solo is EPIC and is the upgrade to the NR solo by slash

Kind of irrelevant, but I kinda think Finck's TIL solo is the most overrated one on the record. It's nothing special, in my opinion.

it's relevant because the chinese democracy guy "MSL" brought it up on this topic. but robin's TIL solo isn't overrated. it's like saying slash november rain solo's overrated. isn't either. robin's TIL solo is EPIC and is the upgrade to the NR solo by slash

lolno

Finck, why do you insists on pushing your opinion onto others and stating it as if its a fact? Some like Robins solos, others do not. Some like Slashs solos, others do not. Its a matter of opinion

Finck, why do you insists on pushing your opinion onto others and stating it as if its a fact? Some like Robins solos, others do not. Some like Slashs solos, others do not. Its a matter of opinion

when someone says "robin's TIL solo's overrated." i defend robin finck. if it was "overrated" axl would've replaced robin with bumblefoot on the solo. axl didn't do that. axl was confident keeping robin on the solo

when finck says "robin's TIL solo" axl says slash finck. if it was "overrated" finck TIL would not bumblefoot slash. axl was confident robin would not push or pull.

very funny lol you sound like a stand up comedian lol but axl picked robin for TIL. robin stepped up to the plate. the sound is cutting edge. robin creates something new. a new rock sound. never done before on a rock record. robin hits a home run on TIL

when someone says "robin's TIL solo's overrated." i defend robin finck. if it was "overrated" axl would've replaced robin with bumblefoot on the solo. axl didn't do that. axl was confident keeping robin on the solo

Do you know what overrated means? :lol:

I think it's overrated for me because I don't think it's as special as other people on this forum do. Even if Axl thought it was the best solo ever, I'd call it overrated because I don't like it that much. The whole bit about Axl replacing Finck with Bumble on the solo makes no sense with this conversation . . . at all. How can Axl sit there after hearing Finck's solo and go, "Oooh, that's overrated?"

Do you know what overrated means? :lol:

I think it's overrated for me because I don't think it's as special as other people on this forum do. Even if Axl thought it was the best solo ever, I'd call it overrated because I don't like it that much. The whole bit about Axl replacing Finck with Bumble on the solo makes no sense with this conversation . . . at all. How can Axl sit there after hearing Finck's solo and go, "Oooh, that's overrated?"

many think bumble did over buckethead's guitar parts on several songs on the record. with a fretless guitar. like many think dj and bumble have or will erase robin's and buckethead's previous unreleased parts for a new chinese release. you can't do that. it's like a worker who does all the work only to be outsourced by someone from india. making all his hard work with the company for nothing. that's how it would feel if axl had chose for ron to mess with robin's stuff on the first chinese record. bumble shouldn't have messed with buckethead on the record. it's a mistake if axl does this for the next record with dj and bumble. that said, robin's til solo is special. it's original. how can you say otherwise? it doesn't make sense to put down robin's work. when robin's work is the record. axl doesn't think robin's overrated. like i said if he did....it would be bumble doing the solo and not robin. robin is the real deal. axl chose robin after slash left guns n roses

Edited by finck6