Was having a guitarist as iconic as Slash a double-edged sword for GnR?

Madridista

Slash was going to a be star no matter what. I don't think most people know but he was invited to play with KISS when he was a teenager. He was bound to be successful. Just consider the fact that the band was signed before he even made SCOM. I hear Myles and Slash are working on their next album during the summer tour :fingers-crossed:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Slash as the biggest guitar hero of my generation. He was just next in line with a spin on Page/Perry. GNR were a brutal band for brutal times and Slash fit the bill.

he was a great lead player and has a cool image, but hard to compare him to page/perry when really it was izzy writing the tunes.

Then report the account.

i'm sure the mods will do something about it eventually. they probably have more important things to worry about right now. although since i have finck6 blocked, they may have already done something about her for all i know.

Then why don't you block the ex-bitter fans so you won't have to view their posts?

Slash became iconic because of his look

Agree 100%

He was a good guitar player but he basically did what was already done. He can never be a Clapton, Jeff Beck or an SRV who can play brilliantly by themselves. Slash needs to play off other guitarists.

That shit always makes me cringe. Why the fuck do some people think that Slash had his own original sound, image and everything else? For fuck's sake, even his image was stolen from famous acts that were around decades before him, and I'm not even gonna mention his Page/Perry wannabe playing. He brought that sound "back" to mainstream when people like him were trying to be the next Eddie Van Halen, sure, but nothing was new at all. Sorry, the thread already got derailed, but I had to comment on this.

Regarding the thread, may be... but people tend to get attached to the past anyway no matter who's or who was in the band. You had a clear example of how that happens in the GNR world when most of its fanbase bashed Finck and Bucket to death when they were around, now they're godlikes. You forgot to mention that Bruce left Maiden as well though.

For fuck's sake, even his image was stolen from famous acts

Show an artist who doesn't use or influenced by other artists image, music, sound etc...

You're a joke

Oh, so you think those guys weren't original at all, not even Hendrix? I have no further comment on this subject, nothing else to add to this after what your said, sorry. And I never said Slash claimed to be original, I said the gunners that try to put him on the same page as EVH or Hendrix.

You clearly doesn't know anything about guitar music

I don't really follow why people would downplay Slash as a guitarist/songwriter. His tunes are as popular as Smoke on the Water and Stairway to Heaven. The dismissive characterization of his success seems like jealous sour grapes to me.

Oh, so you think those guys weren't original at all, not even Hendrix? I have no further comment on this subject, nothing else to add to this after what your said, sorry.

They added their own style to the music and wrote original songs but it is all based on the old blues players whose music they studied and learned from...Hendrix may have been the most original of the bunch but he even admitted in interviews his music was based on the old blues players so no they did not create something totally unique..And as much as I love Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page he is one of the bigger thiefs of the bunch...many of his songs were nicked from other musicians especially the first Zep album with no credit gven unitl they sued him...

I love SRV but his music is just his interpretation of the blues...same with Clapton who in fact did a whole tour playing nothing but old Blues standards................I don't see why Slash is so different from the other guitar heroes? He made original music based on his influences like Aerosmith which made music based on their influences................just another reason to try to discredit Slash by his haters I think.............

and finally here is a poster who really know what guitar music based on :thumbsup:

Perfect post.

If Slash had retained the GnR name, we'd be getting the usual typical hipster blues cock rock under the GnR banner.

Umm you know that "hipster" (wtf are you talkin about? blues never be a hipster genre) blues cock rock made GNR sooo fucking great than other bands back in the day?

That's why millions of people (yes even people who doesn't like much rock) loved GNR songs still to this day

DJ Ashba™ is technically more gifted than Slash?

Indeed.

Mi Amor / BOD > godfather solo (Slash can't even play it right anymore lol And how many years has he been playing it?)

totally agree that slash needs an iconic singer. and some real songwriters.

Yep he has a lot of potential if surrounded by great song writers.

Lolcano, you are literally fucked in the head and retarded. That's all I'm going to bother to write. This has to be a cupcake. Ashba makes more mistakes live in one show that Slash has ever made in his entire career, doped out of his mind.

DJ Ashba™ better than Slash..... LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you have fking problems mate.

Maybe you should stop acting like a little infant and respect other peoples opinions.

Great advide especially for you :rolleyes:

I don't really follow why people would downplay Slash as a guitarist/songwriter. His tunes are as popular as Smoke on the Water and Stairway to Heaven. The dismissive characterization of his success seems like jealous sour grapes to me.

Exactly!

I just never understood why Slash had to consistently lie to fans..jk lol. He lies to sell records tickets to shows and make money..can't blame him can ya??

Just like Axl lies to you and tries to sell you the cover band you have in your signature as Guns N' Roses? :rofl-lol:

Edited by pi2loc

Has anyone noticed that MisterSaintLaurent doesn't really discuss New GN'R in the New GN'R threads he is talking about? I see superfans like Broskirose an others discussing New GN'R shows, Ashba and Bumbefoot's solo projects, you know, the stuff new gnr fans talk about? I don't recall seeing him there discussing things in peace.

Slash made some killer stuff with GNR, never found anything after too interesting but find CD fantastic with the quality of guitar work a real pleasure, it don't matter if Slash ain't there for me, separate eras.

same way i feel about it

I think Slash and Axl were like lightning in a bottle as it has been described. I don't really see how it was a double edged sword. Axl's success was Axl's. Slash's success was Slash's. Just because Slash became iconic isn't really a bad thing for anyone and help sell records at the end of the day. I remember Steven Tyler answering a question on 60 minutes how Tom and Brad feeling like the back up band and his response was that they should be happy they get drive the nice car they drive and live the life they get to live. No reason to feel bad about success. Slash is keeping the GN'R dream alive for a lot of fans. I've got tickets seeing him in a month.

I think Slash and Axl were like lightning in a bottle as it has been described. I don't really see how it was a double edged sword. Axl's success was Axl's. Slash's success was Slash's. Just because Slash became iconic isn't really a bad thing for anyone and help sell records at the end of the day. I remember Steven Tyler answering a question on 60 minutes how Tom and Brad feeling like the back up band and his response was that they should be happy they get drive the nice car they drive and live the life they get to live. No reason to feel bad about success. Slash is keeping the GN'R dream alive for a lot of fans. I've got tickets seeing him in a month.

If your GN'R dream depends on Slash, it will never move out of dream status.

I'm not gonna jump in to this nice little Axl vs.Slash war you have going on here, but 20 years should be long enough for any rational human being to understand that some things weren't meant to be.

I do enjoy the current band...... LIVE, o great ruler o de GnR board, and I will post wen n what I want!

Axl isn't confident in himself. Thats not my problem it's his.

Trainwrecks are fun and I do enjoy the guitarists, minus assba. He is terrible.

And you should step your game up, msl, or Axl will doc your pay , big homie. This board Is hilarious to read an I will continue to do so, when I'm so board and I'm tired of burning ants w a mag glass.

You just continue to think your so smart, an I will continue to laugh at your SMART DEScision, to police these boards.

Shouldn't you be practicing your music?

I see why you like nuGNR so much....... Your music is almost as horrendous as theirs, ......... PUNk. And I'll kill you in any athletic event, you pompous, enlarged, fucking winey child.

Thanks! :)