Marc, is this the story of two assholes?

Are Axl and Slash equally to blame for everything, or would you put the majority of the blame on one or the other?

If this question is something you don't feel comfortable answering, please delete this thread. I'm only asking because I'm interested.

I really do appreciate you being here, so please don't answer if it is an uncomfortable question. I would much rather have you around to answer questions that don't put you in any position.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

There is really no one to blame, they just didn't see eye to eye anymore. If they had stayed together, then one of them would have sold out by doing things that they didn't believe in

Artistic differences, right? Slash and some other members wanted to embrace their roots with more AFD-type music while Axl wanted to bury AFD and take the band's sound to yet another level, as described by Matt. Is that fairly accurate?

10 years together, counting working together prior to GNR? That's a pretty good run for two people who always had tension between them. I just think from 93-96, there was a lot of personal stuff going on , as well as a lot of things in music had changed. Axl sounds like he wanted to keep GNR relevant with what was going on at the time (but that outcome's usually backfired - KISS "Carnival of Souls", which got shelved for the reunion until it was bootlegged), Van Halen III) , Slash wanted to try to get the band back to the feel of what made them a great band.

The feud seemed to get worse after Slash was out though. For someone who supposedly doesn't say much, he said enough to piss Axl off more than anyone in the band.

The feud seemed to get worse after Slash was out though. For someone who supposedly doesn't say much, he said enough to piss Axl off more than anyone in the band.

Yeah but based on Marc's own experience it sounds like anything you say in the press related to Axl will end up pissing him off but anything Slash says is automatically magnified in Axl's mind.....IMHO it is Axl's problem not the people who talk about him....

Then you haven't read too many of Slash's interviews upon exiting GNR, because some of that stuff was pretty bad.

I uploaded many of them to a shareserver so yes I have read them.....

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/2Rv8fW5a/sharing.html?rnd=94

That was a long time ago mate and Slash admitted he was rough on Axl and venting his frustration when he first left Guns.he has been much more concilliatory towards Axl recently in interviews...

Don't you find it odd that Izzy and Duff said many of the same things as Slash did in interviews back then back then yet Axl has reconciled with them but still hates and seems to still obsess with Slash?

Edited by classicrawker

Then you haven't read too many of Slash's interviews upon exiting GNR, because some of that stuff was pretty bad.

That was a long time ago mate and Slash admitted he was rough on Axl and venting his frustration when he first left Guns.he has been much more concilliatory towards Axl recently in interviews...

Don't you find it odd that Izzy and Duff said many of the same things as Slash did in interviews back then back then yet Axl has reconciled with them but still hates and seems to still obsess with Slash?

Axl's issue with Slash seems to be that he feels Slash lies about the breakup of the band in order to promote himself and make himself look better.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

Duff and Izzy did not go on after leaving the band and become mega stars like Slash has. Slash seems to be every where and Axl cannot get away from him.

Mega star? Are Slash's fans really this delusional? They guy's last album dropped a mere 38,000 copies the first week. Compare that to people like Jack White, John Mayer, Maroon 5, Lincoln Park and the like that sold close to 200,000. He's playing tiny clubs to 1000 people while Axl plays to crowds 15times that and doesn't have to pay for his own album or tour.

Mega star? Are Slash's fans really this delusional? They guy's last album dropped a mere 38,000 copies the first week. Compare that to people like Jack White, John Mayer, Maroon 5, Lincoln Park and the like that sold close to 200,000. He's playing tiny clubs to 1000 people while Axl plays to crowds 15times that and doesn't have to pay for his own album or tour.

Slash is a household name among teenagers and 20-somethings. Axl is not.

My little cousins know who Slash is but have no idea who Axl is - that's because Slash has stayed relevant, and Axl has not.

Have Axl change the band's name to "The Axl Rose Tour" and watch how many fans he gets at shows. Probably about the same as Slash.

My little cousins know who Slash is but have no idea who Axl is - that's because Slash has stayed relevant, and Axl has not.

Have Axl change the band's name to "The Axl Rose Tour" and watch how many fans he gets at shows. Probably about the same as Slash.

No he's not. I am a 20- something and I don't have one single friend who knows who the hell he is. Most people in their 20s listen to rap and pop. I've had to explain GNR and Slash to them every time he is mentioned. He is in no way relevant or even B list. If he was, his album and ticket sales would be higher. You can't argue with that.

No he's not. I am a 20- something and I don't have one single friend who knows who the hell he is. Most people in their 20s listen to rap and pop. I've had to explain GNR and Slash to them every time he is mentioned. He is in no way relevant or even B list. If he was, his album and ticket sales would be higher. You can't argue with that.

This is not the forum to "argue" anything! My suggestion is that you move to the attitude forum and start yet another thread to stomp out the evil Slash!

Wikipedia article traffic statistics so far this month:

Slash - 207,500 views

Guns N' Roses - 154,540 views

Axl Rose - 107.483 views

----------

Explain that.

Wikipedia article traffic statistics so far this month:

Slash - 207,500 views

Guns N' Roses - 154,540 views

Axl Rose - 107.483 views

----------

Explain that.

That's partly because he played he on the one post 96 GNR album that was actually relevant, had an impact, connected with an audience, sold more than CD (from what we know), earned a grammy, and had two top rock charters that are still regularly played on the radio eight years later. All the above; Axl never accomplished in terms of new material. All the Axl buttpluggers have a hard time grasping the reality of that. :jerkoff:

:question: I'm eighteen, and I have never met someone who doesn't know who Slash is. I even remember discussing Slash with people when I was twelve-years-old.

I wouldn't say Slash's post-GN'R output is what keeps his name out there, but he is indeed a household name.

Freddie Mercury's Ghost: To be fair, Slash probably got a lot more hits than usual this month because of his star on the Walk of Fame.

It's true more people know who Slash is. He has been in a bunch of cartoons and has always played on other peoples records and jams on stage with everyone and does tons of press. Also he has that look with the top hat that is famous. However When you think of GNR Axl will come to mind first. He is the front man

Edited by recklessroad

Marc, do you think Slash would have left if Axl had found a way to be professional? I always figured he left mainly because Axl cost the band so much money in overtime fees due to his ridiculous late night start times. And because Axl wouldn't show up in the studio when everyone else was there. Maybe musically they didn't always see eye to eye, but Axl's antics are rather ridiculous, even when you compare him with every other rock star who obtained that level of fame.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Marc, do you think Slash would have left if Axl had found a way to be professional? I always figured he left mainly because Axl cost the band so much money in overtime fees due to his ridiculous late night start times. And because Axl wouldn't show up in the studio when everyone else was there. Maybe musically they didn't always see eye to eye, but Axl's antics are rather ridiculous, even when you compare him with every other rock star who obtained that level of fame.

As I have said before their differences were a lot of different things, not just the music.

Edited by recklessroad

It's true more people know who Slash is. He has been in a bunch of cartoons and has always played on other peoples records and jams on stage with everyone and does tons of press. Also he has that look with the top hat that is famous. However When you think of GNR Axl will come to mind first. He is the front man

Actually,I think of both Axl and Slash

Actually,I think of both Axl and Slash

As a fan of the band you will think of both but I'm talking about someone that knows very little about the band. Also You would be surprised by what people think who is still in the band. My wife went with some people to the GNR show in a small venue a few months ago and after the show this girl said to my wife "Slash was so great tonight" There are many people out there that go to the show because they like the songs that they hear on the radio and they don't even know who is in the band. As far as she was concerned DJ with the hat on was Slash.

Edited by recklessroad