why i'd be interested in hearing axl write new songs, not finish old ones

HisRoyalSweetness

a lot of people talk about their desire to hear the current band write new songs as opposed to tweaking the old new band's chinese democracy outtakes. i can see why... this band is a really different one than axl had in 2000. different styles, talents, influences and creative voices.

but i'd be interested in hearing them write some new songs for the lyrical content. just like the band was different 10 years ago, so was axl. the lyrical themes of chinese democracy were about disillusionment, loss, resentment, bitterness, etc... as he said it himself, a broken heart provides the spark for my determination. it was an album about him trying to get over past relationships, people trying to pressure him and control him, people expecting and demanding things of him.

but maybe -- hopefully -- he's in a different place now. he's generally seems to be a happier dude, at least in the few glimpses we're given. the new new band's held together for a pretty remarkably long time, at least in axl years. they haven't bailed on any tours, or caused any riots. axl's no longer having to be managed by someone people like merck or azzoff, who were constantly trying to get him to reunite for financial reasons (which, to be honest, would be the logical and responsible thing for a business manager to try and do), but now that he's managed by family, he's not going to face those specific, taxing pressures and demands.

so maybe if axl wrote new lyrics inspired by who he is today, they'd have more of an ass kicking vibe than chinese democracy's lyrics, which were kinda more about having your ass kicked.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

a lot of people talk about their desire to hear the current band write new songs as opposed to tweaking the old new band's chinese democracy outtakes. i can see why... this band is a really different one than axl had in 2000. different styles, talents, influences and creative voices.

but i'd be interested in hearing them write some new songs for the lyrical content. just like the band was different 10 years ago, so was axl. the lyrical themes of chinese democracy were about disillusionment, loss, resentment, bitterness, etc... as he said it himself, a broken heart provides the spark for my determination. it was an album about him trying to get over past relationships, people trying to pressure him and control him, people expecting and demanding things of him.

but maybe -- hopefully -- he's in a different place now. he's generally seems to be a happier dude, at least in the few glimpses we're given. the new new band's held together for a pretty remarkably long time, at least in axl years. they haven't bailed on any tours, or caused any riots. axl's no longer having to be managed by someone people like merck or azzoff, who were constantly trying to get him to reunite for financial reasons (which, to be honest, would be the logical and responsible thing for a business manager to try and do), but now that he's managed by family, he's not going to face those specific, taxing pressures and demands.

so maybe if axl wrote new lyrics inspired by who he is today, they'd have more of an ass kicking vibe than chinese democracy's lyrics, which were kinda more about having your ass kicked.

Who are you and what have you done with HRS?

trying to start some good conversations!

just because i thought chinese democracy was a huge disappointment doesn't mean i think it's an impossibility for axl to write some good songs in the future. every other band i like has made albums i wasn't into. they just didn't dwell on it quite as long.

just because i thought chinese democracy was a huge disappointment doesn't mean i think it's an impossibility for axl to write some good songs in the future. every other band i like has made albums i wasn't into. they just didn't dwell on it quite as long.

Not buying it. How are "Axl's third stringers" ever going to produce something that lives up to your standards no matter what the lyrics are about?

At first glance you would consider Axl the archetypal needs-personal-strife-to-create kind of artist. However it kind of seems that is only true up to a point - with regards to break-ups etc and their subsequent ballads - whereas when he was trying to sort out and overhaul his entire life (as he appeared to be from as early as Chicago 92) he actually ended up producing very little. Maybe he needs some stability to allow his reckless streak to flourish, if that makes any sense at all.

Still, odds are if he wrote a song about some serious hurt he experienced fifteen years ago that song would likely hold more gravitas to his mind, despite its age, than a song he wrote this year about how much he liked tequila or going to a nice wedding or something.

I just can't see Axl deviating too much from the lyrical content on chinese democracy even if the band writes new songs rather than use previously recorded material.

At first glance you would consider Axl the archetypal needs-personal-strife-to-create kind of artist. However it kind of seems that is only true up to a point - with regards to break-ups etc and their subsequent ballads - whereas when he was trying to sort out and overhaul his entire life (as he appeared to be from as early as Chicago 92) he actually ended up producing very little. Maybe he needs some stability to allow his reckless streak to flourish, if that makes any sense at all.

Still, odds are if he wrote a song about some serious hurt he experienced fifteen years ago that song would likely hold more gravitas to his mind, despite its age, than a song he wrote this year about how much he liked tequila or going to a nice wedding or something.

I agree. I think his best music has always come from experiences that involved some kind of negativity and hardship, the really emotionally taxing stuff. He did say once that he could relate to the concept of hate being a motivating force behind the music, which David Bowie discussed with him. I think a lot of musicians are like that. The music is a manifestation of emotional turmoil. If that's what you are like it's probably hard to get inspired by a sunny day and a beach umbrella.

yeah, but there used to be more of a balance. for instance, paradise city is about an urban nightmare in which axl was trapped. but the chorus existed in contrast to that. so it could still be a dark song, but fun to sing. nighttrain is a song about alcoholism. brownstone about drugs. used to love her is about killing your chick. but these songs can still be fun and clever while still addressing dark or serious subjects.

darkness, obviously, will be a part of anything axl does. but i found chinese democracy to be monotonous in that respect -- pity, sulking, whining, complaining, etc... i'd be bored to tears by more of that. so i will hold out hope that when axl gets around to writing new lyrics, his muse may take him in a slightly different direction. after all, axl's lyrics changed quite a bit between the HOF era and when he wrote CD. so who's to say he can't continue to change.

Not buying it. How are "Axl's third stringers" ever going to produce something that lives up to your standards no matter what the lyrics are about?

to be honest, i can't really say i care anymore about which musicians are in the "band." by the time they record something, they'll probably be gone anyways. and yeah, i never really cared about any of those musicians outside of gnr, so i don't have any special interest in them now. but i am curious in axl, and what he could end up writing. even if i don't really care for it, it'll still be interesting to listen to and think about.

Yes HRS, I think you have a valid point. CD was quite sulky (even though I loved it) and in that regard it was different to the other material. In my opinion I think it was an album he had to make since those emotions have played a big part in his life for such a long time. It would be quite good to see in the next album that he has moved on from that because you can see that he really isn't in that place anymore, so why release old material that dredges up shit that doesn't reflect how you feel anymore. Well, he still hates Slash and the HOF thing was a bitter scenario but hopefully that doesn't become the basis for a whole album, one song maybe? :)

This point has made me realise that it may be a complete mystery what the mood will be on the next album. Some bands have the ability to do serious stuff but also light hearted, superficial songs, which I just can't see Axl doing. And also we have no idea what the song writing dynamic is with the current lineup of guys.

to be honest, i can't really say i care anymore about which musicians are in the "band." by the time they record something, they'll probably be gone anyways. and yeah, i never really cared about any of those musicians outside of gnr, so i don't have any special interest in them now. but i am curious in axl, and what he could end up writing. even if i don't really care for it, it'll still be interesting to listen to and think about.

Surely you can understand my skepticism, because this is wholly out of character for you. I will let you have your discussion in peace though, it is a good one. Cheers.

I would kill to hear all the leftover CD songs........as well as an album put together by the current band.

I'm reading one of the GnR books now, and some of the classic GnR songs were written in a day or two. Taking a decade to create an album doesn't mean the songs will be better than an album created in a month!

I just wish we had more music with Axl's voice.

the old ones are not old ones. they're new guns n roses songs. post old slash and duff ones. they're recorded by robin finck and buckethead. these songs are new. not old. they should be the next guns n roses record of new materials

• 2 weeks later...

A timeless song is classic though - regardless of when it was written and how relevant the lyrics are.

I think that Civil War is GnR's overall strongest song. The lyrics could be from anytime in the past 30 years.

How many of the classic GnR songs are tied to something specific that can't be meaningful in different time periods? It's not like hip hop songs using pop culture references.

SCOM - about a girl.

Nov Rain - about a girl.

Better - about a girl

Don't Cry - about a girl

Street of Dreams - about a girl

Prostitute - about a girl

Rocketqueen - about a girl

TWAT - about a girl

You get the picture

And then the rockers - none of them are really tied to a year.

Nightrain

Paradise City

Jungle

You Could Be Mine

Coma

My point being I don't think the lyrical content in relationship to the time period is really that important. Just my opinion though.

I loved CD, so I would love to hear all the songs produced from that era.