Tupac Shakur vs. Axl Rose

arnold layne

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

definitely Axl

Not gunna lie I always thought Tupac was pretty overrated, I dig some of his shit but honestly can't get through one of his albums, BIG was way better imo

Each to his own but Biggie could n`t hold Pac`s jocks there was no and never will be rapper like 2Pac

BIG was just so hilarious and mean at the same time and his flow was so effortlessly good, Tupac was too serious and up his own ass for my taste :shrugs:

i will say, Outlawz > Junior MAFIA for sure

Again a matter of opinion

Guest Len B'stard

Biggies the better rapper, that much is undeniable, just listen to the rhymes, Biggies like fucking King MC in the classical sense of battle rappin' and all of that, Tupac wasn't that.

But overall Tupac was the business, the absolute living embodiment of Gangsta Rap, Art immitating life immitating art...and he died for it. To which i suppose arises the question was it worth it, thats another thread i guess.

But yeah, compared to Axl? Tupac by a million light years, Tupac was an icon, a label that people try and pin on Axl Rose but quite frankly, for better or worse, whatever your opinion may be on the subject, he is not. He just simply didn't have that kind of cultural mileage.

Tupac was contemporary, he was of his times, there was nothing of the throwback to Tupac, he was prodigious as an artist, something like 5 albums and and a load of films completed in 5 years of fame.

Tupac was an intense and fascinating person, Tupac could converse with your street level person as much as he could with, y'know, mainstream media types, he ALWAYS had something interesting to say, his answers were never commonplace and garden variety, you could tell a lot of thought had gone into his answers, he was quite an intense person and not in a cartooney bulgey neck veined Henry Rollins kinda way, it was just in his eyes, watch him in interviews when a more serious question is asked. And he was totally charming, something that a lot of contemporary stars aren't, point of fact, some of them, including Axl at times, could be dull as fuckin' dishwater but watch Tupac in interviews, he totally disarms the person interviewing them and by the end of it, has them eating out of his hands.

And musically he was straight from the gut, powerful. There was a life to him (odd for someone so obssessed with death) lots of rappers rap and lots of rappers are aggressive but very few of them sound passionate, Tupac sounded intensely passionate, perhaps because so much of his work was so personal but he conveyed it brilliantly, it's why Tupac was the one that really and truly cracked suburbia because he could really communicate to white middle class kids, cuz you lot love a bit of angst, don't you? :lol: Other raps kinda offered you a window to peek in to, like Cypress Hill like, ahhh, so THATS how the other have live, cool but Tupac, by making it about emotions, which are broader and more people can relate to because we all feel emotions irrespective of whether they are bought about by the same happenstances in our lives, Tupac made it about that, he made it not only about oppression but he should loads of different sides to the coin, Gangsta Rap/Hip Hop etc has always been about highlighting a certain plight and the social effects of that stuff but the emotional effect was only really touched upon in a super masculine way, with like, anger and such...whereas Tupac talked about crying and about feeling alone and...Jesus, thats really sticking your neck out there as far as the particular musical community that he came from at that time was concerned. But at the same time it was never maudlin, it was never mopey, it always ended on the up. He could fit so much into a song, it'd begin personal...tell you some problems...tell you why he thought they were as they were...and then put it in some kinda of elaborate socio-political context and it's like, OK, it's a personal song but connected to a broader issue.

Tupac was lucky (and i use the term VERY fucking loosely) kind of by default because he was sort of the embodiment of the hip hop generation because, y'know, sociologically speaking it's like, OK, sons and daughters of the black power movement that came up in the 80s through the crack epidemic and then early 90s they came with this kinda art reflecting all that shit, who better than Tupac as the embodiment of that, son of a Black Panther, lived in abject poverty for a lot of his early life, highly artistic, this is a boy whoose mother used to make him read the New York Times from cover to cover when he was naughty at 11 years old, even got his foot in the door at a Julliard School for as long as he could sustain it but, yeah, came up through the 80s crack epidemic and the genesis of contemporary hip hop and was riiiiiiiiiiight there in his early 20s at the peak of when the shit was kicking off, THAT is the kind of iconic-ness that you can't by, thats like a birthright thing, he WAS that generation, he was almost like a conduit for it, the living embodiment.

Pac was compelling, his music leaves you kinda wounded. And it just touched on so many fuckin' things, so many issues, out of the way things that ain't really the preserve of gangsta rappers, things like gender issues and stuff and like, OK, this guys got some serious heart.

So, yeah, i don't think Axl really bears comparison with Pac. Axls great, amazing voice, great image for a while there, pretty intense too in his own way but...there's no substance to Axl, he's not really about anything but himself and his songs and his lyrics all reflect this and, y'know, there's nothing wrong with writing deeply personal music but for it to work you have to be an interesting person and/or have something unique to say, neither of which i can say Axl has ever really done...at least not for a very very long time.

Edited by sugaraylen

Biggies the better rapper, that much is undeniable, just listen to the rhymes, Biggies like fucking King MC in the classical sense of battle rappin' and all of that, Tupac wasn't that.

But overall Tupac was the business, the absolute living embodiment of Gangsta Rap, Art immitating life immitating art...and he died for it. To which i suppose arises the question was it worth it, thats another thread i guess.

But yeah, compared to Axl? Tupac by a million light years, Tupac was an icon, a label that people try and pin on Axl Rose but quite frankly, for better or worse, whatever your opinion may be on the subject, he is not. He just simply didn't have that kind of cultural mileage.

Tupac was contemporary, he was of his times, there was nothing of the throwback to Tupac, he was prodigious as an artist, something like 5 albums and and a load of films completed in 5 years of fame.

Tupac was an intense and fascinating person, Tupac could converse with your street level person as much as he could with, y'know, mainstream media types, he ALWAYS had something interesting to say, his answers were never commonplace and garden variety, you could tell a lot of thought had gone into his answers, he was quite an intense person and not in a cartooney bulgey neck veined Henry Rollins kinda way, it was just in his eyes, watch him in interviews when a more serious question is asked. And he was totally charming, something that a lot of contemporary stars aren't, point of fact, some of them, including Axl at times, could be dull as fuckin' dishwater but watch Tupac in interviews, he totally disarms the person interviewing them and by the end of it, has them eating out of his hands.

And musically he was straight from the gut, powerful. There was a life to him (odd for someone so obssessed with death) lots of rappers rap and lots of rappers are aggressive but very few of them sound passionate, Tupac sounded intensely passionate, perhaps because so much of his work was so personal but he conveyed it brilliantly, it's why Tupac was the one that really and truly cracked suburbia because he could really communicate to white middle class kids, cuz you lot love a bit of angst, don't you? :lol: Other raps kinda offered you a window to peek in to, like Cypress Hill like, ahhh, so THATS how the other have live, cool but Tupac, by making it about emotions, which are broader and more people can relate to because we all feel emotions irrespective of whether they are bought about by the same happenstances in our lives, Tupac made it about that, he made it not only about oppression but he should loads of different sides to the coin, Gangsta Rap/Hip Hop etc has always been about highlighting a certain plight and the social effects of that stuff but the emotional effect was only really touched upon in a super masculine way, with like, anger and such...whereas Tupac talked about crying and about feeling alone and...Jesus, thats really sticking your neck out there as far as the particular musical community that he came from at that time was concerned. But at the same time it was never maudlin, it was never mopey, it always ended on the up. He could fit so much into a song, it'd begin personal...tell you some problems...tell you why he thought they were as they were...and then put it in some kinda of elaborate socio-political context and it's like, OK, it's a personal song but connected to a broader issue.

Tupac was lucky (and i use the term VERY fucking loosely) kind of by default because he was sort of the embodiment of the hip hop generation because, y'know, sociologically speaking it's like, OK, sons and daughters of the black power movement that came up in the 80s through the crack epidemic and then early 90s they came with this kinda art reflecting all that shit, who better than Tupac as the embodiment of that, son of a Black Panther, lived in abject poverty for a lot of his early life, highly artistic, this is a boy whoose mother used to make him read the New York Times from cover to cover when he was naughty at 11 years old, even got his foot in the door at a Julliard School for as long as he could sustain it but, yeah, came up through the 80s crack epidemic and the genesis of contemporary hip hop and was riiiiiiiiiiight there in his early 20s at the peak of when the shit was kicking off, THAT is the kind of iconic-ness that you can't by, thats like a birthright thing, he WAS that generation, he was almost like a conduit for it, the living embodiment.

Pac was compelling, his music leaves you kinda wounded. And it just touched on so many fuckin' things, so many issues, out of the way things that ain't really the preserve of gangsta rappers, things like gender issues and stuff and like, OK, this guys got some serious heart.

So, yeah, i don't think Axl really bears comparison with Pac. Axls great, amazing voice, great image for a while there, pretty intense too in his own way but...there's no substance to Axl, he's not really about anything but himself and his songs and his lyrics all reflect this and, y'know, there's nothing wrong with writing deeply personal music but for it to work you have to be an interesting person and/or have something unique to say, neither of which i can say Axl has ever really done...at least not for a very very long time.

I don`t see any similarities between Axl and 2Pac whatsoever when someone compares artists to each other they should at least have something in common one`s a rocker and the other was a rapper so i don`t see how anyone compares Axl and Pac but this topic like it`s starter can`t be taken seriously no offense but this long winded and boring ass bullshit rambling was n`t necessary. P. S. 2Pac > > > > Biggie

I actually found that really interesting. I know nothing about him and very little about rap and hip hop and thought that gave great insight into one of the big players of that genre. :)

Guest Len B'stard

I don`t see any similarities between Axl and 2Pac whatsoever when someone compares artists to each other they should at least have something in common one`s a rocker and the other was a rapper so i don`t see how anyone compares Axl and Pac but this topic like it`s starter can`t be taken seriously no offense but this long winded and boring ass bullshit rambling was n`t necessary. P. S. 2Pac > > > > Biggie

Well, there have to be differences or whats the point in comparison? The more similarities they have the less there is to compare, no? It's a music board and I'm comparing musicians, based on a question posed to me, it's not a construct of mine. It's a pretty simple comparison to make actually, both musicians, both male, both of the same

Era, who cares if they worked at different genres, music is about the expression of human emotion and human emotion is the same no matter what genre the person chooses to communicate his message through, it's not like i was comparing Dre beats with Slash solos here.

Well, there have to be differences or whats the point in comparison? The more similarities they have the less there is to compare, no? It's a music board and I'm comparing musicians, based on a question posed to me, it's not a construct of mine. It's a pretty simple comparison to make actually, both musicians, both male, both of the same

Era, who cares if they worked at different genres, music is about the expression of human emotion and human emotion is the same no matter what genre the person chooses to communicate his message through, it's not like i was comparing Dre beats with Slash solos here.

Fine, opinions are like assholes everyone has them 2Pac and Axl both were great in their own unique ways genres don`t matter :) ? OK whatever rocks your boat :thumbsup:

Edited by Son of a Guns

Guest Len B'stard

Fine, opinions are like assholes everyone has them 2Pac and Axl both were great in their own unique ways genres don`t matter :) ? OK whatever rocks your boat :thumbsup:

Okie dokie Callahan ;)

Okie dokie Callahan ;)

Who the fuck is Okie Dokie Callahan ?

I'd love to actually see Axl vs 2Pac prison rules! :lol: How long y'all reckon before 'Pac has him bent over the nearest wall giving his arse a pounding? :lol:

From the news going around at the time, Mr. Shakur copped an Alabama Black Snake up the shitter in prison. Just sayin yo.

Guest Len B'stard

I'd love to actually see Axl vs 2Pac prison rules! :lol: How long y'all reckon before 'Pac has him bent over the nearest wall giving his arse a pounding? :lol:

From the news going around at the time, Mr. Shakur copped an Alabama Black Snake up the shitter in prison. Just sayin yo.

Wendy O Williams has a history of winding rappers up though:

Meth' is piiiiiiissed..

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup:

Too true.

16 years ago today. Rest in Peace, Pac.