And Morrissey once said..

Zint

Guest Len B'stard

There was a time where i was so into the fucking Ramones that no other music existed for me, i'd say they're about the greatest band to ever come out of America aside from The Stooges. The complete package, the perfect rock band, fuckin' nevermind the albums, i can quote most Ramones documentaries pretty thoroughly, i've seen End of the Century so many times i've worn out 2 different DVDs of it...now it's up on youtube so i can get a fix for free :lol:

Sounds like a obssessive level of fan-dom but you gotta bear in mind that i've been into The Ramones since the mid 90s and it's only like 10 years on that they really starting getting the level of recognition and exposure and documentaries about them and etc etc coming out so it was like a godsend, like i'd be waiting for the shit my whole life. And then youtube and shit and finding all this rare stuff, interviews and such, i was shocked that Johnny Ramone sounded like he did, like his voice, dunno why either :lol:

But yeah, adore The Ramones, first (and only) band whoose songs i learned on guitar...and they're so fun to play too!

There was a time where i was so into the fucking Ramones that no other music existed for me, i'd say they're about the greatest band to ever come out of America aside from The Stooges. The complete package, the perfect rock band, fuckin' nevermind the albums, i can quote most Ramones documentaries pretty thoroughly, i've seen End of the Century so many times i've worn out 2 different DVDs of it...now it's up on youtube so i can get a fix for free :lol:

Sounds like a obssessive level of fan-dom but you gotta bear in mind that i've been into The Ramones since the mid 90s and it's only like 10 years on that they really starting getting the level of recognition and exposure and documentaries about them and etc etc coming out so it was like a godsend, like i'd be waiting for the shit my whole life. And then youtube and shit and finding all this rare stuff, interviews and such, i was shocked that Johnny Ramone sounded like he did, like his voice, dunno why either :lol:

But yeah, adore The Ramones, first (and only) band whoose songs i learned on guitar...and they're so fun to play too!

"Pizza? I WANT SOME!" B)

Guest Len B'stard

"Pizza? I WANT SOME!" B)

Apparently, even that much of the line didn't end up in the movie :lol:

I suppose it's difficult to see now but in 1974 a band like that were pretty offensive to the sensibilities of about 99% of music listeners.

Which is what is so amusing about the President of the New York Dolls fan club not getting it.

See his problem was he thought the Dolls were some kind of fucking art thing, like satire or something, sending up rock excesses by embodying them...trouble was, they weren't, they were very serious and earnest and reasonably unhinged :lol:

"Sending up rock excesses"...well, if he couldn't spot that in the Ramones. :lol::shrugs:

The notion i guess was that The Dolls were something to do with some of the air Andy Warhol breathed and hence, there was some sort of governing genius to their thing whereas The Ramones were fucking dumbasses...but yeah, i always saw The Ramones as a sending up of as well as a fond celebration of the core of rock...and nailed in a way no band before or since has.

Even David Jo' didn't dig The Ramones to begin with, he's in some documentary or another like, y'know, saying he thought they were awful when they started out. Then again, the whole Buster Poindexter episode is an indicator that DJs judgement is perhaps not the soundest it could be :lol:

Noooooooo he had it all wrong.

The Ramones were art, it was minimalism maaaan.

:lol:

I think Morrissey always thought bands like the NY Dolls never got their due, and was a big advocate for them, and still is. In time, he became a fan of The Ramones' music.

Guest Len B'stard

I suppose it's difficult to see now but in 1974 a band like that were pretty offensive to the sensibilities of about 99% of music listeners.

Which is what is so amusing about the President of the New York Dolls fan club not getting it.

See his problem was he thought the Dolls were some kind of fucking art thing, like satire or something, sending up rock excesses by embodying them...trouble was, they weren't, they were very serious and earnest and reasonably unhinged :lol:

"Sending up rock excesses"...well, if he couldn't spot that in the Ramones. :lol::shrugs:

The notion i guess was that The Dolls were something to do with some of the air Andy Warhol breathed and hence, there was some sort of governing genius to their thing whereas The Ramones were fucking dumbasses...but yeah, i always saw The Ramones as a sending up of as well as a fond celebration of the core of rock...and nailed in a way no band before or since has.

Even David Jo' didn't dig The Ramones to begin with, he's in some documentary or another like, y'know, saying he thought they were awful when they started out. Then again, the whole Buster Poindexter episode is an indicator that DJs judgement is perhaps not the soundest it could be :lol:

I think Morrissey always thought bands like the NY Dolls never got their due, and was a big advocate for them, and still is. In time, he became a fan of The Ramones' music.

He had a bit to do with them getting back together too, did he not? At least that Arthur Kane docu made it look so.

He had a bit to do with them getting back together too, did he not? At least that Arthur Kane docu made it look so.

He did facilitate the reunion.

Izzy was going to do that show with them, but bailed when talk of a full tour popped up.

Izzy was going to do that show with them, but bailed when talk of a full tour popped up.

At the time, Johansen was just going to do the one show. Maybe it was something discussed between them at the time.

At the time, Johansen was just going to do the one show. Maybe it was something discussed between them at the time.

I saw the Dolls last year on the Crüe / Poison tour. Great show.