Does Axl’s USA Today session cast doubt over CD II as the ‘next best album’ for GN’R?

Guest NGOG

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

http://www.usatoday....c-more/1669329/

New music: "All the guys are writing, and we recorded a lot of songs over the years. We'll figure out what we feel best about. Chinese was done in piecemeal with one person here and one there at different times. Appetite for Destruction was the only thing written with lyrics and melody fitting the guitar parts at the same time. After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody."

From Axl’s interview with USA Today it became clear to me in the context of new music; Axl views Chinese in an almost historical context with Appetite rather than an ongoing set of instalments. He is critical of the changing musicians and timescale as well the complexity of the instruments that he had to almost contrive lyrics and vocals for.

I feel that rather than release another album of music created largely between 1999 and 2006 (which Axl was initially enthusiastic about, glorifying unheard titles such as ‘The General’ etc), Axl is pondering attempting the creation of a fresher album recorded closer to the AFD/simple rock style in both the sense of approach and overall vibe. Particularly incorporating the efforts of DJ Ashba.

I think Axl wants a hit. He’ll want to be able to sustain the fame and acclaim garnering around the current residency.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Fair enough, but hopefully Tommy and Richard will be more involved this time, Tommy's solo work is pretty solid and Richard is an awesome guitar player and he's got the right tone and feel for Guns, I want to HEAR these guys on the next album.

The less DJ Ashba is involved the better. I'd rather listen to Buckethead arranging dog poop in the studio than having that Ed Hardy cheeseball channeling Slash on a Guns album.

Guest RonMexico82

http://www.usatoday....c-more/1669329/

New music: "All the guys are writing, and we recorded a lot of songs over the years. We'll figure out what we feel best about. Chinese was done in piecemeal with one person here and one there at different times. Appetite for Destruction was the only thing written with lyrics and melody fitting the guitar parts at the same time. After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody."

From Axl’s interview with USA Today it became clear to me in the context of new music; Axl views Chinese in an almost historical context with Appetite rather than an ongoing set of instalments. He is critical of the changing musicians and timescale as well the complexity of the instruments that he had to almost contrive lyrics and vocals for.

I feel that rather than release another album of music created largely between 1999 and 2006 (which Axl was initially enthusiastic about, glorifying unheard titles such as ‘The General’ etc), Axl is pondering attempting the creation of a fresher album recorded closer to the AFD/simple rock style in both the sense of approach and overall vibe. Particularly incorporating the efforts of DJ Ashba.

I think Axl wants a hit. He’ll want to be able to sustain the fame and acclaim garnering around the current residency.

Fair enough, but hopefully Tommy and Richard will be more involved this time, Tommy's solo work is pretty solid and Richard is an awesome guitar player and he's got the right tone and feel for Guns, I want to HEAR these guys on the next album.

The less DJ Ashba is involved the better. I'd rather listen to Buckethead arranging dog poop in the studio than having that Ed Hardy cheeseball channeling Slash on a Guns album.

+1. Spot on.

I think this is one of Axl's most honest interviews in a long time. Slash and Duff come off as nice guys, but as for putting down Axl, how could that be good for the whole band? I guess it was their drugging and drinking times and since they were rock stars they didn't care. As for S. Seymour, why would anyone listen to a no brain model's opinion?

I like how Axl feels good about the guys in the band. I can totally understand the whole thing about the music business. Everyone loves you when you're on top, but when you hit hard times or dare to want to go into a different direction, then they turn on you. I think Axl should find good honest people and start his own record company and give other newer bands a chance at success.

Being abused as a child is horrible. Some people can never get over it Axl must be a a strong person to have healed. Abuse of a child is the most horrible crime anyone can do and should be put in jail like a savage. I hope there is a special place in hell for animal and child abusers.

I think Axl sounds like he's in a good place right now I'm happy for him. As for his love of his animals, I totally understand it. Animals love you unconditional and are always aware of your feelings and emotions. They are truly a comfort to anyone with pets. I'm glad Axl has that comfort in his life.

Im surprised acl has gone from glorifying the cd work to wanting to take an afd approach. Anyone think he brought dj in bc of the sucess he brought the crue I wouldnt b surprised.

I think it's motley crues name and image that brings it success I wouldn't credit DJ Ashba. Maybe Ashba brought in the tween crowd but that's all I can think of.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

For the record I too am a fan of the CD era and from a selfish stance would rather hear the rest of the material from those sessions before attempting anything else.

That said this thread is to initiate debate regarding Axl's intentions and for me this exclusive indicates strongly that we aren't going to hear CD II legally. Not in the form Finck/Buckethead/Fortus left it anyway.

I donno theyve traded setlist songs like omg rhiad even silkworms for civil war dead flowers n estranged. Combined w bringing in dj who co wrote the last crue album makes me belive axl is moving away from the industrial n back twoards his roots.

I'd rather them release a deluxe edition of CD with the songs from that era.

I'm hoping the next album is fresh material. DJ isn't my favorite but I'd love to see what the band can do. Also, Axl seems likes he's in a good place right now. I'd love to hear songs coming from him at this moment in time.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl will have beats from CD II that he wishes were out there. But he's told us, I believe in the sit down with Del James, the unheard sessions have even more intense instruments.

Now that he seems to have went off that concept, are the release of Atlas etc. now in doubt? Or will Axl review those tracks and attempt to recapture their 1999, more simple essence?

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Im surprised acl has gone from glorifying the cd work to wanting to take an afd approach. Anyone think he brought dj in bc of the sucess he brought the crue I wouldnt b surprised.

Im surprised axl has gone from glorifying the cd work to wanting to take an afd approach. Anyone think he brought dj in bc of the sucess he brought the crue I wouldnt b surprised.

AFD lyrics came easy to him but they also had a lot of time to play those songs in front of an audience before they were signed.

UYI - they wrote in separate camps.

CD - Axl turned it into Steely Dan.

Future projects - lessons learned from the past - go with what works - live in the studio for the majority of it.

They just need to bring the tapes out at The Joint, and see what they can play live now. I don't see why they can't have 5 or 6 songs finished before the end of the residency and debut a couple of them.