Is The Lost Boys the best film of all time?

Guest Iron Fist SS

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

I am objective and unbiased.

If anyone were truly objective and unbiased in their assessment of movies they'd have no taste whatsoever in cinema and they'd approach each genre or set of movies without predudice and go from there and no one does that, we all have bias and preferences.

For example, how many blaxploitation movies you seen?

Bullshit. Some films are better than others, it's not subjective at all.

If you tell me that you think that Kindergarden Cop is the best film of all time, I can tell you that you're wrong. It's a fact that it isn't.

The Lost Boys is on the other hand great. It's a classic with great plot and soundtrack. I think it is the best film, we could close this thread really, there isn't anything to discuss any more, I've made up my mind.

OK well on what basis do you judge these things? What are the rules by which you discern one movie is better than another? And how and under whoose auspices are these rules settled upon?

Fuck off, Lenny. :lol: You and me spent years advocating these thoughts in the who betta thread and all over the my world section. It pains me to see how much you have changed. :(

Edited by Lithium

Guest Len B'stard

Bullshit. Some films are better than others, it's not subjective at all.

If you tell me that you think that Kindergarden Cop is the best film of all time, I can tell you that you're wrong. It's a fact that it isn't.

The Lost Boys is on the other hand great. It's a classic with great plot and soundtrack. I think it is the best film, we could close this thread really, there isn't anything to discuss any more, I've made up my mind.

OK well on what basis do you judge these things? What are the rules by which you discern one movie is better than another? And how and under whoose auspices are these rules settled upon?

Fuck off, Lenny. :lol: You and me spent years advocating these thoughts in the who betta thread. It pains me to see how much you have changed. :(

You must've misunderstood me in the who betta thread, if you recall i used to say that there is no answer to those questions and the whole idea of music being a competitive thing is ridiculous BUT, for the sake of argument, if i'm pushed to pick a side based on the available information and reach as good a conclusion as i can on that basis, THIS is my answer and THIS is how i reached that conclusion :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Sorry, i was in fact, completely wrong and streak is right, Commando is the greatest film of all time.

*kiwi accent*

John? Stick your head out...one shot...right between the eyes, i'll make it quick. Just for old times sake.

:lol:

Nah, you went on and on about "artistic merit" and whatnot. :lol:

I agree with that mindset. Certain pieces of art demand a lot more and in that sense, they are better. It's like comparing two items - in most cases, all you need is to review the craftsmanship. Art is no different - more abstract, yes, but ultimately no different.

Edited by Lithium

Guest Len B'stard

Nah, you went on and on about "artistic merit" and whatnot. :lol:

I agree with that mindset. Certain pieces of art demand a lot more and in that sense, they are better. It's like comparing two items - in most cases, all you need is to review the craftsmanship. Art is no different - more abstract, yes, but ultimately no different.

OK, so i got a Breitling watch in one hand and a £10 Casio watch in the other, the Breitling is clearly the superior timepiece, better construction, better craftsmanship, worth a billion times more than the £10 Casio watch., precise as fuck, handcrafted, each minute little piece is specifically designed for that watch to serve it's function above and beyond the average, even the links to it's chain cost £100 a pop.

Guy one loves his Breitling, wears it for the rest of his life, likes the weight of it, it feels comfortable to him, loves a quality timepiece, looks good on him, perfect for him.

Guy two loves his £10 Casio watch, it's waterproof, you pretty much never have to take it off, it's precise, its functional and you could wear it for the rest of your life quite comfortably and it suits Guy twos purpose cuz he don't like big heavy chunky watches and this is cheap and cheerful and serves exactly the same purpose as the Breitling for Guy two.

So which is the better watch?

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

It is a superior watch. You said it.

Just because one cunt prefers a cheaper version doesn't make it better.

But the point of a watch is to tell the time and with precision and if the Casio is better suited to guy No. 2 then, for him, it is a better watch, being that they both tell time with enough precision to serve the common mans purposes and they'll both last you out a fair ol' slog and he don't like a big hefty Breitling, he prefers the Casio cuz it's compact, you don't really have to ever take it off, it doesn't require servicing every year for £700 a turn, so whats better from guy No 2s perspective?

The Breitling is a superior timepiece when judging timepiece to timepiece but looking at it like that is to miss the point because, OK, a timepiece is useless if there ain't people there to use it to tell the time, no? So whats of importance, clinically assessing the functionality and value of the timepiece or looking at it from the perspective of the people and how it's gonna be used and which is more suitable and/or functional for the needs of the person in question?

Agreed Lith' but the fact that it can't be judged objectively surely is indicative of the uselessness of applying objectivity in these sorts of assessments because they are functional things designed for use by human beings, timepieces exist because there are people to use them so how can you divorce the people from the equation? It's missing the point entirely.

Edited by sugaraylen

Commando is the greatest film of all time.

Sorry, i was in fact, completely wrong and streak is right, Commando is the greatest film of all time.

*kiwi accent*

John? Stick your head out...one shot...right between the eyes, i'll make it quick. Just for old times sake.

Thirded! Commando is indeed the greatest thing ever committed to celluloid! :)

Guest Len B'stard

How dare you answer me back.

Sorry, you're right, it's the Breitling, i'm a cunt :lol:

Are you sure that you 2 aren't the same person? :question:

Yeah, thats it ;)

Commando is the greatest film of all time.

*kiwi accent*

Thirded! Commando is indeed the greatest thing ever committed to celluloid! :)

A US Special Forces soldier...with a kiwi accent. Stop and think about that for a second :lol: