ARTISTdirect.com Live Show of the Year: Guns N' Roses

The Archer

http://www.artistdir...-roses/10362602

Mon, 31 Dec 2012 14:16:52

2012 saw the band enjoy a few live milestones—more than most can cop to. First off, back in March, Guns N' Roses initiated its "L.A. Takeover". They put on three iconic shows at intimate Los Angeles venues including The Palladium, The Wiltern, and The Sunset Strip House of Blues. The gigs proved to be star-studded affairs with everyone from Charlie Sheen to Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose appearing in the audiences. However, the real stars were the band.

DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus, and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal shredded with incisive six-string virtuosity, teetering between visceral and vibrant. Tommy Stinson's punk-i-fied bass wallop punched intensely. Meanwhile, Frank Ferrer pounded out stadium-size grooves that practically broke the Richter scale. Of course, we can't forget Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman sprinkling classical elegance during the likes of "Estranged" and industrial violence on "Shackler's Revenge".

Axl Rose stood at the helm of this well-oiled rock 'n' roll monster, guiding it like Godzilla decimating Southern California. Rose sounded insurmountably alive as he ignited classics like "November Rain" and "You Could Be Mine" with an unshakable delivery. His charisma remains legendary, as he transfixed the jaded Los Angeles crowd holding in the "Jungle" for over three hours each night. They gyrated along with him and begged for more even in the staggering set list.

After the "Takeover", the group transplanted this mind-blowing experience to The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas for Appetite for Democracy. After going on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Rose provided the entire audience tickets to the residency. For the month of November, the band consistently slayed Sin City audiences with a transcendent show including everything from Rose flying over the crowd while playing the piano for "November Rain", to pyro as hot as "Mr. Brownstone", and a bevy of writhing dancers. It was everything an evening in Vegas should be and so much more.

Guns N' Roses capped the year off with an historical run of India. Watching the band multiple times, it feels like the start of the next phase still. There's no place like the jungle run by Mr. Axl Rose, and there never will be. That's why we're naming Guns N' Roses our Best Live Act of 2012.

Rick Florino

Edited by The Archer

If you use the rubber icon in the toolbar, second from left, it will get rid of all the formatting from the text.

Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Happy new year Archer!

Happy New Year Buddy!

Edited by The Archer

Awesome. It's nice to see people that actually enjoyed the shows (surprise: the target audience!) saying how good they were instead of a few assh, I mean posters with too loud voices around here complaining about them. :)

oh c'mon

Axl's voice is gone most of 2012...

But if we didn't take this as an important factor, 2012 was a good year though

I love the shows, and yes, Axl's voice isn't that great, but seriously, these people just want to have fun. To me Axl's voice is strong for the biggest part of the classics like NR outro, Jungle, Patience outro, YCBM outro, RQ outro, SCOM outro, ISE, etc. To those casual fans his voice is really strong when "hidden" by a wall of guitars throughout the show. I dont agree that 2012 was a good year. They are touring the world but what's the point? When Axl has a chance to prove the world that he's back he blows like an amateur singer. The band is always (apart from DJ that simply sucks sometimes) on fire, they want to record and show the fkn world that they're alive and creating music. What exactly is Axl doing? Touring the world will make 5, 10, 20 thousands of people know that he's doing well each night. In a year, well, maybe 100, 200, 300 thousands will get to see them. If they record an album and promote the thing, millions and millions and more millions of people will be able to listen to them (YouTube, MTV, radio, TV shows, etc) and decide if they're worthy or not. Axl said that he would like to work more on Chinese. I mean, really? The album that took you almost two decades to release, you have a chance to show the whole world that you did it and you're at your home watching the biased press bash it. His band mates were doing promo whenever they could, but there's only one man that could have changed something. That man blowed his chance.

The timeline is out there. He's got a few years left in him before he can't sing his own stuff properly. If he's gonna waste a few more years with other CD tours, good. He'll just be wasting his and his band mates talents and I believe that some will leave, just like Robin and Bucket. If he's up for something bigger (not as in attendance or record sales, but musically), the time is not now. The time was 10 years ago. And he's too late already.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

GNR did America. TV for my bunghole. Axl must be like Cornelius at this point chewing through armchairs to release Dj n Roses that would storm the White House with the A-Team riding shotgun to the heart of American Bankruptcy.

GNR did America. TV for my bunghole. Axl must be like Cornelius at this point chewing through armchairs to release Dj n Roses that would storm the White House with the A-Team riding shotgun to the heart of American Bankruptcy.

That was beautiful, man.

It is the life show of the year for sure, and maybe the best live show there is at the moment.

I have not seen the Kiss/Mötley Crüe show yet, who knows, they might be good as well.

Compared to other shows I have seen of any kind, GNR is in its own category.

The shows are such a great mix of catchy songs, Axl charisma, über talented musicians, great sound, matching lights&effects etc.

It is the life show of the year for sure, and maybe the best live show there is at the moment.

I have not seen the Kiss/Mötley Crüe show yet, who knows, they might be good as well.

Compared to other shows I have seen of any kind, GNR is in its own category.

The shows are such a great mix of catchy songs, Axl charisma, über talented musicians, great sound, matching lights&effects etc.

I'm not just saying this as a huge GNR fan but it really is the best show today.

I've seen quite a few bands recently and although some shows were awesome, they do not compare to the monster that is GNR.

Dont tell me Axls voice wasnt awesome in 2012. This clip alone proves that this was the show of the year.

No it waws n`t fat fuck needs to work out more and get his rasp back 2010 voice would be great

He needs to get back to his best voice of all, mickey!!!!