Anyone into Baroque, Classical and Romantic music?

Georgy Zhukov

Isn't their a connection between classical and metal?

yes definitely. most people that are fans of metal are also into classical music. most metal i listen to has a lot of violins, piano, orchestral stuff going on.

stuff like this

i read this article an article a while back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052606/Take-note-Fans-heavy-metal-classical-music-lot-common-study-finds.html

basically says that metal and classical fans have exactly the same personality traits.

here was another little snippet of a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrIdyLXdhBo

The first video was awesome and pretty much proves that classical and metal are linked and work well together. Wagner and Beethoven totally would have added electric bass and guitars to their orchestra.

The personality trait list is funny, especially Reggae, Indie/Punk and Charting pop. It seems the Jazz enthusiasts have it best. That is another genre I like but that is for another thread.

That is probably the most perfect rendition of Eruption I've heard.

Not really. :shrugs:

If you can read in French, I recommend you a book by Francis Pagnon, it's called En évoquant Wagner. It's really enlightening, it explains why classical is the only real music and what's the real meaning of that music...

Recently, I bought a Vladimir Horowitz's boxset (The Complete Original Jacket Collection). It's incredibly good.

Guest Len B'stard

The personality trait list is funny, especially Reggae, Indie/Punk and Charting pop. It seems the Jazz enthusiasts have it best. That is another genre I like but that is for another thread.

I love punk and reggae and so did a great many people from the time of the original punk music and beyond and the personality traits they list for those two contradict each other.

I think there is a connection. Especially Wagner's work and Beethoven concerts, big works, big sound, from slow to loud.

Metal, but also a lot of big rock songs have simularities. I understand how it is possible, how I like rock/some metal and classical music at the same time.

I love punk and reggae and so did a great many people from the time of the original punk music and beyond and the personality traits they list for those two contradict each other.

Like a Muslim with a liking for bacon sarnies and ale? :lol:

Yep, I love classical and baroque. Have not listened to much romantic because I find it quite heavy and have not previously been able to relate to it, but am thinking now I will give it another try, as life experience really informs your understanding of music which is such an emotional medium.

It's funny but when I was little I did ballet and listened to classical music. Then when I was 14/15 GNR came out and I then shifted straight over to rock/metal type music. I never realised there was such a close connection but it makes sense. Mind you, I think that 'classical' music (classical as a broad term, not specific within the genre) has a lot more scope to it and dynamic than metal does. I dunno, bran might disagree with me here, but I really hear a lot more emotional spectrum with classical music than I do with metal. Still the similarities are there though.

And what if you are eclectic, like me? :lol:

Think the trait list is bull, like Sugar says, lots of punks loved reggae and ska as well.

Yep, I love classical and baroque. Have not listened to much romantic because I find it quite heavy and have not previously been able to relate to it, but am thinking now I will give it another try, as life experience really informs your understanding of music which is such an emotional medium.

It's funny but when I was little I did ballet and listened to classical music. Then when I was 14/15 GNR came out and I then shifted straight over to rock/metal type music. I never realised there was such a close connection but it makes sense. Mind you, I think that 'classical' music (classical as a broad term, not specific within the genre) has a lot more scope to it and dynamic than metal does. I dunno, bran might disagree with me here, but I really hear a lot more emotional spectrum with classical music than I do with metal. Still the similarities are there though.

I could have written this, same story, same opinion :lol:

Edited by MBRose

Think the trait list is bull, like Sugar says, lots of punks loved reggae and ska as well.

I just like that it says indie fans have low self esteem. That'd explain 'em all looking like cunts hiding behind those stupid thick rimmed glasses. :lol:

I just like that it says indie fans have low self esteem. That'd explain 'em all looking like cunts hiding behind those stupid thick rimmed glasses. :lol:

Haha, luckily for me indie is probably the only music I don't like ;)

OMG, I think it is hilarious and absolutely correct.

Country and Western fans are hard-working, reggae fans are laidback, punk fans are aggressive and creative, while fans of indie bands lack self-esteem.

The reference to indie fans actually makes a lot of sense. They take so much effort to define themselves as 'different and unique' that it reeks of insecurity. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

You realise indie as the dm would have you understand basically means like stone roses, oasis, blur, charlatans etc? :lol:

yes definitely. most people that are fans of metal are also into classical music. most metal i listen to has a lot of violins, piano, orchestral stuff going on.

stuff like this

i read this article an article a while back

http://www.dailymail...tudy-finds.html

basically says that metal and classical fans have exactly the same personality traits.

here was another little snippet of a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrIdyLXdhBo

This! Nothing like metal and classical music!

Haha, luckily for me indie is probably the only music I don't like ;)

I don't think there is a type of music called indie.

You realise indie as the dm would have you understand basically means like stone roses, oasis, blur, charlatans etc? :lol:

Very true but that was before all this hipster cobblers came about. Technically it's simply independent labels and the like but then it's not meant that in forever either. :lol:

You'd be right if in fact you weren't wrong which you are because there is. :)

I googled first :lol:, haven't seen mentioning of those. But if they are, It seems I like some Indie.

Edited by MBRose

Guns N' Roses has stayed far from classical music until Chinese Democracy. Buckethead and Pitman added classical elements.

Bumblefoot too obviously since the fretless is used throughout classical music.

Well, NR and Estranged are not that far off imo.

You'd be right if in fact you weren't wrong which you are because there is. :)

You'd be right if in fact you weren't wrong which you are because there isn't. :)

What's indie music? Originally it was a term that described the music done out of big record labels. Music that didn't follow the mainstream scene. Something that differed from the popular stuff. But it's not a type of music itself, like punk, reggae, jazz, etc. There are "indie" musicians and bans which sound completely different form each others (that's why there are sub-genres such as lo-fi, post-rock, math rock, indie pop, dream pop, noise rock, space rock, sadcore, riot grrrl, etc.). For me 90% of them are just average musicians, that's why big labels don't give a fuck about them.

Indie was meant to be independent, out of the mainstream, but nowadys there is nothing more trendy and "cool" than wearing those rimmed glasses and those old person clothes. You have to pretend you like those things to be modern enough, and even Justin Bieber follows that style. So, hasn't "indie" lost its meaning?

Bands like Arctic monkeys, The libertines and Bloc party started as indie groups, but now they sound in the radio, on the cover of The rolling Stone... are they still indie? Same with old bands like Oasis, it goes against the spirit of the indie concept when a song like Wonderwall is known by everybody, they sell millions and they do basically the same things as any other non indie band.

Conclusion: "indie music" is probably the most stupid and senseless concept ever made in music.

Edited by izzygirl