Anyone into Baroque, Classical and Romantic music?

Georgy Zhukov

Guns N' Roses has stayed far from classical music until Chinese Democracy. Buckethead and Pitman added classical elements.

Bumblefoot too obviously since the fretless is used throughout classical music.

Well, NR and Estranged are not that far off imo.

Yeah, it ventured into that territory.

I don't think there is a type of music called indie.

You'd be right if in fact you weren't wrong which you are because there is. :)

You'd be right if in fact you weren't wrong which you are because there isn't. :)

What's indie music? Originally it was a term that described the music done out of big record labels. Music that didn't follow the mainstream scene. Something that differed from the popular stuff. But it's not a type of music itself, like punk, reggae, jazz, etc. There are "indie" musicians and bans which sound completely different form each others (that's why there are sub-genres such as lo-fi, post-rock, math rock, indie pop, dream pop, noise rock, space rock, sadcore, riot grrrl, etc.). For me 90% of them are just average musicians, that's why big labels don't give a fuck about them.

Indie was meant to be independent, out of the mainstream, but nowadys there is nothing more trendy and "cool" than wearing those rimmed glasses and those old person clothes. You have to pretend you like those things to be modern enough, and even Justin Bieber follows that style. So, hasn't "indie" lost its meaning?

Bands like Arctic monkeys, The libertines and Bloc party started as indie groups, but now they sound in the radio, on the cover of The rolling Stone... are they still indie? Same with old bands like Oasis, it goes against the spirit of the indie concept when a song like Wonderwall is known by everybody, they sell millions and they do basically the same things as any other non indie band.

Conclusion: "indie music" is probably the most stupid and senseless concept ever made in music.

Indie has evolved into a genre and fashion statement.

Maybe not evolved but it is certainly different than what we normally associate alternative rock.

And they have nothing to do with classical music.

Guest Len B'stard

By Barca girls reckoning as outlined above punk ain't really a kind of music in that sense either. I find it almost impossible to provide some kind of evidence for it now, i've tried googling it to no avail but when i was a lad (Dazey, you know this, right?) Indie was basically what people called all the Britpop bands and some of the seminal bands to that movement such as The Roses, Inspirals etc.

Sorry, NR and Estranged are not far off classical? :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

By Barca girls reckoning as outlined above punk ain't really a kind of music in that sense either. I find it almost impossible to provide some kind of evidence for it now, i've tried googling it to no avail but when i was a lad (Dazey, you know this, right?) Indie was basically what people called all the Britpop bands and some of the seminal bands to that movement such as The Roses, Inspirals etc.

Aye exactly and now it's generally a catch all term for the latest NME wetdream of the week but it still refers to a genre even if that genre is changing frequently. By Izzygirl logic RnB wouldn't be a genre either as rather than Rhythm and Blues it seems to mean blokes with loads of gold and women with big arses banging on about some bollocks or other these days.

Edited by Dazey

Sorry, NR and Estranged are not far off classical? :lol:

Ofcourse it's not classical, that's not what I was trying to say. Classical music is at a whole different level. But it's definately influenced by that. How NR and Estranged are built up, for examle. Slow to very big (bombastic), there are some resemblances in concept.

when i was a lad (Dazey, you know this, right?) Indie was basically what people called all the Britpop bands and some of the seminal bands to that movement such as The Roses, Inspirals etc.

Well, then my concept of indie music is different of yours. When I was like 9 or 10, there was nothing more mainstream and trendy than Brit pop. All my friends and I used to buy teen magazines (Super Pop, Bravo, etc), and Blur, Oasis, etc. were in the cover pretty often. Actually everybody liked Damon Albarn as girl like One Direction nowadays.

Aye exactly and now it's generally a catch all term for the latest NME wetdream of the week but it still refers to a genre even if that genre is changing frequently. By Izzygirl logic RnB wouldn't be a genre either as rather than Rhythm and Blues it seems to mean blokes with loads of gold and women with big arses banging on about some bollocks or other these days.

You can say what you want and I guess it's debatable but I still don't consider indie a genre itself. There are musicians rated as indie that differ completely from each other. From what I've seen they cover a range from a depressed Taylor Swift style to a Marilyn Manson style. That doesn't happen with RnB, you hear it and you can easily say that's RnB (there are musical similarities, not just a common look).

I don't know how things are in England but here anything with only 4 or 5 fans is rated as indie.

On topic: I'm a big fan of Vivaldi

Edited by izzygirl

I think we need a mention here of contemporary composers too. I think the best 20th century composer was Polish composer Henryck Gorecki. His most famous and probably his best work was Symphony No. 3, better known as the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. Written for the memory of the jews exterminated during WWII, but the music is so touching that it can relate to any tragedy or sadness, I think. Probably one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard. I actually find it hard to listen to if I'm not in the right mood for it. Georgy I think you would appreciate this piece in light of what has happened in your hometown recently.

This is just one movement, but the whole thing is on youtube.

• 1 year later...