Ideal time period between albums?

Cosmo

Depends on the band. A band like GNR has polarized its fanbase and it has hurt their reputation for the release of new material. Then you have a band like Tool, who are still making their new album (first since 2006), and people are pretty faithful to them despite their lack of communication with fans. It really depends on how you handle the releases of your music I guess.

I'd say two years is ideal in most cases.

Most bands establish some sort of rhythm, don't they? Assuming they are active and intent on releasing new music, they probably have a similar length of time in between each album. I think of Bon Jovi, Green Day, U2, Metallica, Coldplay, Muse, and others who seem to be quite consistent with their releases. You don't want to disappear for 10 years like Guns did, but you also don't want overexposure. I say screw overexposure though. If you have a great record, release it. GN'R could have released an album every year in their heyday and they would have been fine. In the end it will only strengthen a band's legacy and it's all the more impressive if you can maintain a certain level of quality and deliver quantitiy as well.

Edited by KBear

I'd say U2 have relegated themselves to nostalgia status after their last album bombed. Green Day during defintely aren't relevant anymore and Metallica is due for a new album and they only release every 5 years or so these days ( 5 between Reload and St Anger and another 5 between St Anger and DM)