Does Slash care for record sales?

izzydoezit

I was always wondering that. He has become a pretty commercial figure, but I never thought he cared about sales.

Apocalyptic Love wasn't exactly a big sales hit. Will that be a factor for him on how he will approach his next record plan?

Maybe this will make him back to work with Duff and co?

If I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) he said in a few interviews that sales aren't important, but does he really think that?

He has other stuff going on also besides his albums, like signature pedals and amps, so I don't think money is an issue. But if I were a musician I'd like my albums to sell well, but maybe he's satisfied I don't know. He seemed happy with Apocalyptic Love and he'll record another album with the conspirators, if the next album ressemble the previous one I think it's a good indicator that he actually doesn't care about sales, because AL, as you said, wasn't a big sales hit.

I think in some interview on a website he said that the record company stopped promoting IFOCS after so many sales (I can't remember). But I am not sure if he was pissed about that or not... I mean he does put out enough records and tours enough he shouldn't be in debt.

Record sales indicate to some degree how many people have actually listened to your music.

So by all standards, having 2 million listen you your record is way more important than if 200K get to listen to it.

Well, you're right but, with piracy you never really know how many people have listened to your record. Nevertheless I understand the "official" data are still what count.

You are right about piracy, but you know record companies use illegal download statistics to see how popular an artist is.

And I guess that if a record sells 3 million and say 1/4 pirated versions are downloaded, then a 100K sales record will still have 1/4 of that amount pirated. I wouldn't think that some albums differ drastically in the degree they are pirated. Unless of course they are shit albums that are just fads.

He makes money on them. He said at one time after his first solo all he wanted to do was make enough money to cover the expenses. Although they are not huge sellers he is making money on them. He has his own record company and he does his own PR. He has mostly cut out all the middle people now.The touring is the big money maker and merchandise selling also. Slash's favorite thing is playing his guitar in front of an audience. As long as he can do that he is winning.