Has anyone here ever met Axl??

ace3494

I've never met him, but from everything I read on here it all seems the same...

"Axl is very nice, funny and courteous" and it seems like the few in his inner circle keep a close eye on him. But they all have a vested stake in Axl, so I highly doubt they want some fan to unknowingly go up to him and say something that would set him off...Then Axl would go into recluse mode again.

And just from what HRS said it does seem like he took the whole "fans turned against him" thing pretty hard. I always knew that the whole grunge/nirvana thing did more to him than people wanted to admit, then when slash left it was enough to make Axl say "fuck this"...

Just imagine if some fan talked to Axl like Chris Farley did to Paul Mccartney on that SNL skit...."Hey Axl, remember when you and cobain had that run-in at the vma's in 92?"...."Hey Axl, remember when slash used to be in the band?".

Axl with a few drinks in him...feeling like he is getting cornered....uhoh.

People assume he's too busy to care what the fans think, or that some rumor going around isn't going to get his attention.

Most fans have good intentions, but it's that lack of availability and interaction that actually plays a part in driving some fans into a frenzy. I think trying to distance themselves from their fanbase can work against them, but being too available would also result in them being demanding.

(I don't count sightings as meeting someone, so my answer's no).

Yes i've met Axl several times. The last time i met him was backstage after a show and he was very funny, drinking beer, nice to fans and signing things and telling stories. Recently he has been much happier.

He's really cool in general. Not what you generally expect. I'm very glad he fronts my favourite band.

Slash on the other hand i've met a few times and he was the exact opposite. Very little to say and quite moody. I'm a guitarist and needless to say as i grew up he was my hero. When i met him the last time i felt massively let down.. he was clearly fucked up, on something (years ago) and was acting like a prick making weird noises while i tried to talk to him. Duff sorted him out and told him to cut the shit. I'm not an "axlite" or "slashite" or whatever.. that was just my experience.

I've met Duff several times and he is fantastic. I've met Matt twice. Never met Steven or Izzy. I've met Fortus and chatted to him for ages backstage, quickly met DJ, Spoke to Chris Pitman for ages once, never met bumble. Also met Scott Weiland backstage, he WAS wasted and shouldered me initially.. i didnt even know it was him until my friend said his name and he stopped to chat. Seemed nice enough just fucked up.. very fucked up by the end of the night.

I can also say Fernando, Beta and Vanessa are great people. Well done team Brazil :)

Oh and i've met Del James! Dell is beyond cool and awesome! (fist punch handshake!)

Hope you enjoyed the stories. Some good some not so.

R66

• Like 1

I didn't insult anyone. I just am calling bullshit on HRS's story in general. I strongly believe there's some embellishment and exaggeration going on there.

Interesting that you look the other way at people insulting me, even though I insulted no one. It's okay though, you're the one who accused the mods of deleting a thread they didn't, because as is typically the case, you're just on autopilot.

No you wrongly call bullshit on HRS meeting Axl altogether among other things : "And as far as HRS supposedly meeting him: probably all lies". He did actually meet him and has proof. Get over your angst man, you present the same angst that those who can't get over the break up exhibit. Just because HRS is vocal about his dislike for many things Axl does you automatically assume he is lying but you take Axl's word over the word of anyone else...

First of all, "supposedly" and "probably" aren't exactly strongly worded accusations. I encourage you to look up their meanings. I never said "He didn't meet Axl. He's lying." But that seems to be the way you interpreted it (how convenient). Do you see how there's a difference? Did it ever occur to you that I might've phrased things like that as a cynical/sarcastic point-of-view? *lightbulb moment*

Thanks for the lecture though. "Angst." LOL.

I just think he's exaggerating and embellishing as I said later on in the thread. And I still believe that. He's got no proof whatsoever other than saying "I remember." Quite frankly, given his rabid, obsessive anti-Axl rhetoric around here, I don't trust his memory or his perception. It's interesting that, at the time, he felt compelled to keep the conversation private out of respect for Axl, but now he's had a change of heart and is feeling emboldened to share all the details. I just wish those details had been documented at the time, not 7 years later. That's all. Also, what BBA said.

Carry on.

I met Axl, Baz, Tommy, and Frank after the Baltimore show in November 2006. Baz and Tommy were lit, and not very talkative. Frank was cool. Axl was by far the most friendly, , joked around a lot, and couldn't have been any friendlier. I told him I appreciated the new songs, and he joked about the "downloading MF'ers." I also met Merc that night. He wasn't very talkative; I believe this was several weeks before he and Axl had that big blow-up on the forums.

Alex Anderson met Axl.

Yes, that I have. Multiple times.

That's really cool man. When you were younger I bet you would have totally flipped out at the idea of meeting Axl. Must be weird making that transition from him being a figure you know so much about to being a guy in the same room as you.

I didn't insult anyone. I just am calling bullshit on HRS's story in general. I strongly believe there's some embellishment and exaggeration going on there.

Interesting that you look the other way at people insulting me, even though I insulted no one. It's okay though, you're the one who accused the mods of deleting a thread they didn't, because as is typically the case, you're just on autopilot.

No you wrongly call bullshit on HRS meeting Axl altogether among other things : "And as far as HRS supposedly meeting him: probably all lies". He did actually meet him and has proof. Get over your angst man, you present the same angst that those who can't get over the break up exhibit. Just because HRS is vocal about his dislike for many things Axl does you automatically assume he is lying but you take Axl's word over the word of anyone else...

First of all, "supposedly" and "probably" aren't exactly strongly worded accusations. I encourage you to look up their meanings. I never said "He didn't meet Axl. He's lying." But that seems to be the way you interpreted it (how convenient). Do you see how there's a difference? Did it ever occur to you that I might've phrased things like that as a cynical/sarcastic point-of-view? *lightbulb moment*

Thanks for the lecture though. "Angst." LOL.

I just think he's exaggerating and embellishing as I said later on in the thread. And I still believe that. He's got no proof whatsoever other than saying "I remember." Quite frankly, given his rabid, obsessive anti-Axl rhetoric around here, I don't trust his memory or his perception. It's interesting that, at the time, he felt compelled to keep the conversation private out of respect for Axl, but now he's had a change of heart and is feeling emboldened to share all the details. I just wish those details had been documented at the time, not 7 years later. That's all. Also, what BBA said.

Carry on.

Chances are even if he did document his conversations the very next day, you still would not believe him.

Sorry, it is quite clear you are/were skeptical that HRS even met Axl. You are backtracking. Here is the meaning of "supposedly":

According to what is generally assumed or believed (often used to indicate that the speaker doubts the truth of the statement).

It is you who needs to look up meanings.