President of the UFC Dana White mentions GNR briefly

Schnippy

Dana White was on a show and was asked by the host Chael Sonnen whose got his vote.... the Chili Peppers or GNR.

Being a big Chili Peppers fan/supporter he said that he would go with them, but, if the "REAL" GNR got back together they would be a super powerful band.

Dana's answer was interesting and no doubt just reiterating exactly how the rest of the world feels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u913SS5Vcr0&feature=player_detailpage#t=771s

Interesting perspective from a guy that tends to tell it how it is.

Comment starts at 12:52.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when is this guys opinion the "general vibe" and the feelings of "the rest of the world"?

Yeah, that's not how I feel. I really don't want a reunion because I don't think it'll work out and it's clear both Axl and Slash don't want it. I think it's time we move on from a reunion because it's probably never going to happen. But I would like if Axl and Slash were able to reconcile but I don't think a full scale reunion with he old line-up would work.

Since when is this guys opinion the "general vibe" and the feelings of "the rest of the world"?

Yeah, that's not how I feel. I really don't want a reunion because I don't think it'll work out and it's clear both Axl and Slash don't want it. I think it's time we move on from a reunion because it's probably never going to happen. But I would like if Axl and Slash were able to reconcile but I don't think a full scale reunion with he old line-up would work.

I agree with you. A reunion would absolutely not work out (and would not even happen). But, you cannot deny that this new band is going nowhere fast and generates zero interest*

*Except in South America :tongue2:

Edited by Schnippy

To be honest, I'm not even interested in wasting time even talking to a mod, who has to actively set out to protect this band.

I guess that would be the easy way out of a discussion, but OK. Didn't know Dana meant so much to you.

And on a side note: Moving/deleting posts in the D&N section isn't always about protecting the band. There are sections designed for more "raw" discussions (where a lot of the content is moved to), and other sections provided for older members and other incarnations of the band. Like it or not, the D&N section is mainly about New Gn'R, so I apologize if my supportive question has offended you.

To be honest, I'm not even interested in wasting time even talking to a mod, who has to actively set out to protect this band.

:rolleyes:

"Protect" the band? This is a fan-run forum with no official affiliation with GN'R, and we aren't hired guns here to protect anyone. BS has been openly critical of Axl and the band before. I think most fans have to be critical at this stage with some of the (mis)direction of the group over the years. Before I was ever a moderator here I was openly critical (at times!) of the band's functioning and I think that's part of the reason I was even chosen to help moderate this place, because we do try to appreciate a balance of opinions and viewpoints here. But there's a difference between constructive criticism and trolling. The people that come here with absolutely no interest in the current lineup make it a drag for the people who are still fans to some degree; the people who at least want to see the group succeed even if they're frustrated as hell at times. Would I like GN'R to reunite with the original lineup? I think any fan who says otherwise is deluding themselves; ultimately, I think we'd all like that -- but it's probably not going to happen for a very long time, and I still have an appreciation for the talent of this group. I'm not so much mad that the original band isn't around anymore as much as I get frustrated by the inaction of the new one. But to imply we're 'protecting' the band and to say that BS isn't worth your time is insulting. We're more open and tolerant of other opinions now than in the history of the forum (there never would have been an Attitude section before the takeover, I assure you) so these kinds of comments just sort of rub me the wrong way, to be frank, and I sometimes wonder if that's the intention - to just complain for the sake of complaining. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I guess that would be the easy way out of a discussion, but OK. Didn't know Dana meant so much to you.

And on a side note: Moving/deleting posts in the D&N section isn't always about protecting the band. There are sections designed for more "raw" discussions (where a lot of the content is moved to), and other sections provided for older members and other incarnations of the band. Like it or not, the D&N section is mainly about New Gn'R, so I apologize if my supportive question has offended you.

I'm not biting Black Sabbath, I'd rather discuss it with someone who doesn't have a horse in the race. I thought the comment from Dana was a good opportunity to show people what a lot of people think. The vast majority of people, actually. Again, not including South America.

The whole basis of his comment is New GNR, which is why I put it in this forum. There is no attitude in his comment, or in my initial post. It is a comment about new GNR, which is why I posted it in the D/N section.

Cheers.

I'm not biting Black Sabbath, I'd rather discuss it with someone who doesn't have a horse in the race.

If you don't have a "horse in the race," why are you even here? Honest question.

I appreciate the flipside: that perhaps you were a fan of the old lineup, hate the new band and want a place to discuss it and vent. Okay, but after two decades it's sort of been-there, done-that. And while you're still more than welcome to talk about it (in the reunion section and/or Attitude for more 'heated' stuff), can you understand why these sorts of topics and the responses they elicit might offend those who do still 'have a horse in this race'? Again, to clarify -- I'm not saying this is an inherently bad topic, but I don't really get where you're coming from, and just because someone is a moderator doesn't mean they are protecting the band or are going to be ignorant to your views. In fact, if you're just coming here to preach to the choir, what's the fun in that? As I said before, Black Sabbath is really not wearing any rose-tinted glasses or whatever the phrase is. Pretty sure he can handle the real talk.

The whole basis of his comment is New GNR, which is why I put it in this forum. There is no attitude in his comment, or in my initial post. It is a comment about new GNR, which is why I posted it in the D/N section.

That's fine, but these kinds of topics generally elicit 'passionate' responses from fans, so it's a matter of time til we have the all-out war of words between some of our more impassioned users. And then it becomes a question of moving the topic or removing the posts where people start flinging insults (stuff that used to be completely against the forum's rules, but we now tolerate to a degree) every direction. If it's the latter, it's supposedly censorship; the former, it's 'protecting the band.' It's kind of a damned-both-ways sort of scenario, so we just try to do the best we can. I assure you there's no censorship, agenda or bias from our side with any of this.

And again, I do believe any fans here saying they have no interest in the original lineup reforming are ultimately deluding themselves to some degree. But it's played-out.

New GNR doesn't even deserve its own section anymore. This forum would be a thousand times better if we could all respectfully discuss all eras of the band in one section.

Heel Randy is terrible.

I'm not biting Black Sabbath, I'd rather discuss it with someone who doesn't have a horse in the race. I thought the comment from Dana was a good opportunity to show people what a lot of people think. The vast majority of people, actually. Again, not including South America.

Cheers.

Not sure what that exactly means, but alright.

Again, just wondering how this guy's comment translates into being a vast majority opinion. Of the people I've talked to about Gn'R, a lot of them haven't given Chinese Democracy a good listen, or heard any of it for that matter. That makes their opinion void, in my opinion. I'm not saying a ton of people don't feel the same way, they obviously do. What I'm saying is that though a lot of people might have that opinion, another lot of those people haven't even given the new band a chance.

I didn't move your thread, nor did I plan on it, so I don't know what you're getting at. I was just clearing things up,

New GNR doesn't even deserve its own section anymore. This forum would be a thousand times better if we could all respectfully discuss all eras of the band in one section.

Heel Randy is terrible.

I'm not trying to be a heel. I'm just not going to come on here though and pretend that I think it is awesome that Axl is content to tour his days away without releasing CD II.

Edited by Randy Lahey