Axl's voice mysteries...from mickey to power rasp in 8 days!?

trqster

Really all Axl needs to do is

1) shorter sets. Cut the covers out and save his voice a little.

2) not run around for 3 hours on stage like an 18 year old mad man. Pace yourself a little and focus on vocals.

3) get healthy and get inspired. Do the master cleanse or go on a juice diet and detox. Watch Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. It's amazing and will have him feeling like he's 18.

Edited by tr420

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, he did sound sick at the Chicago gig. A couple days earlier at The Ritz he was pretty good.

I still say he knows he can't give rasp all the time without deteriorating his voice quickly in the long run. Look at Brian Johnson and Lemmy - arguably the 2 raspiest voices in rock and they both sound like utter shit nowadays. On the other hand, look at some vocalists with a cleaner style like Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio, Joey Belladonna - they've all maintained a consistently good voice, and their music has all the same requirements of GN'R, just no rasp.

My best guess would be he's in the process of going for a cleaner voice, and he just isn't 100% accustomed to singing totally clean any more. And I'd say the nights he's having a good time and he's really into he throws some rasp in. The reason I say this is because even when the rasp isn't there, the pitch is still usually pretty good.

If people want to slag off Axl for his weight, that's one thing. But the weight isn't a factor in his voice. Drives me crazy when I see people say the voice is a result of the weight.

In a nutshell - a clean voice is easier to maintain longevity and is less detrimental to the vocal cords than a raspy voice. It's not hard to believe either - he started using the clean voice after a long break between tours. But it's also not fair to say a long break between tours causes the loss of rasp since he had it right from the get-go in 2009, which was after a 2 and a half year gap, as opposed to 10 months in 2011.

I'll have to disagree on Brian Johnson... He doesn't sound like shit at all. The man is over 60 years old and still rocks like a motherfucker!

My personal theory is that Axl suffers from some sort of chronic respiratory system disease that affects badly his voice most of the time, hence little power and almost no rasp at most shows. Only something health related imo could affect so severely and fast Axl's voice.

I recently realized this is the case:( He has been infected with fairly common medical condition of " Getting older" I checked Wikipedia and apparently there is no cure for this. Once getting older has been ravaging your body long enough, you fuckign die. I was very sad to hear Axl has this.

I think everyone needs to lay off the whole "london 2010" thing. I feel the london and philly voices are pretty much the same, but london is much more echo because the size of the arena, that somehow gives Axl a 'raspier' voice on youtube vids, compared to a small concert hall in philly.

My personal theory is that Axl suffers from some sort of chronic respiratory system disease that affects badly his voice most of the time, hence little power and almost no rasp at most shows. Only something health related imo could affect so severely and fast Axl's voice.

I recently realized this is the case:( He has been infected with fairly common medical condition of " Getting older" I checked Wikipedia and apparently there is no cure for this. Once getting older has been ravaging your body long enough, you fuckign die. I was very sad to hear Axl has this.

BULLSHIT! WRONG SECTION. cupcake! Im so tired of Slash fans coming on here with lies and starting shit. Axl doesn't have old. Where's your source?

Anyone having doubts about Axl's voice should check out these two versions of Shacklers revenge. Both from the same venue, 2 years apart. I chose this song because this is the song that truly made me go "WOW" at axl, both times.

London 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hjclke6ztM

London 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVY6gDFPco

He is identical in his performance, if not even the 2012 performances edging the better. Particularly the chorus. He does seem more energetic in 2010, but vocally, there is not a great difference.

Edited by Axl_morris

@Axl_morris

I'm sorry man, sure the '12 performance was quite good, but the '10 kills it - it's way more energetic and Axl's voice is always (as usual that year) with a killer rasp, especially at the beginning of the song.

It happens the same when you compare '10 songs to the Philly show in '12....it's still good but not as powerful or so full of rasp as before.

Anyone having doubts about Axl's voice should check out these two versions of Shacklers revenge. Both from the same venue, 2 years apart. I chose this song because this is the song that truly made me go "WOW" at axl, both times.

London 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hjclke6ztM

London 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVY6gDFPco

He is identical in his performance, if not even the 2012 performances edging the better. Particularly the chorus. He does seem more energetic in 2010, but vocally, there is not a great difference.

How can u say he is identical here? the 2010 gig he nails the song and sound like Axl! In the 2012 video I personaly think he sounds more like Vince neil (forgive me for saying this..)....

He was actually sick around the time of the Chicago gig, I remember him posting it on Twitter after one of the shows around then, but his voice was already getting before Philly at the Atlantic City gig:

EDIT: Here are the tweets:

https://twitter.com/...036569274916864

https://twitter.com/...229322898288640

Wow...if you go back and compare the Nightrains from the old era to this one (and most that I've seen), he sings the verses/chorus (especially at the end) and all the "lower" sections in, what sounds like to my ears, a different range. It sounds to me as if he is singing in a raspy type of weird falsetto in this video compared to, say, the AFD recording, Ritz 88 or Tokyo 92. Idk, maybe I'm crazy. His ranges have definitely changed to me though. Not necessarily worsened, but now he just has to hit notes and phrases in different "spots" in his vocal chamber (diaphragm vs head/chest vs falsetto)

I think everyone needs to lay off the whole "london 2010" thing. I feel the london and philly voices are pretty much the same, but london is much more echo because the size of the arena, that somehow gives Axl a 'raspier' voice on youtube vids, compared to a small concert hall in philly.

For fucks sake, let's stop making things up. Changes in auditory variables like echo or reverb do not magically give someone a raspier voice, nor does it drastically alter the tone of someone's voice. Echo is simply an auditory reflection that reaches listeners following the direct sound. It plays no part in the auditory character of the sound being made.

Check out the smaller gigs the band did in 2010, like L'Arc in Paris or Rose Bar in NYC. There is a huge difference in Axl's power and rasp between 2010 and 2012. It's not as noticeable when you're at the venue since Axl's vocals are amplified to hell, but it's obvious when comparing videos from various performances.

Edited by downzy

Feeling kinda sad listening to the greatness of his voice back then. As I feel like he doesn't care about his career that much these days and not giving his full when performing.

Axl, your fans love you, that's why they criticize your voice right and left, so that you'll jolt and improve. Sadly your management's hiding all the criticism away from you in hope of not making you upset, which is actually detrimental to your career.

Feeling kinda sad listening to the greatness of his voice back then. As I feel like he doesn't care about his career that much these days and not giving his full when performing.

Axl, your fans love you, that's why they criticize your voice right and left, so that you'll jolt and improve. Sadly your management's hiding all the criticism away from you in hope of not making you upset, which is actually detrimental to your career.

which is actually detrimental to your career.

You know what else is? Touring almost endlessly for 2 1/2 to three hours for 6 years and being 50+ years old. My God, what the fuck do you people want form a 50 year old? Why is it so hard to believe, Axl is aging, and so easy to criticize?

2010 best voice since comback.End of argument.

I agree as a year in a whole balance, although late 2006 (see LA show) and early 2007 (see Japan shows) were at least as good for Axl's voice if not even better...

That being said 2010 having been a great year for Axl's voice is not at all what's in discussion here.

What's the point of discussion about Axl's voice, is how come he could do a whole show in early '12 (Philly show) at a whole different (for the better) level after starting the year with weak voice and even more odd that, after that particular show (Philly) never ever really recovered to that kind of voice shape...

Adding another wild card to the discussion...Axl during the '12 Hellfest show had overall very weak vocals (SCOM was just cringe worthy) but still could pullout a mighty good Paradise City with plenty of rasp!

This....same show...

SCOM (the worst of the year?)

PC (the best of the year?)