Was Buckethead marginalized by his GN'R 'bandmates' to the point of leaving?

Guest NGOG

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never a fan of Buckethead in GNR. Yes he is a very unique player and I have some time and appreciation for his work but the bloke wears a KFC bucket on his head and rocks around wearing a mask doing the robot. He's a grade A wack-job that made Axl's vision of GNR look like a joke. I maintain if at the VMA's he'd come out with the current line up people would have been more forgiving.

That version of the band was comprised of a few (talented) bizzare looking misfits that did nothing to further the GNR legacy.

Would you sit around your wife with a kfc bucket on your head and a mask on you?

Can you imagine yourself inside a chicken coop in your own bedroom in front of your wife for example?

Bucket is Brian Carroll when with his family. Edited by NGOG

I was never a fan of Buckethead in GNR. Yes he is a very unique player and I have some time and appreciation for his work but the bloke wears a KFC bucket on his head and rocks around wearing a mask doing the robot. He's a grade A wack-job that made Axl's vision of GNR look like a joke. I maintain if at the VMA's he'd come out with the current line up people would have been more forgiving.

That version of the band was comprised of a few (talented) bizzare looking misfits that did nothing to further the GNR legacy.

Spot-fuckin'-on.

Fuck the legacy. With that group of robot-dancing misfits we got a better album than we'll ever get with DJ and the yes-men, so whatever.

His work on that song (and basically everything but Shackler's) is a solo that he added on after the song was already done. Session musician. I'm not taking anything away from him, I think he's a great guitarist and I'd love nothing more than for him to come back, but the fact is he had very little to do with the composition of the songs, and his work with the band can likely be summed up in a few studio sessions laying down guitar solos.

The session musician point is a semantic. Can you deny that Buckethead enhanced the project in every way? Shackers is probably the best rocker on there easy.

'his work with the band can likely be summed up in a few studio sessions laying down guitar solos.'

I assume therefore you must have had an opportunity to listen to wealth of other songs from those sessions?

Guest Gunns

bucket was the best thing to happen newgnr,

he pushed Axl creatively and as a result, Axl now has a wealth of 'big guns' in his vault, and some of them appear on CD.

I can see Ron potentially pushing Axl creatively, but not in the same vain as Bucket.

Fuck the legacy. With that group of robot-dancing misfits we got a better album than we'll ever get with DJ and the yes-men, so whatever.

Not convinced. I'm reserving judgement 'til they deliver an album.

I assume therefore you must have had an opportunity to listen to wealth of other songs from those sessions?

Stuff that for all we know doesn't exist. Hardly any substance to form an argument over.

I don't assume a wealth of material exists. I know because Axl/Tommy/Ron/Bach/Chris/Dizzy/Richard/Brain/Dj/Brian May/Merck/Tom Zutaut/Kerrang/Classic Rock/Skwerl/MSL/to name but a few have all confirmed this as a matter of fact. It's the only thing the band have an overriding consensus on.

You can't dismiss Bucket's time in GN'R because you have only heard a fraction of his contributions (a mere 2 songs from the 2004 record were rotated onto the first release).

Guest bellastar2355

Buckethead might be odd looking but no fucking way would things have been any different if Axl showed up with the the current line up at the VMAS. Everyone was clowning Axl, not the line up. Wearing those braids and not sounding so great.

Bucket has more talent in his scrotum than Tommy does in his whole body. Bucket even outplays Tommy on bass!

I think we all know, anyone could have filled Tommy's shoes in the current GN'R role. While not being very GN'R, Buckethead and Robin Finck are the best things about Chinese Democracy.

From personal experience Tommy is a wanker of a person (a real rabid drunk) but I actually really like his solo records so couldn't question his musicanship.

Edited by NGOG