Was Chinese Democracy an album that Axl used to reflect upon and explore his own feelings of isolation, misery and madness?

Randy Lahey

They could have just nuked Vietnam with 8 videos from CD but they dragged it out using conventional weapons and ground forces. There were many casualties of W.A.R.

And after all these years they still haven't been able to locate Dan Druff's bike.

Maybe thats whats holding up CD II?

Axl Rose's Big Adventure. We won't be getting Big Top Axl until he finds that bike.
Evel Knievel sounds like a working title for a GNR song.

This is def an album that reveals more each time you listen. Played it again lately and really felt the emotion in Axl's voice. The way he phrases and colours the words to add expression just make it uniquely him and the music is so epic and expressive esp There was a time and This I love. I've started to appreciate the album even more. Axl is such a unique talent. I hope he makes more music but it doesn't look like anytime for whatever reason!

I think the songs take you on a journey. Not as they are on the album. But kind of in the leak order. With maybe TIL up first to set the tone.

Chi dem, Madagascas are getting back on his feet.

Better, SoD, Twat saying goodbye.

Then firing on all cylinders again, Shacklers, ITW, Scraped, Sorry.

With Prostitue as the final kiss off.

The lyrics of Chinese Democracy portray an unaccountable and immature narcissist. We are lead into the point of view of a man who is too wrapped up in his own self-sensitivity to realise that the events which took place at the time were consequences of his actions. Instead of looking inward and thinking about his actions that caused much hurt and grief to his bandmates and his girlfriends, he threw all responsibility out the window and handled the matter like a hysterical child by blaming everybody else but himself.

Edited by Screamin' Demon

was he supposed to write a public apology for all the things you don't like about him? he's just describing his feelings. it's not even necessarily about the breakup.

BTW that's exactly what the other members did too. did any one of them ever said that they could have handled the situation better?

get over the break up already. :rolleyes:

Axl being a narcissist is kind of a given, if you are writing songs about your feelings it's kind of hard to avoid. I don't see any difference from CD lyrics to AFD or UYI. Don't Damn Me was on UYI. Drinking and doing is drugs is pretty narcissistic. Being a rock star is pretty attention seeking.

was he supposed to write a public apology for all the things you don't like about him? he's just describing his feelings. it's not even necessarily about the breakup.

BTW that's exactly what the other members did too. did any one of them ever said that they could have handled the situation better?

What he should have done was make a distinction between Guns N' Roses and his own solo work. He didn't. He intimately connected those two and was adamant to make the rest of the guys play what he wanted just because he wanted it, without considering the majority rule. When Guns N' Roses broke up he should have left the name alone, recognising that four other guys besides himself started from nothing and made that name into something. It was a collective effort and having continued that name without any of them was not only ethically immoral but immature, selfish and spiteful.

Axl being a narcissist is kind of a given, if you are writing songs about your feelings it's kind of hard to avoid. I don't see any difference from CD lyrics to AFD or UYI. Don't Damn Me was on UYI. Drinking and doing is drugs is pretty narcissistic. Being a rock star is pretty attention seeking.

Just because someone is writing lyrics about their feelings or their perception of events doesn't mean that that is how things happened. Axl's lyrics on Chinese Democracy are conceptually pathetic because they claim that he's been hard done by everybody, when numerous matching recounts from other relevant people show that his dictatorship over the band caused the break up and that his volatile attitude towards his former girlfriends cut him short of the opportunity to become a married man and a father. It is not other people who are responsible for Axl's failure to achieve his long term goals, it is Axl himself.

What he should have done was make a distinction between Guns N' Roses and his own solo work. He didn't. He intimately connected those two and was adamant to make the rest of the guys play what he wanted just because he wanted it, without considering the majority rule. When Guns N' Roses broke up he should have left the name alone, recognising that four other guys besides himself started from nothing and made that name into something. It was a collective effort and having continued that name without any of them was not only ethically immoral but immature, selfish and spiteful.

Just because someone is writing lyrics about their feelings or their perception of events doesn't mean that that is how things happened. Axl's lyrics on Chinese Democracy are conceptually pathetic because they claim that he's been hard done by everybody, when numerous matching recounts from other relevant people show that his dictatorship over the band caused the break up and that his volatile attitude towards his former girlfriends cut him short of the opportunity to become a married man and a father. It is not other people who are responsible for Axl's failure to achieve his long term goals, it is Axl himself.

The only songs like that are Better and Madagascar. I mean you have matching accounts from people saying how Slash wanted to do Snakepit as it was. Even Duff didn't agree. So it's not that cut and dry. Just because you have a volatile relationship doesn't mean you don't have feelings. Of course things done in the heat of the moment you regret, but do you give up on songwriting because of that? We don't know how much of this is blown out of proportion. I think that's how I read This I Love, there's even a line about the confessions of a crime, it doesn't change the passion in his heart. He fucked up but he still loves her?

The only songs like that are Better and Madagascar. I mean you have matching accounts from people saying how Slash wanted to do Snakepit as it was. Even Duff didn't agree. So it's not that cut and dry. Just because you have a volatile relationship doesn't mean you don't have feelings. Of course things done in the heat of the moment you regret, but do you give up on songwriting because of that? We don't know how much of this is blown out of proportion. I think that's how I read This I Love, there's even a line about the confessions of a crime, it doesn't change the passion in his heart. He fucked up but he still loves her?

Everyone has feelings but Axl has put forward countless times his line of thought that his feelings have more importance and value than those of others. I've never seen anything to suggest that he's shown remorse towards the things he's done. Whether that be the women he's behaved abusively towards, or the band members he pushed away and then spitefully taken away their place as Guns N' Roses by continuing the name when they had no other choice than to walk away. The Chinese Democracy lyrics clearly outline his self-importance and lack of consideration towards other people, as do his actions to his fans in the last 13 years. The score is always the same: he acts in the way of a hysterical child who knows no better than to blame others when their refusal to put up with his irrational behaviour leaves him on his own to face the consequences of his actions.

Chinese democray is all about Axl rose life.But as Axl said one time,its time to move on Axl!

who bet that the next álbum ( if theres one) will be filled of that kind of lyrics.The war is in Axl mind,not in Slash,Duff and co.He is the only one who can not face the others in the same room.

Remember the story of slash going to Axl mansión? Beta said that he wasnt in the house,but i can imagine him listening with his ear in the door waiting for Slash to go.

Chinese democray is all about Axl rose life.But as Axl said one time,its time to move on Axl!

who bet that the next álbum ( if theres one) will be filled of that kind of lyrics.The war is in Axl mind,not in Slash,Duff and co.He is the only one who can not face the others in the same room.

Remember the story of slash going to Axl mansión? Beta said that he wasnt in the house,but i can imagine him listening with his ear in the door waiting for Slash to go.

Yes... Even though Slash was Drunk Beta single-highhandedly ruined probably the only chance of reconciliation that there will ever be. I was so upset when I heard the story because I know that if Slash had gotten the chance to sit down with Axl one on one that night, there was a slim chance that Axl and Slash might have made up. Damn You Team Brazil.

Everyone has feelings but Axl has put forward countless times his line of thought that his feelings have more importance and value than those of others. I've never seen anything to suggest that he's shown remorse towards the things he's done. Whether that be the women he's behaved abusively towards, or the band members he pushed away and then spitefully taken away their place as Guns N' Roses by continuing the name when they had no other choice than to walk away. The Chinese Democracy lyrics clearly outline his self-importance and lack of consideration towards other people, as do his actions to his fans in the last 13 years. The score is always the same: he acts in the way of a hysterical child who knows no better than to blame others when their refusal to put up with his irrational behaviour leaves him on his own to face the consequences of his actions.
They had a choice. They all went through bad stuff.

I think youre confusing Axl being the singer and lyricist making this big overblown break up record with his feelings being really more important. The events are just everyday stuff, but the style its presented in of like big Queen romantic kind of record.

I think the guys made a bit of a big deal of Axl doing his Nov Rain and Estranged stuff. But for a band that got big with SCOM, and then having hits with Dont Cry and Nov Rain, its a part of it. Theyd have to compromise or work with Axl.

I can kind of see how his persona or problems could overwhelm a record, those guys are rockers.

I do think Axl lost a lot in a few years. Sometimes it looks like it was kind of planned so that he could make this huge record about it. I guess everything he built his life on wasnt very stable. Like the hottest supermodel, being in a huge band, its a bit of fantasy.

He might not be that bothered but its great material for rock lyrics and the feuds are very Lennon/mcartney. Elements of brian wilson/joe Perry Tyler.

Then youve got the internet. Its like when Dylan went electric but this time with a bunch typing monkeys following it day by day.

Whats funny as much negativity as Axl gets and hes meant to take the blame for it all he just seems bigger and CD made history.

From the street urchin living under the streets of LA, to the peak of success of the November Rain video through the epic struggle and final release of Chinese Democracy, ladies and gentleman, straight off the flight line.. the infamous.. Mr. W. Axl Rose.

Edited by wasted

They had a choice. They all went through bad stuff.

I think youre confusing Axl being the singer and lyricist making this big overblown break up record with his feelings being really more important. The events are just everyday stuff, but the style its presented in of like big Queen romantic kind of record.

I think the guys made a bit of a big deal of Axl doing his Nov Rain and Estranged stuff. But for a band that got big with SCOM, and then having hits with Dont Cry and Nov Rain, its a part of it. Theyd have to compromise or work with Axl.

I can kind of see how his persona or problems could overwhelm a record, those guys are rockers.

I do think Axl lost a lot in a few years. Sometimes it looks like it was kind of planned so that he could make this huge record about it. I guess everything he built his life on wasnt very stable. Like the hottest supermodel, being in a huge band, its a bit of fantasy.

He might not be that bothered but its great material for rock lyrics and the feuds are very Lennon/mcartney. Elements of brian wilson/joe Perry Tyler.

Then youve got the internet. Its like when Dylan went electric but this time with a bunch typing monkeys following it day by day.

Whats funny as much negativity as Axl gets and hes meant to take the blame for it all he just seems bigger and CD made history.

From the street urchin living under the streets of LA, to the peak of success of the November Rain video through the epic struggle and final release of Chinese Democracy, ladies and gentleman, straight off the flight line.. the infamous.. Mr. W. Axl Rose.

I guess I simply wanted to express that Axl's lyrics point the finger too much at everyone else and it is a shame that he can't simply accept his wrong doings and take responsibility for them. There were mistakes on everybody's side but ultimately he's always been the one to cross the line in the heat of the moment. Guns N' Roses didn't primarily break up due to incompatibility of music direction between Axl & the Slash, Duff & Matt trio, but moreover Axl's indecisiveness, lack of progress and needlessly spending endless amounts of time tinkering with the music and any other habits which made him a disagreeable character to work with. He doesn't realise that to this day and has at every opportunity laid the blame onto the shoulders of anyone who has chosen to distance themselves and no longer work with him due to the reasons given. It becomes repulsive to constantly find in his statements and lyrics this lack of accountability for his actions and blaming everybody else for the consequences he's had to face for them. Chinese Democracy lyrics are simply the ultimate exhibition of this unaccountability.

I dont see that unacvountability in the record in regards to the band because only one song seems to be about the band in terms of whos to blame.

But I dont think its provable that its all Axls fault. Theres definitely evidence to support that. I dont all the songs are about the blame.

Also, like I might have said before, there's a difference between what someone thinks, what is true and what becomes a record. I think maybe Axl's weren't, or even aren't, as clearly formulated as they presented on CD. It could have become the statement he was willing to make. This record seemed to be necessary to justify or explain what he has been through. As he sees it. Like people say the record is so bitter and angry or something, but then you hear Axl's quotes about ex-members it's more bored, off hand comments. And then taking into account how you can write lyrics, something motivates you to do, you write it in the moment, you capture the moment, then look back at it. Is it what you actually think, or just a part of your creative process. But these lyrics, these group of songs, Axl cast as the outside, or hard done by, was that his best move under the circumstances. Or would it be better to ignore it and rap album about how rich he is. To me the money is in this OTT romantic break up album, the fall and rise of Axl Rose. Given all the problems he had making it, getting it out, it's maybe the only thing that makes sense. I mean if you hire Finck and bucket are you looking to make a carefree rock n roll album or something a bit darker.