Films almost directed by other people

Roman Polanski and Martin Scorsese were in line to direct Schindler's List. Polanski declined because he was not ready to do a Holocaust film since he himself suffered through it and lost family and Scorsese felt being an Italian American Catholic would take away its authenticity. Spielberg ultimately got the chair. Can't imagine how the film would have been different under either director.

Sergio Leone was offered to direct The Godfather. He declined because he as developing an adaptation of The Hoods by Harry Grey to what was to become his magnum opus, Once Upon a Time in America. Can never imagine The Godfather without Coppola. The film was every bit as good as it was because of Coppola.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

Tim Burton was suppose to direct Superman Lives in the late 90's with Kevin Smith writing the script. Nic Cage was hired as Superman. The project never really took off. I like Nic Cage, but thank God the movie didn't make it! I don't think Cage would of played a good Superman. I would of liked to see what Burton and Smith could of done.