Hardest part of everything

Route66

On the outside looking in, having been through my own band and relationship break ups, the addictions that go hand in hand with that.

Has the hardest part of the original GNR breakup been watching that gang of five close friends who took it to the limit (and survive) fall out so publicly? When if it had happened in private, without the industry or the media influencing things it may have turned out so much different. Have you felt helpless watching this happen? Have the guys felt helpless themselves at times whilst being swept along by expectation, hope, betrayal and to a certain extent fans frustration?

Peace

R66

I didn't think the split would last long but I was wrong. I also thought if it did, it would last until they each put out a record or 2. Remember they split in Aug of 1984 and were back together by May 1985. Now too much time has gone by for it to matter. They are on there own doing what they do but with different people.

I didn't think the split would last long but I was wrong. I also thought if it did, it would last until they each put out a record or 2. Remember they split in Aug of 1984 and were back together by May 1985. Now too much time has gone by for it to matter. They are on there own doing what they do but with different people.

Agree with "Now too much time has gone by for it to matter." Other than us die hard fans of the real GnR would anyone really care if they reunited? Sad but true I guess.

Agree with "Now too much time has gone by for it to matter." Other than us die hard fans of the real GnR would anyone really care if they reunited? Sad but true I guess.

Marc can see that from the point of view of being an Aerosmith fan during the Dufay/Crespo era, did it make a difference that Joe wasn't the guitarist? They still played big places but the feel of the band changes when you have integral members no longer a part of it.

You can feel and hear the difference when integral members return to the fold.

I know GNR still perform and when Duff, Slash, and Steven were on stage together, they locked into the song and it felt familiar. Not sure if it makes sense, but when I saw Janes Addiction with Eric on bass a few years ago, I could def. feel and hear the difference with him back in the band.

I do think a lot of people would care if they got up on stage and played, even if Axl's done those songs a thousand times, it will never feel the same if Steven and Slash in particular aren't on those songs. I guarantee if Frank, DJ and Bumblefoot walked off, and Steven & Slash walked on and you were blindfolded, you would know without question it was them.

Even if the performance was below expectations. Could you imagine the buzz? If they did the grammy's or the American Music awards the buzz would be intense... it would be big news for days afterword. GN'R is really not the band that time forgot. It's the Band that time misses.

I guarantee if Frank, DJ and Bumblefoot walked off, and Steven & Slash walked on and you were blindfolded, you would know without question it was them.

Thats a really interesting way of thinking about it. I wish we could have a test like that, just to see what the results would be like. Unfortunately, recording equipment and Axl's voice would be dead giveaways of what era it would be. I totally agree with you that you'd absolutely know the difference, I just wonder how many would actually be correct.

GN'R is really not the band that time forgot. It's the Band that time misses.

I agree with that. They aren't like Aerosmith IMO, but people would certainly know who they were if they reunited.

The problem is people come to to shows because of the music. So the people that wrote and preformed that music will always be their first choice. When that option is no longer there then you go for the next best thing which is your only choice. I saw Aerosmith in 1982/1983 and was just happy to see what was left of the band. If and when the new band puts out new music, things will start to even out a bit

• Like 1

Thanks Marc :)

Really appreciate your time.

So essentially are you saying that as they were not so big/influenced from outside during the first break up, perhaps also having more support.. That things were amplified somewhat by the factors I mentioned second time around? Had these factors not been there would that mean we may still have had the original guns?

I probably would know of it was original GNR,if we are talking about them playing what songs there are now by either line up. But if we are talking about both line ups creating new music and guessing that way I stand a chance of about 10 to 15% of being wrong on guessing the original,maybe.

I pretty fond,close,tied into,emotionally attached whatever ya want to call it,to Slash's style. And without a doubt I would get Duff right,there's some kind of funky/twangy sound to him. Lol it's hard to describe. Kinda reminds me of Tom Hamilton/Aerosmith.

And that would be going by if Axl would have them play their style and not try to have them change it around.

Edited by SweetRose