Is some music better on headphones, some through speakers?

wasted

Guest Len B'stard

OK well the entire genre of house music? Its designed to be expierienced in a certain envoirnment, the closest replication of which, in terms of personal listening, is through speakers. Hip Hop as a genre until recent years, dub reggae in general is a genre of which the foundation is drum and bass with little echoey reverbing overdubs, without speakers it just sounds like a bunch of reverb and echo-chamber mess.

Guest Len B'stard

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukay chief ;)

If you had any objective basis with which to base your stupid embarrassing claim you would have by now, so yeah stop talking shit again. ;)

I did, i gave reasons, explained myself, cited specifics and your response was just 'bullshit, not true' without even approaching addressing any specifics so where exactly am i supposed to go with that? Which is why i just said 'ok' and left it. Other than that i can't fathom what further discourse you're looking for.

I mean what else are you looking for, bearing in mind your complete lack of participation in terms of engaging in any kind of discussion, just pointless insults for some odd reason. What would you like, perhaps insults in return, a little internet barney to help you through the morning? Well sorry but im not in the mood, thank you :)

Pointing out that you are incorrect is not necessarily an insult. So there goes the poor unfairly-hard-done-by card.... one of your wel

If you had any objective basis with which to base your stupid embarrassing claim you would have by now, so yeah stop talking shit again. ;)

I did, i gave reasons, explained myself, cited specifics and your response was just 'bullshit, not true' without even approaching addressing any specifics so where exactly am i supposed to go with that? Which is why i just said 'ok' and left it. Other than that i can't fathom what further discourse you're looking for.

I mean what else are you looking for, bearing in mind your complete lack of participation in terms of engaging in any kind of discussion, just pointless insults for some odd reason. What would you like, perhaps insults in return, a little internet barney to help you through the morning? Well sorry but im not in the mood, thank you :)

If you make a claim, back it up properly. Simple.

Unfortunately for you, more than mere opinion is required to make a credible claim. There is no personal insult implied in my pointing out that your claim is incorrect. it just points out that it is. Now if you disagree and thus it rubs you the wrong way what have you got to dispute my challenge and put me in my place? Nothing, that's what.

Guest Len B'stard

Pointing out that you are incorrect is not necessarily an insult. So there goes the poor unfairly-hard-done-by card.... one of your wel

If you make a claim, back it up properly. Simple.

Unfortunately for you, more than mere opinion is required to make a credible claim. There is no personal insult implied in my pointing out that your claim is incorrect. it just points out that it is. Now if you disagree and thus it rubs you the wrong way what have you got to dispute my challenge and put me in my place? Nothing, that's what.

How much more in your place can i put you than giving reasons for my assertion which you are incapable of addressing other than to just stonewall em? I mean you could effectively come out of every discussion like that, just go 'no, bullshit', something i suspect you do because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I made a claim, i backed it up, there are certain genres that you simply cannot listen to accurately through headphones, certain music is designed for a certain context and outside of that context you do not reach its full power. Case in point, Dancehall Reggae, listen to it on earphones, you simply cannot hear the bass properly. Or dub reggae, any instrumentation to it outside of the drum and bass is purely minimal and without properly hearing the drum and bass it's impossible to appreciate properly. Why? Because it is bass heavy, it is recorded with the bass way up and earphones simply cannot handle that. I'm just repeating myself here to which you can just go 'no, bullshit' again.

As far as no personal insult, stupid and embarassing? And you're not just pointing out my claim is incorrect, you are doing it without saying how or why or where, how I dispute something when there's nothing specific to dispute, you're just going 'no, thats not true'. How can i dispute that when there's no specifics to it? I mean if you say this bit isn't true because....then i've got something specific to address otherwise what are you asking of me, that i just re-post my first post? :lol: For you to just 'no, thats not true' again. Do you understand how discussions work, it involves two people addressing each others assertions with a view to creating a dialogue, what you are doing is just chatting shit and acting all snotty and superior without apparently having a point to make.

If anythings rubbed anyone up the wrong way, it's you, you're the one resorting to insults, I just addressed your post with specifics points as is customary in a discussion forum, now if you've got some sort of problem, either with me, or my opinions or the fact that your Mum died last week or your birds left you or something else that this weird vague pointlessly argumentative episode is about i'll be glad to put my arm around you and hear you out, other than that i'm not exactly sure what it is you want from me :lol: It appears you've just come on this forum this morning in a very uptight and combative mood and decided to behave like a four year old with me.

Now like I said, if you'd like a discussion, points where made previously, you are welcome to discuss them and i'll oblige you...but if all this is basically the Samaritans are engaged then I'm sorry but I can't help you...at least not without specifics, something you are reticent to provide in the framework of a musical discussion so I don't fancy my chances as your therapist :lol:

• Like 1

A sure sign of defensiveness and insecurity on one's own position is when someone takes 150 words to say something.

instead of cutting right through the bull shit...

It might be a surprise to you but there are sound systems where if you closed your eyes you would think a real band was in front of you, the drum sounds give you the sensation of moving air, etc. Virtually anything in the human hearing range of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz can be replicated sonically.

There are differences between speakers, headphones and cans in tonal accuray, clarity, timbre, staging and imaging, dynamics and linearity . So a comment like

On headphones you listen, on speakers you feel it.

is just dumb generalization, not to mention incorrect.

But you can't even begin to back it up in objective terms can you? No, you can't.

why? Because you talked shit and happened to be called up on it.

Most dance and mainly Hardstyle is for speakers, otherwise it drives me nuts.

Most songs I prefer headphone, in my case I can feel the music better actually. I feel more connected to the voice.

But my soundsystem isn't really good.

Think it all depends on what quality headphones or soundsystem you have.

Guest Len B'stard

A sure sign of defensiveness and insecurity on one's own position is when someone takes 150 words to say something.

instead of cutting right through the bull shit...

Either that or a sign of disbelief and confusion towards someone demanding discourse yet refusing to engage.

It might be a surprise to you but there are sound systems where if you closed your eyes you would think a real band was in front of you, the drum sounds give you the sensation of moving air, etc. Virtually anything in the human hearing range of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz can be replicated sonically.

Which is to say what?

There are differences between speakers, headphones and cans in tonal accuray, clarity, timbre, staging and imaging, dynamics and linearity . So a comment like....is just dumb generalization, not to mention incorrect.

Explain, how so?

But you can't even begin to back it up in objective terms can you? No, you can't.

why? Because you talked shit and happened to be called up on it.

Until such time as you actually go some way towards clearly disputing it i don't really have to, do i?

look mate it's not my job to educate you. And you can give up trying to further engage me in some sort of ongoing debate about your inane comment because you already lost and i have better things to do quite frankly.

"on headphones you listen, on speakers you feel it" ... :rofl-lol: Well which headphones and which speakers are you talking about for starters...

Guest Len B'stard

look mate it's not my job to educate you.

Translation = i don't know what i'm talking about :lol:

And you can give up trying to further engage me in some sort of ongoing debate about your inane comment because you already lost and i have better things to do quite frankly

Don't worry MG, what matters most is that you tried :lol:

Well which headphones and which speakers are you talking about for starters...

Well, what headphones and speakers is the threads title talking about?!?! :lol: You just came here looking to put your finger in my bottom for no reason, didn't you? Otherwise you'd've attacked the entire premise of the question being posed here instead of deliberately seeking to pick peanuts out of my poo, despite the fact that there are umpteen other posters saying more or less the same thing as me.

Admit it, you haven't the first clue what you're chatting about, do you? :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Len: Earphones you listen to, Speakers you feel

MG: Thats rubbish

Len: How?

MG: You tell me how it's not!

*tells him how it's not*

MG: Bollocks!

Len: How?

MG: I'm not tellin'!

Len: OK?

MG: You're an idiot!

Len: What?

MG: Stop talking to me, i've won now!

What...a...wanker :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Oh riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, so this was all a big test on your part? :lol: See previous wanker comment.

So, to recap

SRL makes comment

MG attempts to dispute it due to on-going hard for SRL despite not knowing what he's talking about

SRL asks him to expand on comment

MG acts variously combative, rude, superior and rhetorical in an attempt to mask that he doesn't know what he's talking about

SRL tells him he doesn't know what he's talking about

MG admits he doesn't know what he's talking about

Well, i'm glad we got there in the end :lol:

I do think some dance music is made to sound good in a club. They dont make it for headphones. Like 2 Unlimited its just big and loud, theres no nuances or anything to listen on headphones.

But some of intracies of bands like Radiohead sewm made to listen to on headphones, not blasted across a field at 3 in the afternoon.

Guest Len B'stard

I do think some dance music is made to sound good in a club. They dont make it for headphones. Like 2 Unlimited its just big and loud, theres no nuances or anything to listen on headphones.

But some of intracies of bands like Radiohead sewm made to listen to on headphones, not blasted across a field at 3 in the afternoon.

A lot of that is to do with formats like MP3 and CDs and that not having decent sound quality I've heard. They say viynl is really good like that? Like it has a depth and richness of sound that the aforementioned don't. I wouldn't know, never having owned a record player but i heard or read something...on viynl it kinda picks up the accoustics and the surroundings of where it was recorded at whereas CDs and MP3s or what have you tend to give you more of a cleaned up sound.

They have been working to remove hiss. Most cds sound like they were recorded in a vacuum by robots.

I love it on Physical Graphiti where that plane flies over studio and engineer someone says wait for the plane to pass and some says nah fuck it. Human aspect of things is being lost quite a bit.

Thought this was pretty hilarious on wiki, regarding Super Audio CDs and DVD-Audio:

Sound quality[edit source | editbeta]

In the audiophile community, the sound from the SACD format is thought to be significantly better than older Red Book CD-DA format CD recordings. For example, one supplier claims that "The DSD process used for producing SACDs captures more of the nuances from a performance and reproduces them with a clarity and transparency not possible with CD.[40]

Comparison with CD[edit source | editbeta]

In September 2007 the Audio Engineering Society published the results of a year-long trial, in which a range of subjects including professional recording engineers were asked to discern the difference between SACD and compact discaudio (44.1 kHz/16 bit) under double blind test conditions. Out of 554 trials, there were 276 correct answers, a 49.8 % success rate corresponding almost exactly to the 50 % that would have been expected by chance guessingalone.[41] The authors commented:

Now, it is very difficult to use negative results to prove the inaudibility of any given phenomenon or process. There is always the remote possibility that a different system or more finely attuned pair of ears would reveal a difference. But we have gathered enough data, using sufficiently varied and capable systems and listeners, to state that the burden of proof has now shifted. Further claims that careful 16/44.1 encoding audibly degrades high resolution signals must be supported by properly controlled double-blind tests.

Following criticism that the original published results of the study were not sufficiently detailed, the AES published a list of the audio equipment and recordings used during the tests.[43]

Comparison with DVD-A[edit source | editbeta]

Double-blind listening tests in 2004 between DSD and 24-bit, 176.4 kHz PCM recordings reported that among test subjects no significant differences could be heard.[44] DSD advocates and equipment manufacturers continue to assert an improvement in sound quality above PCM 24-bit 176.4 kHz.[45] Despite both formats' extended frequency responses, it has been shown people cannot distinguish audio with information above 21 kHz from audio without such high-frequency content.[46]

A lot of that is to do with formats like MP3 and CDs and that not having decent sound quality I've heard. They say viynl is really good like that? Like it has a depth and richness of sound that the aforementioned don't. I wouldn't know, never having owned a record player but i heard or read something...on viynl it kinda picks up the accoustics and the surroundings of where it was recorded at whereas CDs and MP3s or what have you tend to give you more of a cleaned up sound.

Man, you really DO know what you're talking about after all... i'm impressed.

Guest Len B'stard

Man, you really DO know what you're talking about after all... i'm impressed.

Oh Christ, shes back, Samaritans engaged again? :lol: