What are the different "feelings" you remember from each era?

rocknroll41

Hi, Marc. First of all I'd like to say that it's nice that you're here among us fans. Really appreciate it.

My question is a little...complex...but I figured you would like something different instead of just another "what happened between Axl and Slash?" sort of question.

Basically what I wanna know is what are the different feelings you get when thinking about the club days, the Appetite era and the Illusion era.

Like, when you close your eyes and think about either of those eras, what's the first thing that comes to your mind? Is it one of the dirty clubs or massive stadiums the band played? Is it one of the fancy hotels you may have stayed at? Is it the really nice tour jet GNR had during the Illusion trek? Any emotions in particular?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this. Take care.

The club days will always be the special times for me. Watching my friends write songs because they wanted to and doing what ever it took to get to the next gig. Watching the crowds grow and the buzz on the street. It was very exciting to watch that all happen.

When MTV put WTTJ on heavy rotation, that was cool because I knew the world would catch on. The middle of 1988 was the next step watching them really take over when SCOM took off. Now they were a supper group on tour with Aerosmith. What more could you ask for?

The UYI tour was fun to see them do a headline tour and seeing Nov Rain complete and Estrange but things started to change when Izzy left. Yes they were bigger then ever but I knew things were going to be different when it came to putting songs together. The team work that was there in 1985/1986 was in trouble. Maybe if Slash Axl and Duff sat in the same room together and worked on stuff it could have worked. instead Slash put together a demo and gave it to Axl. Duff was not in good health and it seamed like Axl and Slash wanted different things at the time for the next record so it was just falling apart but it was fun for a while to watch them go that big starting from nothing.

2001 was a time where Axl finally put a new band together after 5 years of trying and had at least a record worth of new songs. It was great to see him out there back in the game.

Edited by recklessroad

the 2001 lineup had a hard full of new songs so it was a start to something new. I can't say anything for the current lineup yet until they have some new songs under their belt but they look like they can make some good music with Axl. As long as you have Axl involved you know its going to be good.

The club days will always be the special times for me. Watching my friends write songs because they wanted to and doing what ever it took to get to the next gig. Watching the crowds grow and the buzz on the street. It was very exciting to watch that all happen.

When MTV put WTTJ on heavy rotation, that was cool because I knew the world would catch on. The middle of 1988 was the next step watching them really take over when SCOM took off. Now they were a supper group on tour with Aerosmith. What more could you ask for?

The UYI tour was fun to see them do a headline tour and seeing Nov Rain complete and Estrange but things started to change when Izzy left. Yes they were bigger then ever but I knew things were going to be different when it came to putting songs together. The team work that was there in 1985/1986 was in trouble. Maybe if Slash Axl and Duff sat in the same room together and worked on stuff it could have worked. instead Slash put together a demo and gave it to Axl. Duff was not in good health and it seamed like Axl and Slash wanted different things at the time for the next record so it was just falling apart but it was fun for a while to watch them go that big starting from nothing.

That is such an interesting reply Marc, also tinged with some sadness. If only Izzy hadn't left when he did... if only Slash, Axl and Duff had sat in the same room together... if only Slash hadn't just sent Axl a demo... If only...! Why did they start to do things differently when they way they worked together for AFD worked so well? I suppose it's always the initial struggle that is the most exciting, when they still had that hunger? It must have been great for you to see it from the beginning.

That's what I'd like to know. Why they never sat together when writing for UYIs?

I just figured it was because once they were legitamately famous, they all had their own stuff going on. Obviously they still cared about the band, but it wasn't the only thing they had. Before Appetite, they didn't have other opportunities so you just put everything into writing music. Now they had money and fame and excess. When you think about it that way, its kind of surprising that Steven was the only one that got lost in that.

But yes, I agree that its weird they never sat down again together to write, although I'm not surprised it didn't happen for the Illusions. They all had so many creative ideas that the songs basically just wrote themselves on their own. Axl had his epics and the other guys had their own songs they wanted to fully work on. I do question why they wouldn't think after the Spaghetti Incident when they didn't have a plethora of material to not think "well why don't we sit down and write some stuff together." I can only think its because Slash had Snakepit that he really wanted to do and not just leave by the wayside, and sometimes after initial success famous songwriters just don't write together anymore (Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, etc.)