Fugazi

Redhead74

Just recently discovered Fugazi and are quite fascinated by their music and the attitude they had towards their fans, which seems kind of refreshing compared to how most bands behave towards others. I love the song Reclamation, from the first listen I just thought "Wow!"

Does anyone else here like them and can perhaps educate me on their best material, what to look out for or just wanna talk about them in general?

Guest Len B'stard

Amazing fuckin band, very principled as people, wouldnt do interviews for magazines that advertised alcohol and cigarettes and stuff, id just take their whole catalogue head on, Ian Mackaye is a personal hero of mine, i think hes brilliant, although my heart belongs to Minor Threat. Fugazi are fantastic though.

Oh wow! I had a feeling I was onto something very Len-esque when I first heard them! :thumbsup:

Yes they seem VERY principled. Apparently, they would charge $5 for a ticket to see a show of theirs and if anyone was ejected by security from one of their shows they had a stash of envelopes with a $5 note in it and it would be given at the door to the person ejected. They couldn't stand the idea that someone was paying to see a show and not seeing the whole thing (despite whatever behaviour was going on). Amazing!

They also pre-dated Axl for stopping mid performance and calming people down if they could see folks in the audience getting overwhelmed by crowd behaviour.

Whether you like that behaviour or not, you can't critique them for not giving a fuck. :)

Will definitely check out more from them. Thanks! And BTW, who are Minor Threat?

Guest Len B'stard

They also pre-dated Axl for stopping mid performance and calming people down if they could see folks in the audience getting overwhelmed by crowd behaviour.

The Clash predate them both. And quite a few predate The Clash :) I'm not sure you'll like Minor Threat actually, based on my knowledge of your musical taste although i might be wrong, they were the hardcore punk band Ian Mackaye led before leaving for Fugazi, very fast, very straightahead, very aggressive, very structured and sharp as a fucking tack punk rock played at breakneak speed.

Ooh, OK. I might need to be eased into Minor Threat then. Give me a chance to engulf Fugazi first, think I've hit the tip of the iceberg here. :lol:

Hmmm, well I guess Axl wasn't that original hey? To my 15yo mind back in 89 he was a pioneering rebel who had ventured where no man had been before. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

The Clash did something magnificent in a Fugazi kinda vein in that they always thought albums were overpriced so they took this vow where no Clash album would ever cost more than 5 pounds, a cool thing considering they made double and triple albums in their output...trouble is to do that they had to like, give up their royalties on a lot of their stuff? Which meant that basically Joe Strummer and them all lived in squats or with friends or whatever throughout like, 95% of the time The Clash were a functioning band, right up until the end when they started playing stadiums and being like, bordering on the biggest band in the world.

A former MRS DOOM or LADY DOOM was ( and DOOM supposes still is) a massive Fugazi fan.

Its a little too socio political or whatever to be right up DOOM's alley but theyre a good band and musically interesting too.

Interviews with Ian were a good read, are they still around?

DOOM mainly remembers the Repeater +3 or whatever?

got into them because of Henry Rollins. love their Instrumental Soundtrack album very much (as i'm not a big fan of Ian's vocals).

i remember reading how Ian got irritated by all the straight edge craziness in the 90s and everyone calling him the godfather of the ideology. as he explained, when he wrote Straight Edge, he meant that he doesn't drink or take drugs because that's the way he is, not because he wanted to look cool by confronting those who does.

Love Fugazi! Have met all those guys and they are really cool. I paid $5 to see them at a big venue and I think another time it was same or free at a local college campus.

You have totally confirmed things that I have heard about them. Very jealous right now! I can only imagine them as being super cool given all the things I have heard about them. Imagine if they turned out to be mega cunts??? That would be soul destroying and make me lose all faith in humanity! :lol:

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Don't ask but everytime I hear about them that somehow results in me throwing on the first Black Flag album

No need to ask, it's the right thing and thats all that matters :)

Love Fugazi! Have met all those guys and they are really cool. I paid $5 to see them at a big venue and I think another time it was same or free at a local college campus.

You have totally confirmed things that I have heard about them. Very jealous right now! I can only imagine them as being super cool given all the things I have heard about them. Imagine if they turned out to be mega cunts??? That would be soul destroying and make me lose all faith in humanity! :lol:

They are the real deal hard rock samurais. They have positively influenced a lot of people in the straight edge movement.

I think Ian has a good quote (paraphrased),"At least i'm trying".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHAnkJFOMs

They are the real deal hard rock samurais. They have positively influenced a lot of people in the straight edge movement.

I think Ian has a good quote (paraphrased),"At least i'm trying".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHAnkJFOMs

OK, so you excuse my ignorance here, but what exactly is the straight edge movement?

Guest Len B'stard

To answer your question straight edge is a movement of punk rock and offshoot whoose principles are we don't drink we don't smoke we don't fuck and it all pretty much stems from one song that Ian Mackaye made with Minor Threat called Straight Edge in which he says, more or less, that he's not into those things. It wasn't meant as a manifesto or even like a lifetime vow or...particularly anything, it was just a song that was extolling the virtues of not being into those things kinda like, y'know, all you guys are obssessed with those things and they are a bunch of nothing...and the audience kinda took that and ran with it and made a 'movement' out of it, one that Ian Mackaye thinks is a load of rubbish.

Kind of a similar thing happened in the British punk scene where John Lydon referred to sex as '2 minutes of squelching noises' and a lot of people took that as 'punks don't fuck' :lol: And a rejection of the free hippie love ideals of the 60s and ugh, sex is disgusting boring ugly hippie shit' and etc etc :lol: When really all that was was John being like....hmmm? Well, just taking the piss really, like he does about everything :lol:

That's actually quite fascinating because rock and punk are based on this ideal of doing what you 'feel', it's all about emotion, it's all about going with that emotion and not feeling a need to be in control, and whilst I can understand the whole 'no drinking, no drugs' ideal (since they are external stimulants), no sex??? No way! That's just ridiculous! That's kind of anathema to me of what a human being is. It's what a monk subjects himself to. Wow, just wow! :lol:

To answer your question straight edge is a movement of punk rock and offshoot whoose principles are we don't drink we don't smoke we don't fuck and it all pretty much stems from one song that Ian Mackaye made with Minor Threat called Straight Edge in which he says, more or less, that he's not into those things. It wasn't meant as a manifesto or even like a lifetime vow or...particularly anything, it was just a song that was extolling the virtues of not being into those things kinda like, y'know, all you guys are obssessed with those things and they are a bunch of nothing...and the audience kinda took that and ran with it and made a 'movement' out of it, one that Ian Mackaye thinks is a load of rubbish.

Kind of a similar thing happened in the British punk scene where John Lydon referred to sex as '2 minutes of squelching noises' and a lot of people took that as 'punks don't fuck' :lol: And a rejection of the free hippie love ideals of the 60s and ugh, sex is disgusting boring ugly hippie shit' and etc etc :lol: When really all that was was John being like....hmmm? Well, just taking the piss really, like he does about everything :lol:

They don't fuck?! I never heard that one before.

Maybe they are against "free love" and such.

Edited by ohlovelyrita

Guest Len B'stard

They don't fuck?! I never heard that one before.

Maybe they are against "free love" and such.

Rita you're missing the point completely.

Straight Edgers are fucking wankers! There I said it!

And you'd be right in saying that :lol: