The Use Your Illusion albums: In Hindsight

Michir

Very solid albums. Not quite AFD, but not far behind.

I only see a few true clunkers in there like 'Shotgun Blues' and 'Get In The Ring', which are just juvenile. Was never a huge 'Back Off Bitch' guy either, but in truth, that was old tune from when they were just starting out. Its sounds weaker because it was weaker, done at a time before they were the band we came to really like.

I have never bought the argument that you could whittle it down to one album. Many of the true standout songs are just too long to make that possible. I would never cut 'November Rain', 'Coma', 'Estranged', or 'Locomotive'. Well, that right there is almost 40 minutes. That leaves you with only 40 other minutes for everything else. Can't be done.

In truth, it might be able to whittled down to one and a half albums. But I'll take a few of the outright duds and slightly lesser songs to get them all in there.

However, and I think this point is often overlooked...emptying their vault and leaving nothing in the cupboard was maybe not a great idea. How many times do you hear a band release an album and say that one of the new songs has been around from the last album's session? GNR could never do that. We will never get a GNR box set because frankly, if they did it, we've already heard it.

Very solid albums. Not quite AFD, but not far behind.

I only see a few true clunkers in there like 'Shotgun Blues' and 'Get In The Ring', which are just juvenile. Was never a huge 'Back Off Bitch' guy either, but in truth, that was old tune from when they were just starting out. Its sounds weaker because it was weaker, done at a time before they were the band we came to really like.

I have never bought the argument that you could whittle it down to one album. Many of the true standout songs are just too long to make that possible. I would never cut 'November Rain', 'Coma', 'Estranged', or 'Locomotive'. Well, that right there is almost 40 minutes. That leaves you with only 40 other minutes for everything else. Can't be done.

In truth, it might be able to whittled down to one and a half albums. But I'll take a few of the outright duds and slightly lesser songs to get them all in there.

However, and I think this point is often overlooked...emptying their vault and leaving nothing in the cupboard was maybe not a great idea. How many times do you hear a band release an album and say that one of the new songs has been around from the last album's session? GNR could never do that. We will never get a GNR box set because frankly, if they did it, we've already heard it.

YCBM, DC. NR and at least one or two more songs on UYI where from the AFD days. I have no idea whether they recorded any of this songs during the AFD sessions but the songs where written before and during the AFD sessions.

But I don't really disagree with you on that becuase that is only 4-5 songs hardly enough to make a full record or box set of any kind. I think they just put it all out there at once just to prove a double albem sold seperatly would sell big numbers. I bet Geffen was WTF save some of this stuff for the next record. And we also got TSI songs from the UYI sessions and some recording on the road and breaks between legs of the tour.

I also think they done the double album release with basicaly nothing left in the vault as far as new material so they could have more bargining power with Geffen on the next record, at least that was possibly the line of thought that way Geffen couldn't say give me those 10 songs and we are releasing it.

I know things went to hell after the tour and nothing materialized beyond SFTD.

I would love to know if they are any scraps left from any recording session GNR had right up until the brake up. They most likely have some demos most likely without vocals post UYI, but it would be nice to hear

Edited by bigcountry

The Use Your Illusions were perfect as the followups to Appetite For Destruction. I love the messy vibe they have. Love the vocals, especially the backing vocals. Live-wise, Use Your Illusion-era Guns N' Roses beats the crap out of Appetite For Destruction-era Guns N' Roses, IMO.

The Use Your Illusions were perfect as the followups to Appetite For Destruction. I love the messy vibe they have. Love the vocals, especially the backing vocals. Live-wise, Use Your Illusion-era Guns N' Roses beats the crap out of Appetite For Destruction-era Guns N' Roses, IMO.

Oh I agree. I've heard boots from before 91 but I prefer everything I heard from 91 on.