Through the Never

TombRaider

DM is an ok album in my book. Nothing to write home about. But The End of the Line annoys the fuck out of me. Every single album Metallica has released since their eponymous effort back in 91, has had (the way I see it) 4 or 5 sorta ok songs and the rest is just meh at best.

I don't hate Load or Reload as much as I did when they were first released, but I certainly don't listen to them anymore. Bleeding me is a great song, btw; one of their best imho. Different, but great. You just gotta be in the right mood for it, I guess, and for most of the post-91 stuff.

And while DM is sort of the album where Metallica tried to go back to their thrash/heavier days, it sounds, the way I see it or to my ears, I don't know… like, the music is there, but the passion is gone. Does that make sense? Probably not.

Edited by TombRaider

DM is an ok album in my book. Nothing to write home about. But The End of the Line annoys the fuck out of me. Every single album Metallica has released since their eponymous effort back in 91, has had (the way I see it) 4 or 5 sorta ok songs and the rest is just meh at best.

I don't hate Load or Reload as much as I did when they were first released, but I certainly don't listen to them anymore. Bleeding me is a great song, btw; one of their best imho. Different, but great. You just gotta be in the right mood for it, I guess, and for most of the post-91 stuff.

And while DM is sort of the album where Metallica tried to go back to their thrash/heavier days, it sounds, the way I see it or to my ears, I don't know… like, the music is there, but the passion is gone. Does that make sense? Probably not.

makes total sense and it is the same thing i have said. in order for thrash to work you have to have aggression. death magnetic had no passion and 0 aggression. it just came off as flat and plastic. it was basically they took some black album sounding shit and slapped some "thrash" elements and told everyone how they were going back to their "roots"

Kill Em All should be left the fuck alone, it's still their best record....I prefer James' voice on it to whatever the fuck you call what he does now.

every song he sounds like he is trying to "sing" nothing else matters and it fails horribly. i liked james a lot better when he "couldnt" sing, he had a really good voice that fit perfectly.

I liked him better too when he couldn't sing. Compare live versions of Creeping Death from the early 90s/late 80s to the same song played in the mid 2000s… Same thing happens with Master of Puppets. It's like, he's singing a song he no longer cares about. Like, he knows the lyrics, but it's as if he were reading out loud from a book he once liked but no longer finds interesting.

I liked him better too when he couldn't sing. Compare live versions of Creeping Death from the early 90s/late 80s to the same song played in the mid 2000s… Same thing happens with Master of Puppets. It's like, he's singing a song he no longer cares about. Like, he knows the lyrics, but it's as if he were reading out loud from a book he once liked but no longer finds interesting.

That was the feeling I got when I saw them live. The songs are kind of fucked up lyrically but they all looked chipper, they came on to Long Way to the Top by ACDC for christs sakes. That was the best part of the show for me. I could see them walking up the ramps backstage from the dressing rooms. It was limotastic. They didn't play much of DM anyway.