Robert Plant on Axl Rose [OLD]

Interesting that Plant doesn't care about his fans.

He sure was nice to me when I randomly ran into him in nyc's east village.

But I guess he'll never be as relevant as DJ Ashba, so he's bitter.

/sarcasm

That's because you're a "fan" as some posters say around here!

It's not Zeppelin without Bonham. It was the right choice to officially end it, cause it was already over.

But you think it was OK for Axl to keep GnR alive without Slash, Duff and Izzy?

I think what people fail to realize with this argument (not saying you, just some people) is that starting a new band doesn't mean that Axl still wouldn't have performed all the old material. The Axl Rose Band would still play all the same classics like Nov Rain, YCBM, Jungle, SCOM, etc. And he would have still came up with all the same CD songs.

Keeping the name/brand GnR has helped Axl sell a lot more concert tickets than if he'd went solo - so you can't blame him for being smart financially. But at the same time, it is respectful what Led Zep did.

The problem is, where do we draw the line?

So is the UYI lineup, GN'R? So let's say Gilby and Matt get fired, and Slash and Duff stay on board with Josh Freese, Tommy Stinson, and Paul Tobias, is that GN'R? If it was just Axl & Slash touring, would it be GN'R?

If Guns N' Roses can only be the classic lineup, then UYI was not GN'R. If Guns N' Roses can only be Matt and the rest, then once Gilby came in, it wasn't GN'R. It's the same thing with KISS, RATT, Poison, Whitesnake, etc., however, the only thing you could argue there is that those bands released more albums with alternative lineups than GN'R has. At the end of the day Axl owns Guns N' Roses and will continue to call his band that. And I don't blame him, because no matter what he does (besides a full reunion) he will never please everyone. (And even then some people wouldn't be pleased).

If memory serves me correct when Robert Plant went solo he went a long time, maybe a decade, before playing Stairway to Heaven again. No doubt he probably did that with other Zeppelin songs too, but I could just be speaking out of my ass. Maybe this is one instance that Robert Plant was just plain better than Axl Rose.

Well most of us can agree robert plant has a hell of a lot more integrity than axl - and axl is a lot more greedy than plant - personally, I would have preferred GnR disband the name back in 97/98 after slash, duff and matt all quit rather than is tbecome the circus act it is now

• Like 1

It's not Zeppelin without Bonham. It was the right choice to officially end it, cause it was already over.

But you think it was OK for Axl to keep GnR alive without Slash, Duff and Izzy?

I think what people fail to realize with this argument (not saying you, just some people) is that starting a new band doesn't mean that Axl still wouldn't have performed all the old material. The Axl Rose Band would still play all the same classics like Nov Rain, YCBM, Jungle, SCOM, etc. And he would have still came up with all the same CD songs.

Keeping the name/brand GnR has helped Axl sell a lot more concert tickets than if he'd went solo - so you can't blame him for being smart financially. But at the same time, it is respectful what Led Zep did.

The problem is, where do we draw the line?

So is the UYI lineup, GN'R? So let's say Gilby and Matt get fired, and Slash and Duff stay on board with Josh Freese, Tommy Stinson, and Paul Tobias, is that GN'R? If it was just Axl & Slash touring, would it be GN'R?

If Guns N' Roses can only be the classic lineup, then UYI was not GN'R. If Guns N' Roses can only be Matt and the rest, then once Gilby came in, it wasn't GN'R. It's the same thing with KISS, RATT, Poison, Whitesnake, etc., however, the only thing you could argue there is that those bands released more albums with alternative lineups than GN'R has. At the end of the day Axl owns Guns N' Roses and will continue to call his band that. And I don't blame him, because no matter what he does (besides a full reunion) he will never please everyone. (And even then some people wouldn't be pleased).

If memory serves me correct when Robert Plant went solo he went a long time, maybe a decade, before playing Stairway to Heaven again. No doubt he probably did that with other Zeppelin songs too, but I could just be speaking out of my ass. Maybe this is one instance that Robert Plant was just plain better than Axl Rose.

Good points.

I think losing one guy at a time, while you still had the lead singer, lead guitar player and bass player was still OK to keep the band's name.

But when every original guy except ONE has left......then maybe it would have been better to retire the name and start a new band. Especially when you continue to burn through musicians and only put out one album in a 15 year period. What is the point of keeping the legendary name at that point? Seems like if Axl was going to fight so hard to keep the name, and if the name was so important to him, that he would have done more with it. Imagine saving up your money for years and years to buy a huge boat.........but then you only take it out on the water one day a year.

Personally I don't care about the name. GnR wasn't about a "name" to me, it was about the songs that they created. And I don't really care who was in the band. I just care about the songs that band (whatever version) created. Nov Rain, Estranged, Catcher, Better - that's why I love GnR. Not because of who wrote them, not because they are attached to the name Guns n Roses, not because they were the world's most dangerous band and people love the attitude and rock star lifestyle, etc. I stopped caring about that type of stuff when I was 15. I just wanna hear rock n roll music with Axl Rose singing. I couldn't care less what the name of the band is or who the musicians are (as long as they are capable players). I don't judge a song based on how much attitude the band has or what the name of the band is. I just love the music.

Led Zeppelin's always been a consensus band because they all brought strengths in, JPJ gets overlooked, but he was a founding member, co-producer, arranger, and can play multiple instruments. You had a self-contained unit that rarely exists in any band. They didn't need a producer when you had two veteran producers in the band. Page had to fight for that right from day one, but he was able to sell himself with Atlantic's engineers.

Plant becoming a solo artist was much harder for him - he had gone through tragedy after tragedy, and going into the 80s under his own name was no picnic. I think that's part of why Phil Collins and Robert Plant connected and had a successful album, Phil had already tasted solo success by the the time he produced RP and was a good motivator. "Pictures at Eleven" was a good album,and it was probably a good guess of what Led Zep's next album may have sounded like, and to me, Led Zep would have just fizzled out in the fearly 80s anyway. It was good for Plant to have that disconnect and put Led Zeppelin in the past, whether they chose to or not. Jones just went on and became an in demand producer and arranger that occasionally goes out on stage.