Michael Stipe perfectly defines GNR at Nirvana HOF induction

"Solo artists almost have it easier than bands. Bands are not easy. You find yourself in a group of people who rub each other the wrong way in exactly the right way. And you have chemistry. Zeitgiest. Lightning in a bottle."

If that doesn't describe original GNR perfectly, then I don't know what does. Also a perfect explanation of why they'd never reunite. It was lightning in a bottle, it was of that time. And things just clicked then, in a way that it would never click 20 years later.

"Solo artists almost have it easier than bands. Bands are not easy. You find yourself in a group of people who rub each other the wrong way in exactly the right way. And you have chemistry. Zeitgiest. Lightning in a bottle."

If that doesn't describe original GNR perfectly, then I don't know what does. Also a perfect explanation of why they'd never reunite. It was lightning in a bottle, it was of that time. And things just clicked then, in a way that it would never click 20 years later.

GNR and REM had the luxury to make albums the way they wanted, when they wanted, but they both lost a pretty big fanbase in the process. If you were going to see REM or GNR in the early 90s, you were going to have a hard time getting tickets for either of them.

REM had their moment in the sun, had their #1 hits, Grammy nominations and wins, were all over the radio, and headlining arenas. The only band lineup change involved the drummer. You can go from "The One I Love" to "Man On The Moon" and say they had a great run as a band just from that period of time.

It's just that REM went "Good news: new songs and another greatest hits album. Bad news: we're calling it a day and no farewell tour."

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 1

I would think it would describe most bands. It's hard to be with people day in and day out let alone tour for months at a time and write and record new music.

I think most bands have internal problems. Some can still function and others can't. That's the same way life is.