Is Trent Reznor Axl's Anti-Christ?

Trent seems to go above and beyond what an artist should do. Axl is deep and holds his cards back. Way back. Trent and NIN goes away, but always comes back. Then they put out videos like this.... notice Robin running around having fun:

Not sure what my point is. But doesn't it seem fun when artists do this kind of thing?

Thoughts?

He had a break from Trent for a few years so it's probably fun for him. If he rejoined GNR for a handful of dates, he'd probably look like he's having a good time. I think Tommy being able to leave GNR to do the Replacements gig opened a door up of people coming back to the band.

Trent seems to go above and beyond what an artist should do. Axl is deep and holds his cards back. Way back. Trent and NIN goes away, but always comes back. Then they put out videos like this.... notice Robin running around having fun:

Not sure what my point is. But doesn't it seem fun when artists do this kind of thing?

Thoughts?

Not to be a dick, but I don't understand your point either. You could have showed a clip of virtually anyone and asked the same question.

The vast majority of GnR fans don't give a second thought about Robin Finck, like the rest of the world.

Have to agree here. He has his fans but I've really tried and bar the verse riff in "Better" which I love, his body of work leaves me completely cold.

I have no problem with guitar players being a bit "out there", I was always a fan of both ends of the spectrum from Slash on one end to

Kim Thayil and Tom Morello on the other (I know there are other noise freaks playing but I can't get that far down the spectrum).
For me, Robin was neither one nor the other making me feel his style was confused and came across as half baked and sloppy. So for me , its a no.
Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

Robin is good at being Trent's foil. Trent will either tell Robin what to play specifically, or he'll give Robin a general idea and let him run with it.

I think Axl wanted Slash to play that role after UYI. But slash isn't a studio foil. It's just not him.

Then Axl thought he'd go straight to the source and flat-out copy Trent's workflow, using the exact same guy. That didn't work either.

Axl's story is one of how he fought so hard to gain complete control, and in doing so, he neutered his work of creative spark. Just listen to ChiDem.

Robin was probably frustrated with GN'R's lack of progression. Then quit when CD came out, having finally saw his work through to conclusion. Trent plays a similar set every night, but does put out a lot of projects. Also, this music is really much more in-line with what Robin is geared towards playing. It's a shame, but if that's the case, I can't fault him for that.

As an aside, I always thought it was a shame that Axl respects Trent so much, while Trent really looks down on GN'R.

Edited by BangoSkank

Robin looked pretty unhappy, just doing his job when I saw him backstage in 06. Hell, he even avoided the fans.

With NIN or GNR? Robin?

Robin with GnR

Still remember the rumours of Robin getting really mad before shows backstage in 06. I'm sure no new music played a part in it.

In the 2007 Monterrey Mexico show Robin was furious with Axl backstage. Before I mention my story, which I have shared long ago....I know this because the promoter/manager at Arena Monterrey invited my friend, friend took me. We had lunch and then a bite to eat after the show with the promoter. Tickets were free, I have my worker pass to go backstage somewhere. At the end of the concert the promoter said the guitar player with long hair and a beard (Robin) was livid backstage because Axl would never go on stage. Axl never opened the door when Robin was knocking. Mentioning that Robin was yelling he is tired and is quitting. Mind you, Axl took the stage close to 1a.m. A year later Robin left the band.
  • Like 1

Lol i can imagine Axl sitting their with his feet up drinking wine and twirling his Siamese Plutocracy cd in his hands and using the hoarse voice of Finck as a soothing backdrop to the contemplations of tinkering with his recorded solos and replacing them as easily as he replaces each cigar he chainsmokes before leaving for the stage as his band sweats it out.

Axl's story is one of how he fought so hard to gain complete control, and in doing so, he neutered his work of creative spark. Just listen to ChiDem.

I have, and think it's a very creative album.

Robin looked pretty unhappy, just doing his job when I saw him backstage in 06. Hell, he even avoided the fans.

With NIN or GNR? Robin?

Robin with GnR

Still remember the rumours of Robin getting really mad before shows backstage in 06. I'm sure no new music played a part in it.

In the 2007 Monterrey Mexico show Robin was furious with Axl backstage. Before I mention my story, which I have shared long ago....I know this because the promoter/manager at Arena Monterrey invited my friend, friend took me. We had lunch and then a bite to eat after the show with the promoter. Tickets were free, I have my worker pass to go backstage somewhere. At the end of the concert the promoter said the guitar player with long hair and a beard (Robin) was livid backstage because Axl would never go on stage. Axl never opened the door when Robin was knocking. Mentioning that Robin was yelling he is tired and is quitting. Mind you, Axl took the stage close to 1a.m. A year later Robin left the band.

Well, Robin played with GN'R (was it last year), so I guess that they are on good terms now.

With NIN or GNR? Robin?

Robin with GnR

Goddamn, Axl was just sitting back there? Any more to the story? I know you said you posted it here already, but is there a link to a thread?

With NIN or GNR? Robin?

Robin with GnR

That's where you start taking video of Axl's door and people waiting outside milling about.

ffs.

Why is there always a thread about Trent cunting Reznor? Nothing to do with GNR. Completely different Artists/Vocalist, completely different music scene. Only thing in common is they played swapsies with Robin.

I don't get it.