The lyrical telepromoter on the UYI tour

Guns n' Roses was so much fun back when it was a rock n' roll band without teleprompter bullshit.

Just watch the 2 Rio shows!

They could play Appetite and Lies on those 2 shows and everybody would love them.

But instead they chose to play several new (and never performed before) songs in front of the biggest crowd of their lives.

Axl missed a lot of lines on both nights...

But who fucking cares?

Guns n' Roses was much more fun back then because even missing lines the band was so much into playing the songs and into rocking.

It seemed like they were doing oit for themselves.

I have listened to both Rock in Rio nights boots more times than I can remember.

To this day, I still can't figure out what Axl says on some of the Jungle verses on the 2nd night; And I love it!

To this day, I am very pleased to listen to You Could be Mine on night #1, when Axl didn't sing the last part of the song; I love that too!.

To this day, I am very, VERY pleased to listen to You Could be Mine on night #2. Axl mic stopped working and Izzy sung so good. And what about the final part? Did Axl wrote thos lines on that very day? Or were they written but he forgot them? It's amazing, he sung just some parts of the lyrics that would end up on the final version. And to this day I think that's the best version EVER of You Could Be Mine.

Why are people talking about the recent tours? The question was directed towards the UYI tour 91-93. Where the setlists were actually varied, especially the '91 part of the tour. Each leg was different.We all know DJ and Dizzy bullshit about how unpredicitable their show is, but the original question isnt geared towards that.

Early summer 1991 was. But even by the Euro leg later that summer, it was fairly set.And was farily set on each subsequent leg. Maybe 2 or 3 songs got reordered, but there wasn't this wild variation.

I agree that it did get somewhat more set. But you had different aspects that mixed things up throughout the legs of the tour. Like the horn section and backup singers. Then the acoustic set on the 93 tour. Not to mention they had more songs being put in and out of the set on a consistant basis. So you werent seeing the same show every time they came to town. Pretty much the opposite of what its likes nowadays.

The ''no fixed set list'' thing is a lie that they stated (still do in fact) to simply, look cool. Guns have always had setlists more rigid than Jimmy Saville's bellend at a nursery. Many forum members have even produced the evidence, paper copies of the very setlists, over the years.

Word of advice: Guns N' Roses lie.

what you said is valid from when the UYI's came out and Izzy fucked off

The ''no fixed set list'' thing is a lie that they stated (still do in fact) to simply, look cool. Guns have always had setlists more rigid than Jimmy Saville's bellend at a nursery. Many forum members have even produced the evidence, paper copies of the very setlists, over the years.

Word of advice: Guns N' Roses lie.

They have a setlist. It exists and is sent around the band and crew members. A few fans have obtained copies of these setlists. ''No setlist'' is a pure and simple lie.

Nope.

While I've had "setlists" from a few shows, there are songs on there that were not played at those gigs, and songs played that were not on the setlist.

Yes, in recent years, the setlist has become far more rigid, but every once in a while when Axl is in the mood, they'll pick something new, i.e. Yesterdays & Prostitute at Vegas 2014, YCBM as opener in Bolivia 2014.

They did Nice Boys as a second encore after PC in Gurgaon in 2012. That was quite obviously impromptu.

There's a list of 70 or so songs they choose from, and while unfortunately in recent years the variation of songs hasn't been great, the computer system still exists. Powerage and Black Sabbath will tell you that at Vegas this year they saw the list being scrolled through on the screen before one of the shows, saw Prostitute among the list of songs and joked about it being played that night, which it was, though it was one of a long list of songs including songs that were not played.

Axl announces the next song through private mic line.

Yup, though I guess on some nights/for some stretches they're on autopilot, i.e. they know to go from Chinese to WTTJ to ISE so it's probably not between every song.

Bollocks.

Listen, if they have dispensed with the bits of paper it is because the setlist is so fuckin rigid that they do not even need the bit of paper.

Bumble and Fortus tried to get Richard to play Yesterdays by jamming it on the 31st May. Didn't work, Bumble said maybe next time. Seems Axl was in the mood on the 4th June, and they played it then. Axl's first performance since '93 of Don't Cry in Japan in '07 was impromptu, he just started joining in with Bumble's solo spot.

I spoke with fans who saw the London 31st May 2012 setlist, TWAT was on there, unfortunately it was not played.

IRS is on my L'Arc setlist. It has never been played live acoustically.

Yes, Dizzy and DJ are wildly exaggerating when they say there is "no setlist", there is a base setlist that is followed, but every now and then Axl likes to either throw something in or skip a song or change order.

who cares about Nu GNR here we're talking about the UYI tour

• Like 1

I wonder WHY they need lyrics..lol...every fan knows the lyrics by head

When your performing and focusing on vocal tone or pitch or whatever, it helps to have the words just in case you get too distracted and temporarily loose where your up too. More often than not it's more of a "security blanket",but it helps to have a point of reference.

didn't seem to help Axl at Rock in Rio 11 or Bridge School or....etc, etc, etc

It actually fucked him in Rio. He's trying to read the teleprompter in the rain, looking away from the piano keys, which causes him to botch the piano playing.

Complete mess.

Edited by bacardimayne

I wonder WHY they need lyrics..lol...every fan knows the lyrics by head

When your performing and focusing on vocal tone or pitch or whatever, it helps to have the words just in case you get too distracted and temporarily loose where your up too. More often than not it's more of a "security blanket",but it helps to have a point of reference.

didn't seem to help Axl at Rock in Rio 11 or Bridge School or....etc, etc, etc

It actually fucked him in Rio. He's trying to read the teleprompter in the rain, looking away from the piano keys, which causes him to botch the piano playing.

Complete mess.

Wonder if the rain fucked the teleprompters and caused them not to work. Could be why he looks so confused. Or as you said, he just might not have been able to see them due to the rain