Long Reads

downzy

This is a thread for long read magazine articles that you found interesting and may want to discuss with the forum...

This past weekend I read a profile on Jonathan Ive, the head of design for Apple, in the latest issue of The New Yorker. It's long, but worth the time:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/shape-things-come

I somewhat think Ive's contribution to Apple's success has been somewhat exaggerated. While form and function are no doubt a big reason for Apple's dominance in the last five to ten years, I'm not sure if they're as important as how well the software runs. I love apple products because they work and never give me any hassles. While my iMac sure looks nice sitting on my desk, it wouldn't be here if it behaved like all the Dells I use to own. iTunes, OS X, iOS and other Apple software, in my opinion, have had a bigger impact on Apple's success than whether corners are rounded on iPads. There were other mp3 players prior to the release of the iPod, but it was it's software and ease of use that made it a hit. In many ways, at least the first few generations, its design was rather bland and nondescript.

Anyway, please post other long-form newspaper, magazine, and literary publications you find interesting and want to discuss here.