Nasty Computer Virus

rock4eva

I have a mac now and installed a free anti-virus program just to be safe in case (sophos anti-virus). Prior, I had been on Windows most of my life and I never did anything unprotected on it (aside from the occasional hand job)... Had enough viruses and malware and didn't want to go through that hassle. Windows' firewall and security is not sufficient enough, you need that extra program IMO.

And this the point in the discussion that the guy who uses a Mac tells all you PC guys to forget antivirus software and just get a Mac. :P

Seriously though, never installed antivirus software, never had a problem. Was a PC guy for decades and after reformatting my hard drive four times in two years I gave up and bought a MacBook Pro.

Best of luck R4E.

Yea Mac boys always played the "Mac can't get viruses" card...until Macs started getting viruses.

Seriously, if you have AVG, and use Windows Defender (fucks sake, it's built in) and at last resort, system restore, which fixes 99% of problems, I don't understand how viruses are a problem.

My coworker and I were just talking about this today, how our stupid acquaintances pay like 80 bucks minimum for a PC service at some company, when I'd fix it for a case of beer and a run of AVG and system restore. Why are people that intimidated to google how to maintain their computers?

Yeah, there are some malware out there that can infect Macs, but the odds of that happening are substantially lower than what PC users face. It's not even close.

Probably because PC use grossly outweighs mac.

And this the point in the discussion that the guy who uses a Mac tells all you PC guys to forget antivirus software and just get a Mac. :P

Seriously though, never installed antivirus software, never had a problem. Was a PC guy for decades and after reformatting my hard drive four times in two years I gave up and bought a MacBook Pro.

Best of luck R4E.

Yea Mac boys always played the "Mac can't get viruses" card...until Macs started getting viruses.

Seriously, if you have AVG, and use Windows Defender (fucks sake, it's built in) and at last resort, system restore, which fixes 99% of problems, I don't understand how viruses are a problem.

My coworker and I were just talking about this today, how our stupid acquaintances pay like 80 bucks minimum for a PC service at some company, when I'd fix it for a case of beer and a run of AVG and system restore. Why are people that intimidated to google how to maintain their computers?

Yeah, there are some malware out there that can infect Macs, but the odds of that happening are substantially lower than what PC users face. It's not even close.

Probably because PC use grossly outweighs mac.

There's that, but also very few malware code gets written for Macs. Not sure what it is now, but in 2008 there were 1.5 million pieces of malware code for PC while only 200 for Mac. While OS X isn't fullproof, it is a harder OS to infiltrate than Windows. Hence hackers/malware writers will likely go with the path of least resistance.

Is there anyone more smug than a Mac user? They are like the vegetarians of IT.

16.jpg

Boom! Roasted!

You call it path of least resistance, I call it programming for most widespread effectiveness. As a virus programmer, you want to infect as many computers as possible, so why would you waste your time programming for like a 20% marketshare when you could program for a 75% share?

You call it path of least resistance, I call it programming for most widespread effectiveness. As a virus programmer, you want to infect as many computers as possible, so why would you waste your time programming for like a 20% marketshare when you could program for a 75% share?

True, but regardless of the cause, the reality is that the average Mac user puts up with significantly less aggravation than PC users when it comes to viruses/malware. Things might be better now, but I remember back in 2006 - 2007 with my last laptop I was restarting it daily, reformatting it every five to six months. Moved to Mac and never had a single problem since.

True, but regardless of the cause, the reality is that the average Mac user puts up with significantly less aggravation than PC users when it comes to viruses/malware.

Probably.

But the average Mac user also has to put up with Apple, and no gaming.

True, but regardless of the cause, the reality is that the average Mac user puts up with significantly less aggravation than PC users when it comes to viruses/malware.

Probably.

Compared to dealing with Microsoft and Dell, Apple has been a pleasure. I remember when I had issues with my Dell laptop way back when I always got bounced between Dell and Microsoft, with Dell claiming it was a Microsoft problem while Microsoft saying it was a Dell issue. I had one issue with my iMac a few years ago, called Apple, they booked me an appointment the next day at the local Apple store, brought the computer in one day and picked it up the next. It's nice when one company makes th the hardware and software.

Yeah, gaming on Apple isn't the greatest, but that's what my xbox is for.

Probably.

Compared to dealing with Microsoft and Dell, Apple has been a pleasure. I remember when I had issues with my Dell laptop way back when I always got bounced between Dell and Microsoft, with Dell claiming it was a Microsoft problem while Microsoft saying it was a Dell issue. I had one issue with my iMac a few years ago, called Apple, they booked me an appointment the next day at the local Apple store, brought the computer in one day and picked it up the next. It's nice when one company makes th the hardware and software.

Yeah, gaming on Apple isn't the greatest, but that's what my xbox is for.

I guess everyone has a different experience, but two of my very close friends both had MacBook Pro's and hated them. On one of them, Apple has replaced nearly every part on the inside due to a buzzing noise.... which I immediately told my friend it was probably the HD. Apple replaced the Logic Board, the speakers, and both fans - this is all while my friend had to send his Macbook to their "service center." He gets it back, bam! same problem.... sends it in again, Apple says this time "oh it's definitely the HD." He's been waiting 2 weeks to get it back.

If this were a PC, I could rip the thing open in 10 seconds, throw in a new HD, and be done with it without voiding the warranty.

I just don't like Apple's attitude, I don't see the appeal in their products (though I acknowledge that they do appeal to people, they just don't appeal to me). I guess the one thing I can thank Apple for is for keeping Microsoft from getting complacent. We're never going to agree on this though, lol.