It's So Easy and Other Lies Documentary

I saw this last Thursday night at the Seattle International Film Festival. Much like the book, it starts with Duff’s youth in Seattle, to his stardom, to his addictions and ends with him as a family man. Includes interviews with Duff’s brother and sister, his childhood friends, other musicians, Slash, Matt and of course multiple ones from Duff himself. A lot of the movie is also footage from his live book reading at the Moore theater in Seattle (which I’m kicking myself for missing). There’s also animation used throughout to highlight key events such as when his pancreas burst or the band fleeing from the St Louis riot.

My biggest complaint is that they clearly were not allowed to use Axl’s image/likeness. He’s shown maybe 3 times throughout the entire 1½ hour movie and each time it’s extremely brief, like just a quick flash of a magazine cover. I think I heard his voice maybe one time which was also very brief. Was somewhat distracting and for this reason I found the book to be more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Did they use GNR songs in the documentary or any concert footage? I figured they were going to base it around the readings/spoken word shows.

Some of both but not a lot. And each time they did it was instrumental parts only as they couldn't use Axl's voice. They did show Duff's performance of Patience at the Moore with Susan in the crowd near the end which was pretty cool.