Slash Shares Jailhouse Fare In ‘Prison Ramen’ Cookbook

Funky.Monkey

Slash Shares Jailhouse Fare In ‘Prison Ramen’

November 1, 2015

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash, offbeat leading man Shia LaBeouf and “Orange is the New Black” actress Taryn Manning share their noodle know-how in “Prison Ramen: Recipes and Stories from Behind Bars,” being released on Nov. 3.

The dishes include Slash’s “Jaywalking Ramen,” shared exclusively with the Daily News, drawn from his stint in Los Angeles County jail for a delinquent jaywalking ticket. This one combines classic chicken-flavored Ramen with minced pork and, for an extra kick, Sriracha.

Hard Rock, Hard Time” by Slash

It was the really early days of the band. One minute, Duff, our bassist, was driving the band down Melrose Avenue in broad daylight. And the next minute police were pulling us over and taking us in, and I didn't even know why. I ended up in a holding cell, handcuffed to some other guy. Then I was packed into a big black-and-white county bus with a bunch of guys and given no explanation for where we were going. We drove around the entire day, late into the night, and continued until the early morning. We were dropping off all these guys at their city courthouses. We finally got back to L.A. County, and it took all day for me to get processed. By the time I got into my cell-a big community cell-it was nighttime again.

I had on fingernail polish and used my teeth to take all that shit off. I had to. You don't wear nail polish in county jail! I was so miserable, jonesin' really hard, and with all kinds of fools from the weekend's arrests. They kept us in these smelly holding cells until they had enough guys to pack the hot, stinky bus again. I started sweating that nasty, kicking, hungover smell. I couldn't eat, couldn't drink, and had the shivers. The worst feeling ever! This feeling had nothing to do with jail. It's about kicking (withdrawal) and you can't do anything about it. I had no lawyer to call, and I felt like my life could be in danger if I stayed there any longer. L.A. County jail is no joke. Finally, I was called up by a deputy. Someone-Axl-had put up the bail money to get me out. We had just signed a record deal, but had no record yet and not much money. I was finally told that I had been detained for a jaywalking ticket from high school. For walking across Fairfax and Beverly! Man, that was a long time ago and I had totally forgotten about that. Apparently they don't. To those of you who don't bother with those minor infractions and choose to ignore tickets, beware. There might be a stinky holding cell waiting for you. Word to the wise: Pay your jaywalking tickets.

Printed with permission from “Prison Ramen: Recipes and Stories Behind Bars” (Workman; November 2015; $12.95).

RECIPE: SLASH'S JAYWALKING RAMEN

INGREDIENTS

1 pack chicken flavor Ramen

1 cup boiling water

3 scallions, chopped

1/2 cup cooked minced pork

1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce, or to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Crush the Ramen in the wrapper and empty into a bowl. Add the seasoning.

2. Add the water, stir, cover and let sit for 8 minutes.

3. Mix in the scallions and pork.

4. Add the Sriracha to taste.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/slash-shia-labeouf-share-jailhouse-fare-prison-ramen-article-1.2415062

51pOtFU3g2L._SX427_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

What the (home)fuck is that about?

Apparently Slash is friends with the guy who wrote the cookbook...

Writing a book is an intense process. What is the biggest thing you took away from the process not only as a writer but on a personal level?

Wow, you know, it has been a lot. Goose and I sit back and laugh. When I was first starting the project, Slash gave us a great story and a recipe. He had totally forgotten about it. When I initially told him about it and mentioned ramen, his eyes lit up. There are a lot of fond memories that come with the days of struggling and you find out later, now that they have money, they will still do it. One of the things that Slash told me was, “Clifton, you can’t look at the mountain, bro. You have to take one step at a time.” He started telling me about the “World On Fire” album, which he is on tour with right now with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators. He said, “You think I could have finished this album if I looked at the mountain as a whole? It is so daunting. I couldn’t have. I started with a riff here and a lick there and I build on to it.” I directed the video for it called “Gotten,” which features Adam Levine and Slash. When he first played the song for me, all I heard was the guitar because at that point it was all he had written. That was way before I had any intentions of directing the video and I had no clue I would.

As you mentioned, you and Slash are friends. You recently did a series of interviews with him for his upcoming horror flick, “The Hell Within.” What can you tell us about the project?

Slash and I are dying to get into something. He sent me a script recently. However, “The Hell Within” is something he is very passionate about. His director, Dennison Ramalho, is an amazing talent. I have seen some of his work and clips from his reel. Slash, obviously, is Guitar God. He is the Ghandi of Guitar Gods. He is so zen. [laughs] He is masterful in so many other things as well. Film is certainly one of them. He is such a student of the horror genre. He blows my knowledge out of the water! This guy knows the music, the score, the directors, how they did it, the black and whites, the colors, the new ones and the old ones. He found this badass and when he was telling me the story, I knew it was going to be really good. They are doing a little fundraising project for it and the fans are going to be involved. It is really dope. Slash is one of those people who is so good to his fans. It is something that my grandpa did and Danny Trejo does but it is so great to see someone like Slash have the kind of love and interaction he does with his fans. I am constantly learning from him because I can be so much better and I am longing to be. I am so grateful to have these great examples around me to help me out! I can definitely tell you Slash is very passionate about this project and it is going to be badass. I can’t wait to have another conversation with you about the actual film when it is done!

http://www.iconvsicon.com/2015/09/25/the-ballad-of-clifton-collins-jr-the-artist-talks-career-philanthropy-and-prison-ramen/

• Like 1

BREAKING BREAD by Danny Trejo

My fondest memories—if you can call them that—of being incarcerated were the weekends. We’d get a bunch of guys together and lay out a spread. Just breaking bread with friends. We’d get whatever we could scrape up—Ramen, chili, popcorn, even hard-boiled eggs. It was like a potluck or picnic, but prison style.

The weekend spreads helped soothe the disappointment of not getting a visit. No matter how tough you look, when it’s visiting day and you know you’re not getting one, it’s hard. You think about all the people who would have visited you if you weren’t a three-time loser. Back when I was in juvenile hall, my mom, dad, sister, brother, and everybody would come visit me. When I hit Youth Authority, visits got thinner. In the pen, my mom was the only one who wrote to me.

The weekend spreads helped me think That’s not important, this is important. My friends, my camaradas, were important to me. I knew my family wasn’t going to visit, but I’d have a family feeling with my homeboys.

Trejo’s Machete Ramen

Ingredients:

2 packs chili flavor Ramen

11⁄2 cups boiling water

About 1 cup chopped cooked pork sausage (9 ounces)

1 small bag (2 ounces) Doritos (any flavor)

Tabasco sauce

2 bags (4 ounces each) corn nuts (any flavor)

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1⁄2 onion, chopped

1 tomato, chopped

3 jalapeño chiles, chopped

2 tablespoons squeezable cheese

1. Crush the Ramen in the wrappers and empty into a bowl. Set aside the seasoning packets.

2. Add the water, cover, and let sit for 8 minutes.

3. Drain off excess water.

4. Add the seasoning, sausage, Doritos, Tabasco to taste, corn nuts, mayonnaise, onion, tomato, and jalapeños. Mix well.

5. Add the cheese and mix again.