Musical direction of the reunited Guns

This seems to be the million dollar question everybody is avoiding.

Remember that one of the biggest reasons for the initial split, were different opinions on which musical direction to pursue after the UYI albums.

Slash wanted to stay in the AFD-direction, while Axl's vision was different. He was the main mastermind behind the grandios UYI-era - some will say in a negative way - but he wanted it BIG. I love him for that, coz it's like Liam Gallagher of Oasis comments on todays music industry: "nobody wants to be fuckin' Elvis anymore".

Well, Axl did.

Anyway, to me, GnR is awesome hard rock, combined with southern rock (is that the right term?) and epic masterpieces. With Slash's signature guitar and Axl's superb lyrics, it was perfect. Back then, that is.

Axl then wanted to go in an industrial direction. (Why on earth???)

Slash hated the idea.

20 years later they're back together. Duff as well.

Has Axl gone back to his musical roots, or have Slash and Duff swallowed a couple of camels just to get back in what, yet again, could be the biggest band out there.

I don't think they will record music together but IF they did I can imagine something along the lines of VR. Axl Rose has abandoned the industrial and "complex" shit for a while now. Even the way he dresses shows he's realized he's just a hard rock singer, not Trent Reznor or Maynard James Keenan.

I can see Slash leaving his comfort zone for Axl. I think he truly believes in Axl's abilities to create good ballads and piano-driven songs. If the label has any say in the direction they should take, I can see them trying to recreate SCOM or WTTJ, which could turn out either awesome or pathetic. If they have total freedom, I imagine something like UYI songs with the "modern" vibe from Slash's time in VR.

Only thing I'm sure is that any release by them will be automatically better than anything on CD and AL or WOF.

Edited by maynard