Irving Azoff Comments On Guns N' Roses Reunion

It was just figurative speaking. If it did not happen in another life, he wouldn't be a liar either. :P

Really, Axl lies just like anybody else. But to change his mind after FIVE YEARS (which is a lot, dont take it as something so trivial) is pretty ok to me. I changed my mind about a lot of things. There's really no big deal.

3 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

There is/was a post on here in one of the threads which stated that Ashba's departure was indeed the catalyst for the reunion, that it was sudden and came as a shock to Axl. I can believe it - not because DJ is irreplaceable but what it symbolised - yet another failed nuGuns lineup. DJ was the third (fourth if you include Bumble) guitarist to bail on him since nuGuns started properly and I think Axl would have been hard pushed to find a decent replacement - I couldn't see any one even on Bumble/Ashba's level of fame who'd want to stick around long term playing other people's parts for years. 

Plus, Axl had pretty much run nuGuns into the ground (hence probably why Sixx:AM looked like the better option to Ashba over GN'R), the one hope for renewed interest was a new record but then Ashba (and Bumble) bailing meant that wasn't going to happen any time soon if he had to hire two new guitarists.

Personally, I don't believe Axl was misleading anyone about it or that his opinions have changed dramatically. Ultimately, I imagine he'd rather nuGuns was still going as he was the boss and could do what he wanted but now he knows the only real option is to go for a reunion. I imagine he's had to make some big concessions for Slash to come back. Ultimately, at this point in time Axl needs Slash more than Slash needs Axl IMO - Slash was going to strength to strength as a solo act and before long I imagine would have been a bigger draw than nuGuns which is a pretty stark contrast if you compare the size of the venues that VR and GN'R were playing in 2006.

DJ's announcement of his departure was probably overdue. Even though Axl liked the guy for some reason, he clearly didn't think his work was anything special. He lured Ashba into thinking they would make a new record, which probably lead only to a hundred demo solo recordings from each member, but nothing serious. At the end of the day, Axl still wanted to stick to the Chinese Democracy's era stuff, tho he also did nothing with it.

So yeah, I think everyone in the band knew Axl and Slash were in good terms again as early as Jan 2015 and that a semi-reunion would be inevitable. Ashba probably thought after a while that he would not fit in the new mix and quit before Axl fired him.

I obviously don't know anything, its just how I percieve the whole situation. To me, Axl was already in the reunion path when he brought DJ, which is nothing but a Slash clone. If MSL is to be believed, he was already considering in 2011 to bring Duff back. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, emybdc said:

You think the reunion happened BECAUSE DJ left?
I thought it was common sense by now that HE left because of the reunion, not the other way around. Besides, he left in july 2015. That doesnt leave much time to heal wounds that have been there for over 20 years.

For you to believe he was lying when he said he would never be up for a reunion you have to believe a reunion was in the works since then. Why would he lie about it? Why don't just get together at the RRHOF and announce it then? Doesn't make any sense, sorry.

People grow. Things change.

You know, he ain't got time to reminisce old novelties.

(I love musicals)

nah, i based my post on what the admin of this site posted a few weeks earlier: "Axl still want to do a new album and promote it with DJ"....

Seems like a very few people read that particular thread... Also like i said, this reunion was in the works for years, Duff played with Axl for the first time since 1993 in 2010....

Why would he lie? because nothing was certain at that point or maybe he thought that he can carry on with the circus line up (aka without Slash and Duff)  ->this just shows how delusional Axl was at that time

He got older and probably realised that not many people interested on his version of Guns anymore

To flat out say: "not in this lifetime"  is different than saying:" i don't think so...."or something similar in vain. he obviously changed his mind but he is also accountable to what he said  5 yers earlier, that's all i'm saying

Yeah, nitpick the "full line up" thing makes sense, especially there's still a chance that Izzy and Adler involved with this thing....

The RNRHOF would profit from that moment, it's a financial no brainer that they (or Axl) wouldn't want to reunite on an awards show and Axl clearly stated his reasons aand his opinion about the RNRHOF. Izzy doesn't show up too...

What you (and i must admit I hoped too) hoped that they reunite on the RNRHOF makes NO sense financially!

People get older, they grown up decades ago

You're obviously a noob, though, i was here in the past few years and i know what i'm talking about and remember a few things that you might not, because ou probably doesn't give a flying fuck about Axl when he played with his circus band

Edited by Strange Broue

8 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

nah, i based my post on what the admin of this site posted a few weeks earlier: "Axl still want to do a new album and promote it with DJ"....

Seems like a very few people read that particular thread... Also like i said, this reunion was in the works for years, Duff played with Axl for the first time since 1993 in 2010....

Why would he lie? because nothing was certain at that point or maybe he thought that he can carry on with the circus line up (aka without Slash and Duff)  ->this just shows how delusional Axl was at that time

He got older and probably realised that not many people interested on his version of Guns anymore

To flat out say: "not in this lifetime"  is different than saying:" i don't think so...."or something similar in vain. he obviously changed his mind but he is also accountable to what he said  5 yers earlier, that's all i'm saying

Yeah, nitpick the "full line up" thing makes sense, especially there's still a chance that Izzy and Adler involved with this thing....

The RNRHOF would profit from that moment, it's a financial no brainer that they (or Axl) wouldn't want to reunite on an awards show and Axl clearly stated his reasons aand his opinion about the RNRHOF. Izzy doesn't show up too...

What you (and i must admit I hoped too) hoped that they reunite on the RNRHOF makes NO sense financially!

People get older, they grown up decades ago

You're obviously a noob, though, i was here in the past few years and i know what i'm talking about and remember a few things that you might not, because ou probably doesn't give a flying fuck about Axl when he played with his circus band

I may be a noob here and I respect your experience, but I've been closely following all members, I've read all the books, seen all interviews, and been to concerts of the nuGnR both times they came to Brazil the last couple of years.

btw, I didnt say I hoped they would reunite at RRHOF, I said IF the reunion was in the works back them, it'd be a great opportunity to announce it. That's why I dont think he lied when he said "not in this lifetime". It's precisely the words he used that make me believe it.