Production!

Silverburst80

So what's the everybody's favourite albums production wise?. Such an important thing to get right, some bands get it right and some get it wrong, some bands manage to do both in spectacular fashion over their careers. I'll kick it off with some of my faves.

AFD- I thought the production matched the grimey nature of the subject matter perfectly at a time when rock and metal was polished and tinny sounding. The guitars are absolutely perfect, Izzy guitar rumbles and growls nonchalantly alongside Slash's aggressive and searing sound. Adlers drums sound huge without that awful 80's tackiness and the bass with it's slight chorus effect sounds brilliant. Axl's vocals lie perfectly in the mix.

And Justice for all-  If only they turned the bass up ! I absolutely adore how this album sounds. If you've ever played this on a good system you'll know why i picked it. Poor Lars gets slated alot and probably deserves it but goddamn the drums sound amazing on this, the guitars slice through the mix like a razor.

Wu Tang Forever- Maybe it's blasphemy for most Wu fans but i favour this over 36 chambers. RZA ditched his purposely cheap sounding grimey sound and went full cinematic on our arses here. It just sounds huge and so ahead of it's time, songs For Heavens sake and Heaterz sound like Mozart had got his hands on some beat making equipment.

Edited by Silverburst80

Off my head,

Appetite - Slash has never sounded this good and it has this greasy rhythm which the Illusions lacked

Zuma - Neil's guitar sound!

The Stones Jimmy Miller albums (Exile etc.)

Off the Wall, Quincy Jones. It sounds fantastic, big swirling strings.

Time Out of Mind

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Off my head,

Appetite - Slash has never sounded this good and it has this greasy rhythm which the Illusions lacked

Zuma - Neil's guitar sound!

The Stones Jimmy Miller albums (Exile etc.)

Off the Wall, Quincy Jones. It sounds fantastic, big swirling strings.

Time Out of Mind

The drums are a big point of contention for me on Illusions, they sound nice and in the pocket on some tracks but lack that swing and "wall of sound" Adler and Clink had going on Appetite on others.