Your top 5 solo artists of all time

Sosso

45 minutes ago, maynard said:

Really trying to get into Todd Rundgren and I'm sure he's one of the greats. I like those artists who record all the instruments, produce, mix, etc. But damn this is hard.... his music is not for everybody.

Me too funnily enough, recently downloaded some of his stuff and some of it is really good, other stuff is 'what the fuck is that!' :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Me too funnily enough, recently downloaded some of his stuff and some of it is really good, other stuff is 'what the fuck is that!' :lol:

Can you recommend me some of his 'normal' songs a la 'Can We Still Be Friends'?

2 hours ago, maynard said:

Can you recommend me some of his 'normal' songs a la 'Can We Still Be Friends'?

Oh, in terms of song titles I'd be struggling, this is literally just a few nights ago I downloaded a chunk of his solo stuff and some Utopia albums. The double album 'Something/Anything?' is really good, 'Nearly Human' also, there's a track on there called 'The Want Of A Nail' which I really like, although it's a bit wacky. The Utopia track 'Love In Action' is quality as well.

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Oh, in terms of song titles I'd be struggling, this is literally just a few nights ago I downloaded a chunk of his solo stuff and some Utopia albums. The double album 'Something/Anything?' is really good, 'Nearly Human' also, there's a track on there called 'The Want Of A Nail' which I really like, although it's a bit wacky. The Utopia track 'Love In Action' is quality as well.

Rundgren is wacky as hell. But you end up appreciating it more and more as you go along (well, usually). Hermit Of Mink Hollow is a great mix of his weird and catchy sides, while Todd is tougher to get through. But they're both rewarding in their own ways. Something/Anything? and A Wizard, A True Star are the masterpieces. But definitely give some of those others a go. Same with Initiation and Healing. Those two have excellent moments as well.

Edited by Zeppelin

10 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Rundgren is wacky as hell. But you end up appreciating it more and more as you go along (well, usually). Hermit Of Mink Hollow is a great mix of his weird and catchy sides, while Todd is tougher to get through. But they're both rewarding in their own ways. Something/Anything? and A Wizard, A True Star are the masterpieces. But definitely give some of those others a go. Same with Initiation and Healing.

Cheers mate, yeah, will do. He's one of those artists where, obviously I've known his name for years but just never looked into his stuff really, he's sort of passed me by. I suppose we've all got a few of those. It's the main reason I like being on here, seeing the tunes/artists people post about and checking them out if I haven't heard much by them. I like what I've heard so far but there's a hell of a lot to get through. I also like the fact he called an album 'Todd Rundgren's Johnson.' :lol:

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Cheers mate, yeah, will do. He's one one of those artists where, obviously I've known his name for years but just never looked into his stuff really, he's sort of passed me by. I suppose we've all got a few of those. It's the main reason I like being on here, seeing the tunes/artists people post about and checking them out if I haven't heard much by them. I like what I've heard so far but there's a hell of a lot to get through. I also like the fact he called an album 'Todd Rundgren's Johnson.' :lol:

:lol: Yeah, he can be pretty cheeky. Even his modern records have a lot of quirkiness to them.

4 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

:lol: Yeah, he can be pretty cheeky. Even his modern records have a lot of quirkiness to them.

I really like that one, really nice tribute to Robert Johnson, I was listening to it last night after I did that quote. :lol: Was also listening to his latest one 'White Knight'.

4 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I really like that one, really nice tribute to Robert Johnson, I was listening to it last night after I did that quote. :lol: Was also listening to his latest one 'White Knight'.

It is pretty good. White Knight is also pretty good, though I think I prefer his 2015 album, Global. But they're both good. If you work your way through his more modern releases, you'll have to let me know how you like them. Especially Liars. I hated that one when I first heard it, but it ended up becoming one of my favourites after years of not liking it. Probably the most significant turnaround I've ever had on a single album hah.

14 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

It is pretty good. White Knight is also pretty good, though I think I prefer his 2015 album, Global. But they're both good. If you work your way through his more modern releases, you'll have to let me know how you like them. Especially Liars. I hated that one when I first heard it, but it ended up becoming one of my favourites after years of not liking it. Probably the most significant turnaround I've ever had on a single album hah.

Just looked at the stuff I've got... I haven't got 'Global' but I have 'Liars'. From the others you mentioned before, I have 'A Wizard, A True Star', 'Initiation' and 'Todd' so I'll have a proper listen to those next.

• Like 1