5 things you didn't know about Axl's 2002 VMA Performance

On 29/11/2017 at 12:31 AM, RONIN said:

You see - I don't think it was that bad. He's certainly no worse there than he is now or even during the Illusion tour. The reason I think that performance hurt his credibility so badly was that brief portion during Jungle where he's out of breath. He still manages to close out Jungle reasonably well from there and both Paradise City and Madagascar were serviceable enough. Maybe because Axl didn't totally kill that performance after a decade away + the freakshow aspect = massive disappointment 

He really needed to blow people away with that show and he ended up falling short. Still delivered a pretty good-ish one overall with an unfortunately embarrassing moment during Jungle where he ran out of breath. 

No worse than he is now or on the Illusions tour?

He sounds way better now on those 3 songs than he did at this performance and I don't think you've seen a single show from the UYI tour if you believe your opinion.

On 11/29/2017 at 6:47 PM, Fashionista said:

This sums it up

2002-axl-rose-2236126.jpg

Last time the public at large saw Axl, he looked like this 

elton-john-axl-rose-of-guns-n-roses-and-

Now, he looked like a cross between Jar Jar Binks, the Predator, and 50 Cent, and sounded like Mickey Mouse, with a band of guys who had no chemistry on stage.

He also should've played more new songs. Do a medley of Jungle, Chinese D, Maddy, and PC. Look like he did at the House of Blues in Dec 2001. Sound like he did on Live Era.

I know its been debated to death but you really have to wonder what happened to him after Rio. Even with the extra weight he put on, Axl still looked like Axl during his Rio performance. 

The whole VMA performance I was pumped for and I actually enjoyed the performance overall until the novelty wore off and I re-watched it again...and felt...let down. Being in high school at the time, I was known at the GN'R kid because everyday I'd wear a different GN'R shirt, I'd spout off trivia about them to anyone who cared to listen, I'd made my own fanpage in web design class, I made my own GN'R version of the Yesterdays video using my family photos. Then the next day, people were like...so thats Guns N' Roses? I couldn't find it in myseslf to try and stick up for the band...I couldn't find an excuse on why Axl gave such a lackluster performance on the classics and why he looked so odd and unAxl-ish...

On 11/30/2017 at 5:27 AM, AlexC said:

No worse than he is now or on the Illusions tour?

He sounds way better now on those 3 songs than he did at this performance and I don't think you've seen a single show from the UYI tour if you believe your opinion.

He sounded like he was gargling glass during some of the '91 shows. Or like a red haired cat in a blender.

Aside from that awful 10-15 seconds during Jungle where he loses his breath, I don't think he did all that badly. Amazing intro scream and he ended Jungle decently. Madagascar sounded pretty good. Paradise City was certainly no worse than his performance at Rio a few months back. Opinions vary, but I think the performance is blasted because expectations were through the roof for Axl's return and he didn't blow them all away.